What does a rotator cuff injury feel like?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Dead Roman, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Dead Roman Orange Belt

I have a doctors appointment on wenesday. I'm having problems with my shoulder. I'm feeling intense pain in the center of my range of motion. I'm also experiencing a loss of strength. I'm thinking it's probably rotator cuff.

2. Derv_Head Orange Belt

I recently had something similar and it turned out to be a trapped nerve.

It was fine after a few weeks of physiotherapy.

3. Il Wop-O Green Belt

That could be any number of things - rotator cuff, labrum, separation. No way to tell via Sherdog description.

But when I tore my rotator cuff (85% tear), it was a constant dull pain when my arm was supported, hurt like hell when my arm hung free, and my range of motion went only about 20-30 degrees from dead bottom in any direction, front, back, or to the side.

It was my right shoulder, too. I will tell you, I will never again take for granted the ability to brush my teeth, put on deodorant, and wash my hair with both hands!

4. village_idiot Blue Belt

Sharp pain with a throwing motion. Feels like the shoulder is coming apart with sustained pressure in a pressing motion. Mine would frequently make a clicking noise with various movements.

If you do have a rotator cuff injury, like always the most important thing is to be consistent with the physiotherapy... it did wonders for me.

Hope this helps.

5. flipspeed Yellow Belt

I get that clicking/snapping noise on my shoulder sometimes... my best guess is that my rotator cuff muscles aren't strong enough to hold the socket in place?? Did you have to do surgery or just did phs therapy strengthening the rotator cuff muscles?

6. Baconator69** Banned Banned

7. rndmhero30 White Belt

I tore both my rotator cuff and bicep tendon in my left it it felt very much like Iloop-o described. Hopefully ur smaller muscles in ur shoulder are just strained and some time off/physical therapy can fix it. Have you had problems with it dislocating?

8. flipspeed Yellow Belt

No dislocations, just soreness and pain sometimes after a long game of basketball, or lifting weights using the shoulder muscles, or a hard training @ bjj. It would get to the point where i cant lift up my arms completely because of pain. the snapping sounds anyone can feel if they put their hand on my shoulder, freaks my gf out like crazy lol.

9. rndmhero30 White Belt

You can hear my clicking noises across the room bc I'm an idiot and didn't let it heal properly. If you put ur elbow to your ribs directly on your side and move your arm horizontally does it hurt like hell?

10. bjornvil Blue Belt

I almost dislocated my shoulder once... ever since I can hardly throw a ball without jacking up my shoulder...

I tap early to kimuras/americanas :)

11. Tony Manifold Brown Belt

All I will say is get it fixed and rehab properly. The shoulder is the second hardest joint to deal with (next to the knee) because it is so complex. I torn my rotator cuffs and a did a bunch of other damage and it was diagnosed wrong. Because I didn't think it was that serious, I didn't rehab it. A year or two later, I put a lot of stress on it for a few months and I couldn't even do a push up properly or hold my arm out to my side for more than 30 seconds. It took me almost a year of ART, Chiropractic and finally rehab to get it back to about 85% and it won't get much better than that. I had to stopp BJJ for about 4 months too.

Take the time to fix right the first time, believe me.

12. flipspeed Yellow Belt

Across the room??!?! lol wow that sounds really bad. it doesn't hurt, but on bad days, it'll feel a lil stiff doing that motion, or some slight pain. Like the other poster said, i tap early to kimuras (i actually tell my opponents ahead of time that if they lock up their kimuras, they don't have to torque it, listen for my tap lol)

I am glad to see that it doesn't mean i have to do surgery right away, (will do an appointment soon with a shoulder doctor, whatever they call it). I've had acl surgery in the past so I'm definitely looking to avoid surgery as much as possible.

13. ztt1 Orange Belt

How does a rotator cuff injury feel??? When I tore mine, it felt like I was giving birth through my fucking shoulder!

14. rndmhero30 White Belt

Fact