what does a purple belt mean to you?

lowdown1

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
so there have been whispers of me getting my purple belt soon. and I don't feel ready for it, I understand that my instructor knows when I'm ready and when I'm not but what do you people feel like a purple belt means? Solid game,decent comp record, understands all positions and has a game plan from every one, Self defense teq.? solid take downs, It has all just got me wondering. I respect the opinion of you guys/gals and would really appreciate some insight on what this belt means to you.....thanks

it means it's easier for me to find my belt when it falls off. =)

you're on the right track, don't stress it.

it means it's easier for me to find my belt when it falls off. =)

you're on the right track, don't stress it.

that sounds like the best advice, I just remember as a white belt and rolling with purples and thinking to myself no way I can ever be this good. So as a goal I told myself I will be that good and someday get a purple belt.(I guess good is all relative at this point) that's probably why im making it a big deal in my eyes.I will just shut up and keep training now and be happy for myself when the day comes

that sounds like the best advice, I just remember as a white belt and rolling with purples and thinking to myself no way I can ever be this good. So as a goal I told myself I will be that good and someday get a purple belt.(I guess good is all relative at this point) that's probably why im making it a big deal in my eyes.I will just shut up and keep training now and be happy for myself when the day comes

Pretty much,

I had that conversation with an old teamate which I trained with for the past 8 years.

he told me how amazing it was the first he was taught omoplata!

at the time, we used to look up to anyone that had a blue belt.

To me, getting any belt means you're starting to learn Jiu-Jitsu.

Discipline. Most guys I see who are purple and up are the most disciplined guys in the gym. I like purple. Being the next step I hope to reach it in good time even though I have no hurry.

Congrats. the real fun begins. White belts fear you, blue belts gun for you. Now you are Advance. Get to look forward to rolling with black belts in no gi... Its gonna be fun.

It means you are able to fight wherever you choose. Top/bottom doesn't matter too much anymore- you're sharp everywhere. You may be better at one or the other, but good at both. Submissions are now coming from tons of different spots, including odd positions you've never played in before. You should be able to catch the higher belts (including black belts) on occasion.

It means you get looks of admiration from white belts, you get more questions during open mat, you get guys who get a little nervous when you ask them to roll. It means you're a representative of the gym, you're maybe asked to teach some. You get tasked with making sure the white belts don't do anything dumb and hurt each other. The list goes on.

Purple belt means you're starting to "get" it.

I'm not a purple belt but I view purple belts as guys that almost know everything. Any question you might have, they have at least some kind of answer. They may not have 100% details on all positions like a solid black belt, but they have go-to, effective techniques from pretty much every single position.

As far as rolling, I see them having their personal solid game, but are decent at most things and aren't afraid to branch out and try new techniques. I think a really important thing in improving is just to try new things and believe in the technique even if it's not part of what you consider your game.

that I will be busy defending and not getting any kind of game going

As lowly white belt it means you have attained the status of a god because I have a hard enough time with white belts who've been training longer than me, let alone blue belts and up.

It is the first real belt for me that means you're beyond what i would consider the drop-off curve. White and Blue belts seem to come and go, but to reach the rank of purple you've got to have some killer tenacity to hit that point especially at a gym like mine where under no circumstance will you see it before you've been rolling for a minimum of 5-6 years.

Back