What does a "consultant" do?

CroSpartacus

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I have a possible job offer to work for a sales consulting firm as a junior-consultant. I applied for the job and received a call the same day for an interview, I attended the interview for 10 minutes and was called back for a second one.

The interviewer did not dwell into the specifics of the job duties, but I imagined that a consulting firm gives advice to businesses in how to cut costs. However, after doing more research I am finding that sometimes a "sales-consultant" is the same as a "salesman."

I don't want to be selling products to customers like you see in malls. I am really hoping this is not one of those jobs where they want you to cold call people or sell items for commission.

Anyone have experience in "consulting" firms or the functions of a "junior consultant?" I assumed when I applied that I would work directly with business officials.

What's the name of the business?

You are going to be selling used vacuum cleaners door to door

the term "consultant" is a broad term. i'm an architect and we work with "consultants" that are structural, mechanical, electrical, civil engineers. all depends on what the nature of the business i guess.

If it is white collar, the real crux of the business is sucking up to people so they give you business. Much like RE agent, Financial Consultant, Lawyer your livelihood is dependant on how many referrals you can get, and how many of those referrals you can get to give you business.

As a sales consultant, I imagine you will be just the people that market another business's products for them. I mean, why would anyone hire someone to "'advise' them on how to sell"? Just hire people to go out and push, and pay them on commission base only.

it means contract work. do a real good job because if they want to hire you for good you'll hold all the bargaining chips

I got an immediate red flag when you said you might have a job offer yet you don't know exactly what they do. An interviewer should never shy away from that.

I've tried doing a bit of searching on google, and judging by their employees posted, I'm guessing it's a sale job. I did find this: http://www.indeed.com/forum/cmp/D1-...g-Group-Inc-Salaries-Bonuses-Benefits/t463160

Question:

What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at D1 Consulting Group, Inc.?

What do you like best about working at D1 Consulting Group, Inc.? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

Answer: I put in a good 50 hours my first week (training) and sold 8 apps with my trainers ( a decent amount) and made 204 dollars. That's 2 dollars an hour in case you were wondering. I quit after my first week.

This specific is broken, but if you type in google "D1 consulting sales job review" you'll see the second link (broken) says:

This position is door to door sales.

On this guys LinkedIn (http://www.linkedin.com/in/trevorgibb), it says the following:

D1 Marketing was originally founded in 2004 as Dish One Satellite. Since that time D1 has been one of the elite Door-to-Door marketing companies to work for in the Western United States.

I have a possible job offer to work for a sales consulting firm as a junior-consultant. I applied for the job and received a call the same day for an interview, I attended the interview for 10 minutes and was called back for a second one.

The interviewer did not dwell into the specifics of the job duties, but I imagined that a consulting firm gives advice to businesses in how to cut costs. However, after doing more research I am finding that sometimes a "sales-consultant" is the same as a "salesman."

I don't want to be selling products to customers like you see in malls. I am really hoping this is not one of those jobs where they want you to cold call people or sell items for commission.

Anyone have experience in "consulting" firms or the functions of a "junior consultant?" I assumed when I applied that I would work directly with business officials.

dude how old are you???

If you already had one interview and you still dont know what you are going to do... I dont know what to tell you man, but most likely you will be selling $5 shit out of your car in every mall in your city... yep thats what they call "sales consulting" becase you will be consulting people into buying your $5 shit...good luck!

Last edited:
Do you have a degree in business or did you just apply to this place without having any real qualifications? If it's the latter, then you're going to be a salesman for a scammy type company.

Thanks for the info guys. I did suspect it was some sort of scam since I received calls very quickly and there is little information posted about the job duties. I have an economics degree and thought I would actually be doing work that is not for high schoolers. I am not a person who wants to make a living based on selling on commission, some can do it but it's not for me.

Oblivian did the sleuthing, but even before that, everything you posted screamed door to door sales.

Sorry man, it's not likely a job you want to land.

Watch Office Space.

There is a guy in my office now that I call "the Bobs" and I honestly don't think he has any idea why I do it.

Thanks for the info guys. I did suspect it was some sort of scam since I received calls very quickly and there is little information posted about the job duties. I have an economics degree and thought I would actually be doing work that is not for high schoolers. I am not a person who wants to make a living based on selling on commission, some can do it but it's not for me.

D1 is not a scam company, but it is a pretty shitty job. Basically, large companies outsource their shitty sales jobs to D1.

Back