What do you use when someone stands to pass?

I wrestle the fuck out of them. If anyone every tries to standing pass, I know I will win that battle.

I'll ask a question to this question. What do people use against the standing pass in no-gi?

I'll ask a question to this question. What do people use against the standing pass in no-gi?
single leg X sweep.

My guard game basically consists of stalling until the guy stands, then single leg X. It is pretty much the only thing I've found which allows me to reliably sweep people. I typically don't even go for the legs from there, I just come up on top.

In the gi, generally a cross collar grip looking to go DLR -> 1X. I do a similar thing in no-gi, but without the collar I'm usually going shin-shin with a grip behind the knee or a 2-1 if uke is posturing a little lower. I've been using a few entries into what Alberto Crane calls the 50/0 lately and that's been working well, I'm also not afraid at all to shoot doubles and singles off my butt if uke is being a little cagey and disengaging while standing a bit too tall.

Switch schools if someone passing standing is an abnormality to you :D:D

single leg X sweep.

My guard game basically consists of stalling until the guy stands, then single leg X. It is pretty much the only thing I've found which allows me to reliably sweep people. I typically don't even go for the legs from there, I just come up on top.

in nogi i play pretty similarly but now that im focusing on some leglock finishes its making the overall application that much more dangerous. Im still in the midst of getting better at them but for the last 6-8 months i really focused on ankle locks/toe holds/knee bars out of the slx situations/scrambles. I def get way more subs nogi than ever before. It has also translated to the gi as well altho not as huge an increase as nogi. still feels nice to marcelo sweep ppl right into an ankle lock and they are tapping as soon as the sweep happens.

Would love to add heel hooks to the mix but only a handful of guys at my gym really wanna roll with them. The fear factor is real, bruhs. Im not that worried. If your partner has half a brain he is catch n release.

I'll either use DLR, Standup myself, or Butterfly/X-Guard.

make sure you have some type of grip, and don't let them get a pants grip. then it's into x or single x for me. eddie cummings has a video somewhere on youtube of a drill that I do every time I train. basically pulling yourself into those guards from opponent in combat base or standing

Ex guarj. Single X. Della Heevuh. "Imanari roll" for kneebars or other leg locks.

I wrestle the fuck out of them. If anyone every tries to standing pass, I know I will win that battle.

So when someone stands, are you standing too (or coming to your knees to shoot from a crouch)? Or are you shooting off your butt? Because I try to wrestle against standing passing, but often as not I end up getting put back on my back when I transition from the guard to a kneeling position to shoot.

So when someone stands, are you standing too (or coming to your knees to shoot from a crouch)? Or are you shooting off your butt? Because I try to wrestle against standing passing, but often as not I end up getting put back on my back when I transition from the guard to a kneeling position to shoot.
I usually play half, butterfly, half with hook, or a weird reverse shin guard. Getting to the legs from those positions is very easy, which is why I play them.

I do not stand unless the guy has REALLY good single defense or is looking to step over arm bar. I usually go to my knees. Finishing a single or double off your butt is pretty much impossible. You have to transition up. Also, I am not really shooting per se, Im more attacking during my transition up to my knees.

I usually play half, butterfly, half with hook, or a weird reverse shin guard. Getting to the legs from those positions is very easy, which is why I play them.

I do not stand unless the guy has REALLY good single defense or is looking to step over arm bar. I usually go to my knees. Finishing a single or double off your butt is pretty much impossible. You have to transition up. Also, I am not really shooting per se, Im more attacking during my transition up to my knees.

So you're just getting to your knees, getting to a leg, and finishing from there? Makes sense.

Is this something you can do because you're a much better wrestler than virtually everyone in BJJ, or is it how you would recommend everyone do it? I ask because transitioning up to a single like you describe is my go to against people that like to dance around without pressure, but I almost always come to my feet. Do you stay low and circle behind or how do you finish it?

Collar and Sleeve (Dariush Guard) is the best for me...very dominant, even against a standing opponent. If the guy is more careful and I can't establish good grips, I've got a weak but developing DLR game. I don't know...I feel like every guard but spider variants leaves way too much control in your opponent's hands when when they are standing. Trying to work a hook/crook based guard like X or DLR always leaves you a hair's breadth away from a dicey passing situation...or in other words your open guard retention better be hot shit.

Body types matter a lot too, though. If you are stubby little manlet, you raise your knee it's going to find a purchase or put you in butterfly 90% of the time. As a a pretty tall guy, my wriggling a knee in under cramped conditions is a really bad bet. I either want you stretched out with my feet keeping you at bay or completely sucked into my closed guard.

Switch schools if someone passing standing is an abnormality to you :D:D

I really find the attitude above quite weird, especially with all the shit that guards like spider and dlr gets for not being "street applicable". Standing passes are just as unrealistic from a fighting perspective, if not more so, as they rely on that the opponent is content to be on bottom. Sure, standing passes might be effective, but if you've worked to get somebody on their , wouldn't you want to keep that person there, and not just let them up? The big reason people have for playing all these fancy open guards is that people passes standing, so I wonder why this modern passing strategy never faces as much critique as all the modern guards.

Anyway, as several people have already told the OP, if someone stands up, take that as an invitation to stand up as well and work on your take downs. If you feel you really want to work on your guard game, my preferences is collar guard ala Kron Gracie with the gi, and 1LX/X-guard ala Marcelo Garcia nogi. They are a bit easier on the fingers than spider and dlr, which actually becomes more and more of an issue the longer you train.

Depending on the circumstance, I either go to x guard or a leg lock.

Back