1. Sherdog will be undergoing additional maintenance in a few hours, lasting until 6am EST. The site may experience some technical difficulties during this time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

What do you use when someone stands to pass?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Nnedd, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Nnedd

Nnedd Centaur Booty Belt

I have my own stuff, but I'm interested to get the input of this forum. This is a good collection of capable grapplers, and I'm interested to see what people use. To either sweep, defend, or escape.

2. kpoz12

kpoz12 The No Life King Platinum Member

I'll always try to whip up and attack a single leg/sinlge leg getup, but in terms of a guard, X-Guard in all its forms is my go to. Or, I'll keep one really solid butterfly hook behind their knee, and then put my foot either on their hip, or the front of the knee, or get another hook depending on how they react. But mostly, X Guard and SLX.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    Nnedd likes this.
  3. berimBOWLoh

berimBOWLoh Silver Belt

i find most ppl stand to pass. i play guard when they do. its a pretty vague question tbh. it all depends on what grips, posture, pressure they are using. or do you mean they are at range and nobody has grips??

like i said, its vague.

4. flyingnecklock

flyingnecklock Brown Belt

De la riva guard. If I lose grips then I sit up and attack a single leg.

5. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

Lapel and sleeve guard, spider guard, DLR, rdlr, whatever I can do

6. lts5025

lts5025 "What the **** is a Dim Mack?"

Shin to shin, DLR, RDLR, X, spider in the gi. There are so many options against a standing opponent that I almost never pass standing. Too many things to worry about.

Dogstarman and Nnedd like this.
  7. Rico

Rico Franklin Platinum Member

I use 1lx for everything lol

Nnedd likes this.
  8. Nnedd

Nnedd Centaur Booty Belt

It is vague, you're right. I guess that almost answers part of what I'm asking, which is that if someone stands to pass, you try to get the grips you want and regulate distance.

9. Nnedd

Nnedd Centaur Booty Belt

Yeah. I feel much the same. I'd much rather go tight or stay down with good posture.

10. Nnedd

Nnedd Centaur Booty Belt

This is similar to how I roll. I like to hook inside the leg to try to almost combat stand up into a single or double leg. The rest of what you are describing is really similar to drills that we do in class, just staying oriented to your opponent and regulating space.

11. kpoz12

Yeah, really, as soon as the guy disengages from pinning me in guard (or as soon as I can create space), I am immediately either hitting a Technical Standup, or attacking a Single Leg. But if I do wanna "play guard", that's what I do. I am definitely more of a "scramble wrestling" kind of guy from the bottom, which leads to a lot of my Kimuras as well.

Nnedd likes this.
  12. Nnedd

Nnedd Centaur Booty Belt

We are really similar, in the sense that we are both clinically insane.

But in a grappling sense as well. I am not a sweep guy from the bottom, and I sell out on kimuras during scrambles. My training partners comment during our conversations that my game is to escape and wrestle.

I'm trying to build on that though, and give advice to other people in the gym as they ask me. I know that what works for me doesn't work for everyone, which prompted this thread. It's easy to say, "Ask so and so, he does well there", but I'd like to be beyond that, and have advice to give instead of just referring.

ngarauru likes this.
  13. RJ Green

RJ Green Black Belt

Judo

TC100FL likes this.
  14. kpoz12

eYe rlly am cRazy as a dracula etc.

I have been fortunate to train with tons oftop MMA Fighters/Grapplers such asDan Severn, BTT's Marcello Grosso, Tito Ortiz, Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, "Tank" Abbott, MFS/Matt Hughes/Robbie Lawler/Tim Sylvia, Saulo Ribiero, Eddie Bravo,Gene LeBell/Gokor, Black House (Lyoto Machida/Anderson Silva), Romulo Barral, Wajitsu KK/Yushi Okami, Grabaka, Alliance, Various Gracie/Machado Affiliates, JKD/Muay Thai/Shooto schools etc.
    I've competed against two UFC#1 Contenders Jeremy Horn & Yuki Kondo as well as against MTV's Bully Beatdown Host Jason "Mayhem" Miller! I've won 3 NHB/MMA Fights by first round Submission as well as many Advanced Grappling Matches by Submission! I had a 1 Hour Long 85% Real Fight at Takada Dojo vs Sakuraba's Protege Sato for Pride President Takada! I was fortunate to fight and train in Japan many times + train Muay Thai Kickboxing in Thailand! I've trained many different martial arts since 1986, and hardcore MMA & Grappling training since 1997 with more of the world's best fighters and coaches than probably any other. Highly Ranked in Japanese MMA/Karate Hybrid Daidojuku, Tae Kwon Do, Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, Hayastan Grappling System (Mixture of Catch Wrestling, Judo, Jiu-jitsu, & Sambo under Gokor Chivichyan & Judo Gene LeBell), and Aikido. I also bounced for 12 years, survived a 2 on 1 Stick Attack, Survived a 10 on 1 Attack, and have extensive Combatives/Russian Martial Arts knowledge. Founder of Catch-Jitsu, Karate Go Jiu-jitsu, MMA Neo Striking, & Wolfman Combatives

dmwalking likes this.
  15. Papawash

Papawash clean and fresh

Man that's a wall if I've ever seen one. I use DLR and shin to shin if the angle is towards my left, X on the right

16. jack36767

jack36767 Brown Belt

Oh Kpoz.. don't try to hard.

17. HtomSirveaux

HtomSirveaux Blue Belt

Feet on hips, tripod and sickle sweep combo

18. inverted vortex

inverted vortex Orange Belt

ideally I get a collar grip, but I really like transitioning between a lot of different guards depending on how the person is attacking. I'll always look for a hook of some sort to disrupt their movement and try not to let them get close enough to smash, unless it's on my terms. my hips are my strength, so I need to keep them free and active. I've been playing around with RDLR and SLX lately.

19. Rico

Rico Franklin Platinum Member

To elaborate a little more on this, I either try to knock them on their ass/side and attack the legs or come up on a single. My sweep game is primarily wrestling from my back/butt. I just do it from 1lx or butterfly.

Steve08 likes this.
  20. hanfeng

hanfeng White Belt

reverse dlr