What do you use when someone stands to pass?

Nnedd

Centaur Booty Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
I have my own stuff, but I'm interested to get the input of this forum. This is a good collection of capable grapplers, and I'm interested to see what people use. To either sweep, defend, or escape.

I'll always try to whip up and attack a single leg/sinlge leg getup, but in terms of a guard, X-Guard in all its forms is my go to. Or, I'll keep one really solid butterfly hook behind their knee, and then put my foot either on their hip, or the front of the knee, or get another hook depending on how they react. But mostly, X Guard and SLX.

Last edited:
i find most ppl stand to pass. i play guard when they do. its a pretty vague question tbh. it all depends on what grips, posture, pressure they are using. or do you mean they are at range and nobody has grips??

like i said, its vague.

De la riva guard. If I lose grips then I sit up and attack a single leg.

Lapel and sleeve guard, spider guard, DLR, rdlr, whatever I can do

Shin to shin, DLR, RDLR, X, spider in the gi. There are so many options against a standing opponent that I almost never pass standing. Too many things to worry about.

I use 1lx for everything lol

i find most ppl stand to pass. i play guard when they do. its a pretty vague question tbh. it all depends on what grips, posture, pressure they are using. or do you mean they are at range and nobody has grips??

like i said, its vague.

It is vague, you're right. I guess that almost answers part of what I'm asking, which is that if someone stands to pass, you try to get the grips you want and regulate distance.

Shin to shin, DLR, RDLR, X, spider in the gi. There are so many options against a standing opponent that I almost never pass standing. Too many things to worry about.

Yeah. I feel much the same. I'd much rather go tight or stay down with good posture.

I'll always try to whip up and attack a single leg/sinlge leg getup, but in terms of a guard, X-Guard in all its forms is my go to. Or, I'll keep one really solid butterfly hook behind their knee, and then put my foot either on their hip, or the front of the knee, or get another hook depending on how they react. But mostly, X Guard and SLX.

This is similar to how I roll. I like to hook inside the leg to try to almost combat stand up into a single or double leg. The rest of what you are describing is really similar to drills that we do in class, just staying oriented to your opponent and regulating space.

Yeah, really, as soon as the guy disengages from pinning me in guard (or as soon as I can create space), I am immediately either hitting a Technical Standup, or attacking a Single Leg. But if I do wanna "play guard", that's what I do. I am definitely more of a "scramble wrestling" kind of guy from the bottom, which leads to a lot of my Kimuras as well.

Yeah, really, as soon as the guy disengages from pinning me in guard (or as soon as I can create space), I am immediately either hitting a Technical Standup, or attacking a Single Leg. But if I do wanna "play guard", that's what I do. I am definitely more of a "scramble wrestling" kind of guy from the bottom, which leads to a lot of my Kimuras as well.

We are really similar, in the sense that we are both clinically insane.

But in a grappling sense as well. I am not a sweep guy from the bottom, and I sell out on kimuras during scrambles. My training partners comment during our conversations that my game is to escape and wrestle.

I'm trying to build on that though, and give advice to other people in the gym as they ask me. I know that what works for me doesn't work for everyone, which prompted this thread. It's easy to say, "Ask so and so, he does well there", but I'd like to be beyond that, and have advice to give instead of just referring.

We are really similar, in the sense that we are both clinically insane.

eYe rlly am cRazy as a dracula etc.

I have been fortunate to train with tons oftop MMA Fighters/Grapplers such asDan Severn, BTT's Marcello Grosso, Tito Ortiz, Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, "Tank" Abbott, MFS/Matt Hughes/Robbie Lawler/Tim Sylvia, Saulo Ribiero, Eddie Bravo,Gene LeBell/Gokor, Black House (Lyoto Machida/Anderson Silva), Romulo Barral, Wajitsu KK/Yushi Okami, Grabaka, Alliance, Various Gracie/Machado Affiliates, JKD/Muay Thai/Shooto schools etc.
I've competed against two UFC#1 Contenders Jeremy Horn & Yuki Kondo as well as against MTV's Bully Beatdown Host Jason "Mayhem" Miller! I've won 3 NHB/MMA Fights by first round Submission as well as many Advanced Grappling Matches by Submission! I had a 1 Hour Long 85% Real Fight at Takada Dojo vs Sakuraba's Protege Sato for Pride President Takada! I was fortunate to fight and train in Japan many times + train Muay Thai Kickboxing in Thailand! I've trained many different martial arts since 1986, and hardcore MMA & Grappling training since 1997 with more of the world's best fighters and coaches than probably any other. Highly Ranked in Japanese MMA/Karate Hybrid Daidojuku, Tae Kwon Do, Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, Hayastan Grappling System (Mixture of Catch Wrestling, Judo, Jiu-jitsu, & Sambo under Gokor Chivichyan & Judo Gene LeBell), and Aikido. I also bounced for 12 years, survived a 2 on 1 Stick Attack, Survived a 10 on 1 Attack, and have extensive Combatives/Russian Martial Arts knowledge. Founder of Catch-Jitsu, Karate Go Jiu-jitsu, MMA Neo Striking, & Wolfman Combatives

Man that's a wall if I've ever seen one. I use DLR and shin to shin if the angle is towards my left, X on the right

eYe rlly am cRazy as a dracula etc.

I have been fortunate to train with tons oftop MMA Fighters/Grapplers such asDan Severn, BTT's Marcello Grosso, Tito Ortiz, Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, "Tank" Abbott, MFS/Matt Hughes/Robbie Lawler/Tim Sylvia, Saulo Ribiero, Eddie Bravo,Gene LeBell/Gokor, Black House (Lyoto Machida/Anderson Silva), Romulo Barral, Wajitsu KK/Yushi Okami, Grabaka, Alliance, Various Gracie/Machado Affiliates, JKD/Muay Thai/Shooto schools etc.
I've competed against two UFC#1 Contenders Jeremy Horn & Yuki Kondo as well as against MTV's Bully Beatdown Host Jason "Mayhem" Miller! I've won 3 NHB/MMA Fights by first round Submission as well as many Advanced Grappling Matches by Submission! I had a 1 Hour Long 85% Real Fight at Takada Dojo vs Sakuraba's Protege Sato for Pride President Takada! I was fortunate to fight and train in Japan many times + train Muay Thai Kickboxing in Thailand! I've trained many different martial arts since 1986, and hardcore MMA & Grappling training since 1997 with more of the world's best fighters and coaches than probably any other. Highly Ranked in Japanese MMA/Karate Hybrid Daidojuku, Tae Kwon Do, Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, Hayastan Grappling System (Mixture of Catch Wrestling, Judo, Jiu-jitsu, & Sambo under Gokor Chivichyan & Judo Gene LeBell), and Aikido. I also bounced for 12 years, survived a 2 on 1 Stick Attack, Survived a 10 on 1 Attack, and have extensive Combatives/Russian Martial Arts knowledge. Founder of Catch-Jitsu, Karate Go Jiu-jitsu, MMA Neo Striking, & Wolfman Combatives
Oh Kpoz.. don't try to hard.

ideally I get a collar grip, but I really like transitioning between a lot of different guards depending on how the person is attacking. I'll always look for a hook of some sort to disrupt their movement and try not to let them get close enough to smash, unless it's on my terms. my hips are my strength, so I need to keep them free and active. I've been playing around with RDLR and SLX lately.

I use 1lx for everything lol
To elaborate a little more on this, I either try to knock them on their ass/side and attack the legs or come up on a single. My sweep game is primarily wrestling from my back/butt. I just do it from 1lx or butterfly.

Back