What do you think of Pearl Jam's new single? UPDATE: Full Album Released

Philo-Publius

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Update: Full Album "Gigaton" Released on March 25, 2020.

Pearl Jam's newest single:

I dig it. It's different from a lot of their previous stuff, but it has a hint of an 80's style to it.

Last edited:
Wow that’s cool. I’m not the biggest Pearl Jam fan, but I really dig this track. Bass is slinky and funky, and I really dig that guitar work.

Nice groove. Jagged lead guitar reminiscent of Gang of Four & Franz Ferdinand. Also Remain In Light era Talking Heads in there with the funky bass & drums and obscure lyrics.

Look forward to the album. It's called Gigaton & will be released March 27.

I dig it. Pearl jam has kinda turned into an indie band that sells out stadiums.

Not big fan of it.

I say this as someone who's favorite band is Pearl Jam for a long time running. Don't care for the electronic drumming sound and weirdly tweaked vocals. I hope the rest of the album is better.

Sounds more like a Bowie or Talking Heads song.

Not big fan of it.

I say this as someone who's favorite band is Pearl Jam for a long time running. Don't care for the electronic drumming sound and weirdly tweaked vocals. I hope the rest of the album is better.

Nailed it. Pearl Jam is long removed from its best work

Not big fan of it.

I was thinking it kind of sounds like Big Data ft. Eddie Vedder.

I was thinking it kind of sounds like Big Data ft. Eddie Vedder.
Yeah, I still see them all the time because they put on a great show. Easily my favorite band of the 90s but honestly after Riot Act in 2003, I can't say I'm a huge fan. I did like a few songs on the avocado album (2006) and a couple on Backspacer (2009) but it's just not the same. This new song is off the wall imo.

None the less, Absolutely loving everything through Binaural... even only liking 20 percent of everything after is still enough to keep me going to their shows.

Nice groove. Jagged lead guitar reminiscent of Gang of Four & Franz Ferdinand. Also Remain In Light era Talking Heads in there with the funky bass & drums and obscure lyrics.

Look forward to the album. It's called Gigaton & will be released March 27.
R.I.P. Andy Gill

Yeah, I still see them all the time because they put on a great show. Easily my favorite band of the 90s but honestly after Riot Act in 2003, I can't say I'm a huge fan. I did like a few songs on the avocado album (2006) and a couple on Backspacer (2009) but it's just not the same. This new song is off the wall imo.

None the less, Absolutely loving everything through Binaural... even only liking 20 percent of everything after is still enough to keep me going to their shows.

I'm hoping this single is the outlier, in that it's the kind of weird song that doesn't much reflect the rest of the album. Keep hoping for a return to pre-2003 form, but will wait for reviews before checking it out.

iu

Has anyone bought the Gigaton album yet? I was at Target the other day to buy it, and they were out like the toilet paper.

It sounds like Pearl Jam is trying to capture the essence of indie bands from the mid 2000s with a hint of 80s robotic drumming..........

Not big fan of it.

Ha, my first thought when I heard him repeat in the staccato, "...not negative, positive! Posi-- positive!" was, "I never thought I would hear Pearl Jam invoke The Talking Heads and The Cars."

So, yep, same. I don't mind the experimentation, but I'm not in love with the song, and it's surreal to hear Pearl Jam ramp an 80's-calibrated synthesizer when they were on the vanguard of the Grunge movement credited with killing the 80's synth New Wave. I do not prefer them in this style.

Ha, my first thought when I heard him repeat in the staccato, "...not negative, positive! Posi-- positive!" was, "I never thought I would hear Pearl Jam invoke The Talking Heads and The Cars."

So, yep, same. I don't mind the experimentation, but I'm not in love with the song, and it's surreal to hear Pearl Jam ramp an 80's-calibrated synthesizer when they were on the vanguard of the Grunge movement credited with killing the 80's synth New Wave. I do not prefer them in this style.
I was able to get the full album, and that is the only song on it with the "80's synth new wave" style.

Back