What do you think of my unorthodox training?

MarcoW

Bojacked Horsehungman
@Brown
Reaction score
Hey all I have been training Goju Ryu Karate for about 10 months (I'm an orange belt) and my dojo also offers a jujutsu program which is a unique-ish program that I have just started taking (tonight will be my third class). It is very convinient as either it is right after or right before my karate class on varying days of the week.

The jujutsu program is unorthodox because of the way it is run. Because of our karate background the dojo has links to more traditional programs and as such our sensei is a 5th dan in a variation of shindo-ryu japanese jujutsu. However we are also modern so he is a brown belt in brazillian jujitsu. Both are from legitimate lineages. In the jujutsu pacakage you get access to both classes. So I will tell you about both classes I've been to so far.

Last week or so I went to my first class and it was a Brazillian jujitsu class. We started with a simple warm up, run a few laps, side step and shuffle a few laps, back pedal etc. Then we did some stretches and laps doin shoulder rolls, shrimping, reverse shrimping, breakfalls, break falls with rolls.

After the warm up we got into pairs. I was with another new white belt. We worked on some basic sweeps I think, first I did a sweep they called the rainbow sweep, drilled it quite a few times, then we added a new sweep a scissor sweep. Then we did a drill where the person on top either put pressure down or postured up and you had to pick which pass to do. Then we added a pass to the drill I don't know what it was called (please inform if you know) where you trap one of the arms or both and then roll them to that side.

At the end of class a purple belt asked me about my previous grappling since he knew I had done some no gi in the past and some wrestling. So we did some no gi grappling for 5-10 minutes. I was able to squirm around and such but I wasn't able to do anything offensively at all. He only tapped me once with a triangle choke but it seemed he wasn't really trying and was just trying to work his guard (i was working outside of his guard trying to get to side control most of the time)...

The next class was yesterday I went to it was a Japanese jujtitsu class. It seemed a lot like a wrestling class (which I am used to, with slightly less intensity, we weren't permitted to slam our partners off the mats our first class).

First we did a similar warm up to brazillian jujitsu although slightly different, some stretches, etc. Next we partnered up again, I was with some guy who was just trying out the class but had apparently done judo previously (not to any major level). First we practiced a hip throw. We started going slow and eventually went faster, we didn't actually throw each other off the ground though we stopped where they were balancing on our hip. Then we practiced another takedown where you grab around the waste and put your leg behind them and sit down which ends with you in side control. We also practiced getting side control secure and holding down your opponent.

Last we practiced another takedown similar to a single leg but instead of pushing them over with your body you twist or tweak the knee which brings the other person to the ground. They say you can wreck a knee like this but I don't know about that, either way it worked well as a takedown.

How does this compare to other BJJ classes? In my no gi which was only like 10 classes of an hour and half each we pretty much did submissions all the time in drilling and not much guard passing or stuff like that.
I've never taken pure BJJ before though and wonder how this compares.
In terms of class breakdown it works on a weekly switching cycle. One week there will be 3 JJJ classes and 2 BJJ classes, then the next week there will be 2 jjj and 3 bjj classes.
The only other BJJ place around has 3 classes a week. I would prefer to stay where I am anyways.

You should edit the thread title to "What do you think of my completely normal and orthodox training?", because there's nothing unusual about anything you've posted.

Seems normal. Your old no-gi class being only submissions sounds like the weird one.

Seems normal. Your old no-gi class being only submissions sounds like the weird one.

it was a little weird
but it was a very condensed program so we did sweeps and passes in the first 2 weeks then mostly submissions for the last 8.
was very unbalanced

Sounds like you are just an inexperierenced grappler, no prob. Everything actually seems very basic.

I know for taking Traditional martial arts myself that the teaching philosophy is different.

They want you to learn what they want you to learn based on youre rank.

Its prtty cool though how you get TMA and jujitsu in the same dojo.

Keep it up bro you may find that you will outgrow your dojo as you will master the techniques that they will aloow you to learn and will have to wait to learn new techniques.

You should try a good ol mma gym for your grappling. You learn whatever you pick up from higher ranks or what youre instructor teaches that day.

Keep it up bro you may find that you will outgrow your dojo as you will master the techniques that they will aloow you to learn and will have to wait to learn new techniques.

His instructor is a brown belt. Unless TS is a grappling prodigy, it's unlikely he will exhaust his instructor's knowledge for several years, if ever.

His instructor is a brown belt. Unless TS is a grappling prodigy, it's unlikely he will exhaust his instructor's knowledge for several years, if ever.

That is no where near the point I was making.

Most old school TMA's work like this

white belt- you can learn two kick three punches and one throw

yellow belt- Yo can now learn three throws two variations of the kick and 1 defensive combo.

They have it set to what you can learn based on rank.

That is no where near the point I was making.

Most old school TMA's work like this

white belt- you can learn two kick three punches and one throw

yellow belt- Yo can now learn three throws two variations of the kick and 1 defensive combo.

They have it set to what you can learn based on rank.

You're assuming his jiu-jitsu program is run identically to the karate program. That's a bad assumption.

I train at a dojo where the instructor is a 5th degree black belt in Shorin-Ryu karate, and a 3rd degree black belt in jiu-jitsu. He teaches both, and the karate program is very traditional TMA. Our jiu-jitsu program is run very differently, even though both classes are taught by some of the same instructors.

Plus, you can't really teach jiu-jitsu in a "learn these 2 moves until your next belt" format. Everything is connected in BJJ, and you have to learn a bit of everything at all levels to progress. Limiting the instruction for BJJ in the way you suggested is incredibly impractical.

You're assuming his jiu-jitsu program is run identically to the karate program. That's a bad assumption.

I train at a dojo where the instructor is a 5th degree black belt in Shorin-Ryu karate, and a 3rd degree black belt in jiu-jitsu. He teaches both, and the karate program is very traditional TMA. Our jiu-jitsu program is run very differently, even though both classes are taught by some of the same instructors.

UMMM Maybe you should read TS 1st post in its entirety. He goes into great detail on how both classes are ran.

Thats what I based my satatment on. Which by TS description is pretty accurate.

UMMM Maybe you should read TS 1st post in its entirety. He goes into great detail on how both classes are ran.

Thats what I based my satatment on. Which by TS description is pretty accurate.

The description he gave of his classes doesn't suggest anything like what you are describing. That's why literally every respondent in this thread except you has told him that his classes as he described them aren't unusual in any way.

If TS comes back and tells us that he's only allowed to learn 2 sweeps and one submission before tangerine belt, I'll send you an engraved apology. But given that they were already shown more than that in a span of two classes, I think you're the one that's off the mark.

The description he gave of his classes doesn't suggest anything like what you are describing. That's why literally every respondent in this thread except you has told him that his classes as he described them aren't unusual in any way.

If TS comes back and tells us that he's only allowed to learn 2 sweeps and one submission before tangerine belt, I'll send you an engraved apology. But given that they were already shown more than that in a span of two classes, I think you're the one that's off the mark.

Sweet can it be on a faux granite plaque or glass like material?

Well you read onething I read something else.

Either way my dad could totally beat up yours.

Sweet can it be on a faux granite plaque or glass like material?

Well you read onething I read something else.

Either way my dad could totally beat up yours.

Please quote whatever passage from the OP makes you think that his instructor is limiting his instruction in jiu-jitsu to a handful of techniques until his next belt promotion. Seems to me you latched onto the fact that his school also teaches traditional karate, and started making assumptions based on that.

Back