What do you think as you step on the mat to train and how hardcore is your training

thinkin right now is 'be cool/calm . set him up'. usually jits is pretty light workout without too much strength but lots of movement and im practically throwin up by the end of every session. love trainin tho.

I use to come just to grapple and go hard every night. Now after a seminar with Pedro Sauer he has changed my outlook.

Now I come to hang out with friends and practice technique instead of just coming to "Teh hardcore grapple" every night.

Needless to say my game has skyrocketed.

i usually do 1thing for some time, like a few weeks or a month. and when i fell ive started to learn it i move on,
not that i stop training the move but i change focus to something new

Bama Zulu said:
I use to come just to grapple and go hard every night. Now after a seminar with Pedro Sauer he has changed my outlook.

Now I come to hang out with friends and practice technique instead of just coming to "Teh hardcore grapple" every night.

how so?

i try to relax.....and tell myself that it's all about learning and not worrying about getting tapped all the time.

Bama Zulu said:

I agree 100%. When you make it a completely hardcore test every time, you're less likely to continue training. When every training session becomes an intense challenge, it will cease being fun in the long run and you'll quit.

Well we train No-gi in our school and i've been training for a little over a month , and i can tell i've improved alot.

my borther and my friend joined at the same time so we have had all the same training time, the first lesson we went to open matt and needless to say we all sucked. last night just before our training session finished we had 20 mins of free rolling open matt , and my goal was to submit my friend and my brother we 1 of everymove we had learned , agaisnt my friend who hasn't learnt about position very well i got him i submitted him in every submission i have learnt (only about 5) where as my brother was more of a stale mate ( i think it's a twin thing)

But we train very hard in our class although i think the main reason why me my friend and I gass so easy is because we all smoke though our cardio is improving and we all hope to compete in some ametuer competeions in the future.

Sorry to drag on but the answer is yes we train hard and i think you should - you won't get better if you only go half arsed at it. well you will you'll just have a half arsed ground game :p

DonkeyKong said:
any training motto?

Elbows in, you win. Elbows out, watch out. Cracks me up every time. or Don't throw slumber parties in the guard, pass and pound. those are my favorite mottos.(they aren't mine and I think the last is hilarious)

i train simply to better my self...
Every day i train im a little bit better than the day before.. there is no end to this process.. you only get better.

More mat time makes a better player.... i try to make it to the mat minimal 5 times a week.. most ive gone is 10-12.. was going twice a day every day. You dont always have to train hard. Some times its better to just have an hour or two of just clean pure technique...

Add in a day of pure technique and watch your game grow.

It has made it worth it to me.. yesterday i fought a string of 10 guys in a row.. and submitted them all.. No one even passed my guard.
Ive been training since May.

Bubble Boy said:
I think it was some famous football player (maybe T.O.?) who said:

"There's no 'I' in 'Team' but there is an 'M' and a 'E.'"

I have a new motto.

Unless you plan to make a career out of BJJ, lighten up! Enjoy the workout, friendships, self-defense, sport ... of BJJ.

I train 3 days a week and work out in the gym 4. I enjoy it so much that I think about the training and what to improve most of the days when I don

Ive competed in one sport or another since i was 12..just used to it

Ive seen people here mistake intensity for lack of technique. What I mean by a hardcore training session is giving it your best every second, you know when you feel just a little bit like slacking off? Cleaning that out of your mind and working at 110% from the moment you step on the mat until you leave. It doesn

Gsoares2 said:
... yesterday i fought a string of 10 guys in a row.. and submitted them all.. No one even passed my guard.
Ive been training since May.

You sound like a one of a kind, absolute phenom.

I don't know about a certain motto or anything but I always think to myself whenever I'm tired and feel like quitting for the day "Do you think (insert any fighters name here) quits when he gets tired, you've got to keep pushing it" and that always gets me going harder.

Back