1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

What do you think as you step on the mat to train and how hardcore is your training

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by DonkeyKong, Nov 21, 2005.

1. DonkeyKong

DonkeyKong Frazier > Ali

2. SmashiusClay

SmashiusClay Avatar of Cyttorak

I tend to ask myself "what is it I really want to improve today", my training intensity tends to vary with what i'm looking for from the session, somedays i'm just looking to think my way through a few things so I really slow myslef down, sometimes i go full bore for two hours and get to the point where I can barely drag myself home.

3. b0b

b0b Banned Banned

I take it seriously, but I have other priorities in my life. I can tell in each practice that I am getting better, especially when open mat comes around. The way I can tell I am progressing is that I quit taking "bait" for the same move, and get tapped by something else instead. For example, I used to get caught in triangles all the time. Now, I don't as much.

4. Delco Grappler

Delco Grappler Green Belt

I keep a journal everyday I train, I list 1 move from each position that I will work on for that day
    e.g.
    GUARD PASS = escrima pass
    TOP SUBMISSION = kimura
    GUARD = arm drag
    Standing = slip single

I go fairly hard most workouts, not full but about 85% but mainly trying to fix wholes in my game.

5. DonkeyKong

DonkeyKong Frazier > Ali

any training motto?

6. mogway

mogway Blue Belt

In my case : " Be aggressive"

7. triso

triso Green Belt

I just train to learn and get better every time I go to class. I'm in no rush, and I want to become skilled at EVERYTHING they teach, and soak it all up, then try and implement it in my game.

I want a firm grasp of the basics, and the ability to execute the basics in my game, before I move on to anything that advanced.

I'd like to be exceptional one day, but I know I have a very lengthy and difficult road ahead to achieve this goal.

I

8. Coach Couzo

Coach Couzo Orange Belt

No pain, no torn tendon

There

9. TapSD

TapSD Killer Bee....1%

Train Hard..Fight easy
    Ive got great trainers and trining partners that keep me motivated to train HARD and I love training..funnest thing I do so. I just try to have fun and improve every day

10. VTJas81

VTJas81 Blue Belt

Ok I'll be the first of you all to say Im a lazy bum when I train. I do a half ass job on the warm ups and I leave exactly when class is over. I miss a lot of classes and I only train at most twice a week. When class comes around Im usually tired due to work. The only thing I do that I am consistent is keeping a journal and practicing about 15-20 min a day. I also love buying instructionals and practice on my basics 95% of the time. I admit Im lazy anyone else?

11. TapSD

TapSD Killer Bee....1%

Honesty is the best policy..Im tired after work too but my gym is like 1 mile from my job and my training partners will call me and bitch if I dont have a good excuse for not going

12. triso

triso Green Belt

There are plenty of days where I can be lazy during warm-ups.

However once technique and rolling start, I'm 100% serious.

13. stephensharp

stephensharp Brown Belt

I can honestly say I've never given any thought to my belt as I arrive, unless I left it on the counter. By the time I get to class, thinking of anything along the lines of "tonight I'm gonna work on this", or "I am a this..." are kind of overdo. I'll read some stuff while at work, or run over some things in my head, but once I show up, I usually just think: "Thank god, it's time for class..."

14. apapen

apapen Yellow Belt

My focus has changed several times. There was a period when I would train twice a day, 6 times a day, and there were periods that I would go to practice to try to vent the stress of life. Right now, I am starting to get back on the hardcore wagon.

15. Joey Guidice

Joey Guidice Green Belt Professional Fighter

I am a pretty intense person when i train....i am pretty agressive when rolling.

16. flyingknee16

flyingknee16 Brown Belt

I think to myself, what kind of techniques do I need to improve on, and who can I roll with that will let me try those techniques? And then I also think to myself, who is going to kick my ass and help me improve my game?

17. knoxpk

knoxpk Black Belt

I havent trained in a long while but when I did I paid attention in class but during live I generally had a particular move I learned online or from an instructional I would try.
    Generally there were not typical BJJ moves so I would try it on BJJ to see how it worked.
    But other than that I would just flow with the go.

18. VTJas81

VTJas81 Blue Belt

Yeah after work I just want to go home and relax. I don't know how ppl can train 3-4 times a week after work

19. Spoonman7

Spoonman7 Red Belt

I go until I can't go anymore, I go hard in class until I am dead tired. Regardless if it is Judo, kickboxing, or submissions.

20. sanuces

sanuces Orange Belt

we train hard. never thrown up but ive come close. i do find myself more drained than when i finish regular weight training/cardio workouts