What do you think about weed and bjj?

my instructor who trained in brazil for 5 years with a who's who of bjj and mma said that almost every single top competitor he met/knows either smokes a ton of weed, is a psychopath, or both...

my instructor who trained in brazil for 5 years with a who's who of bjj and mma said that almost every single top competitor he met/knows either smokes a ton of weed, is a psychopath, or both...

Unless you've got some evidence as to why pot is making them better, coincidence is not correlation.

I'm a teenager and I don't even smoke it. I think it's pathetic how reliant some people become on it during their daily lives, then when the "Drug addict" card is flown up then they pull the "i can quit any time" card.

I think this explains every word of every post of you've made in this thread.

I think about weed and bjj the same I think about alcohol, cigarettes, etc:

Might be fun, might get you a buzz, but isn't conducive to being in the best shape possible. You're looking at either dead calories, carcinogens, or other adverse health effects. I'd think if you're serious about competition, you wouldn't do it.

Huge misconceptions about addiction ITT

Cigarettes are physically addictive. Actually higher on some clinical addiction measures than heroin. Marijuana is not.

Physical dependence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note cannabis is missing, but nicotine is not.

Please everyone stop talking out of your ass about things you don't understand.

In reference to the smoking issue, THC can be eaten and also vaporized. When using a vaporizer, users report no symptoms related to smoking burned material, as the plant isn't burning and creating smoke. Only the psychoactive compounds are vaporized because their vaporization temperature is below the temperature required for combustion of the plant material.

Any psychedelic drug can expand your consciousness, and as such improve your BJJ game. We build up mental walls constantly, and sometimes mild hallucinogenic experiences can break down those walls. Alternatively they could make you paranoid and scared and hungry. Some people may be inspired to try a new open guard, may look at a submission in a new way, may see a transition that they never saw before. Your mileage may vary.

To lump all users in as weak-willed just belies the small-mindedness of some forum users. There is a difference between a user of cannabis and an abuser, just like there's a difference between a social drinker and an alcoholic.

Marijuana is part of some BJJ cultures because of the lifestyle and other hobbies that tend to be connected to the sport. Surfing and other BJJ related subcultures all create some of the connection. Does smoking marijuana improve surfing ability? I have no idea, but I know beach-bum surfers love to get stoned.

Another reason Cannabis and BJJ are related is because of the predominantly young practitioner age. Young people use cannabis more often than older people, and thus with a youth-heavy practicing base in BJJ, you see a higher proportion of smokers than in the population at large.

Unless you've got some evidence as to why pot is making them better, coincidence is not correlation.

I think people are thinking from two perspectives, I dont believe weed makes my performance any better but I also dont think it makes things worse. I love weed just as much as jiu jitsu but I still choose to keep them apart.

I been smokin weed for 7 years. I'm not physically dependent on it but to say that there is no such thing is bull shit. First, its a known fact that it can make someone psychologically dependent and just because its a psychological dependence it does not make it much less difficult to quit then physical dependence(think of how strong our mind is). I have a friend who has to smoke weed in the morning or else he will keep dry heaving/throwing up till he has to go to the hospital. He also can't eat a thing unless he smokes. I thank god this is not the case for me but I know there are other people like him out there.

Well he is at that age... they think they know everything :icon_chee

Its true but not an excuse, im only 19. He's just not well educated on the subjec,t hes just saying what his parents tell him and what sees on tv.

I don't mind smoking after I train. But I never blaze up right before I go in. I find its good to relax the muscles and get your recovery started when done for the day.

Being ripped in class just seems both disrespectful and a detriment to your learning. I would definitely have a hard time picking up and working new techniques while stoned.

To me weed and BJJ are like tequila and root beer*. I enjoy them both but feel no need to mix them - even if somebody else swears by it.

* I have tried mixing tequila and root beer and it is fucking gross.

Being ripped in class just seems both disrespectful and a detriment to your learning.

Nobody's really commented on respect for your training partners. Their safety is in your hands and they deserve your best level of focus. Everybody reacts to pot differently, but I know could not give the appropriate level of focus.

With that sad, following a tough training session I do enjoy a nice nightcap for the relaxing and appetite-inducing qualities it brings.

A small amount may keep you calm and let you think and be more methodical but obviously you may become paranoid that the guy you're rolling with is trying to kill you. On a more serious note (I don't know why) it will slow down your explosiveness which is what you need sometimes to escape from certain positions.

I treat myself after a competition, so not that often

Shit when I smoke and go to class I concentrate on what my coach is saying so hard it's like he and I are the only ones in the room... I have been smoking for a long, long time and I have never been so high in class that I would hurt someone. Its not like your drunk in there rolling, your high. People that smoke every day like I do know what I am talking about. Just as "Bruce Calavera" said its a state of mind that's comfortable and how your used to feeling. Now I have been to class many times sober and there wasn't a difference for me besides the fact that I'm smiling a little more.

Back