What do you think about weed and bjj?

I think it's a great idea.

Also try horse tranquilizers and BJJ. Licking frogs and BJJ. Genital mutilation and BJJ.

Ummm..

You can put an infinite number of things that shouldn't be related to one another together, see!

If you're a fat guy then no- weed and BJJ could lead to you becomming more of a fat guy.

I like to smoke after I get home from a hard night of rolling. It helps me get to sleep when otherwise my adrenaline still seems to be amped and I can't fall asleep easily.

I think it's unrelated completely.

Although if you're a hibitual pot smoker it probably puts you in the same state of mind that you're most comfortable in which in turn helps you relate and roll properly.

In the same light if I habitually consume high amounts of caffeine that becomes my natural state. Take that stimulus away and I'll probably start getting withdrawal symptoms. I don't think I'd be as good of a grappler while going through withdrawal.

It's not about having your mind expanded or something stupid from smoking pot, it's about being in a comfortable natural relaxed state. Eddie is good at BJJ when high not because pot makes him better, but because he's so conditioned to being relaxed while high that any other state is unnatural for him.

Bingo. I dont think anyone is blazing before class because they claim it gives them rolling superpowers.

I think it's unrelated completely.

Although if you're a hibitual pot smoker it probably puts you in the same state of mind that you're most comfortable which in turn helps you relax and roll properly.

In the same light if I habitually consume high amounts of caffeine that becomes my natural state. Take that stimulus away and I'll probably start getting withdrawal symptoms. I don't think I'd be as good of a grappler while going through withdrawal.

It's not about having your mind expanded or something stupid from smoking pot, it's about being in a comfortable natural relaxed state. Eddie is good at BJJ when high not because pot makes him better, but because he's so conditioned to being relaxed while high that any other state is unnatural for him.

this is correct

No. It just makes you think you did better. Kind of like when you say a bunch of stupid shit and think it is profound. Same thing in bjj.

Warped perception ftl.

Personally I believe all this "getting stoned makes me better" is just bullshit for drug addicts to justify their addictions.

I read the thread title too quickly and thought it said "weed and bjs. I'm out.

That's what Scott Ross who interviewed him says. The exact quote is "Bravo unabashedly recommends marijuana, saying that it will not only improve your jujitsu game." I'd say that "improve" and "better" go hand-in-hand. That's according to Eddie Bravo, Brosef Stalin, not me. I just know that grappling and weed are both relaxing to me so I like to think about grappling when I smoke. Idk if my ideas are better or not. It would make sense if they were, though, since marijuana enhances creativity.

10th Planet Watch Blog Archive EDDIE BRAVO: MARIJUANA MARTIAL-ARTS MASTER

In Mastering the Rubber Guard, you thank marijuana for helping you develop your own style of jiu-jitsu. How did marijuana help you develop your game?

"My first four years of jiu-jitsu were weed free. As soon as I started smoking weed I saw a difference. The way I look at it is that when you smoke pot your brain is supercharged. All of your emotions are supercharged. Food tastes better, music sounds way better, and jokes are funnier. Your touch is more sensitive and sex is better. Everything is heightened. So your brain is alive. That’s a lot of power. Now you are dealing with a supercharged brain.

"Once I started smoking weed, I began breaking down why jiu-jitsu wasn’t working as effectively as it was in the beginning of MMA. Back then, if you knew any kind of jiu-jitsu or were any kind of black belt, you were probably going to win. But then it started to become harder and harder for jiu-jitsu guys to win with submissions in MMA, and I decided to figure out why."
-Eddie Bravo

Apparently Eddie thinks better while he's high.

Personally I believe all this "getting stoned makes me better" is just bullshit for drug addicts to justify their addictions.

marijuana doesn't have any physically addictive properties. you won't go through marijuana withdrawals if you stop cold turkey. people who are "addicted" to weed are just mentally weak. it's not that they can't quit; it's that they won't quit. I go from smoking every day for a month or two to not smoking at all for a month or two depending on what I have going on and if it's responsible for me to smoke at that time. obviously you're probably going to say it's never responsible to smoke because it's illegal but whatever, that doesn't matter that much to me. if smoking won't interfere with what I have going on then I smoke. if it will interfere then I don't smoke. people who can't balance that out would be fuck-ups with or without weed.

This.

And "my best friend ;)" chiefs everyday. I don't think it's a bad in recreational usage, but
many people feel "weak bodied" and tend to be far less aggressive in their bjj game. Plus what kinda asshole would go to class with out knowing their instructor is okay with it?

People are constantly justifying their reasons for smoking, when the truth is it really doesn't help your game, though smoking after can have positive benefits.

Educate yourself

In his book Fighters Heart author Sam Sheridan goes to Brazil and trains at a top school and notes the prevelence of BJJ practitioners using MJ. I can't remember what team he was with, but I do remember him saying he was with a group including Murillo Bustamante. Anyway, he said that they BJJ culture and surf culture are very much entwined down there. Said alot of guys regularly smoke out.
Personally when I used to smoke it just made me think differently. It certainly helped with creativity. And I'd imagine that it could only give you another angle at which to think about your BJJ game, so I think it probably does help some develop.

If it does make you better, I am going out and trying to buy a pound of this miracle drug!

In his book Fighters Heart author Sam Sheridan goes to Brazil and trains at a top school and notes the prevelence of BJJ practitioners using MJ. I can't remember what team he was with, but I do remember him saying he was with a group including Murillo Bustamante. Anyway, he said that they BJJ culture and surf culture are very much entwined down there. Said alot of guys regularly smoke out.
Personally when I used to smoke it just made me think differently. It certainly helped with creativity. And I'd imagine that it could only give you another angle at which to think about your BJJ game, so I think it probably does help some develop.

It didn't say they were high while they rolled though did it? Because I think that is a misconception people are having here. These guys, like Eddie Bravo, smoke weed and think about BJJ or work on technique. You definitely aren't better at competing in BJJ while you're high.

If it does make you better, I am going out and trying to buy a pound of this miracle drug!

Heroin injected behind the eyes gives you the skill of Roger Gracie and the strength of brock lesnar

marijuana doesn't have any physically addictive properties. you won't go through marijuana withdrawals if you stop cold turkey. people who are "addicted" to weed are just mentally weak. it's not that they can't quit; it's that they won't quit. I go from smoking every day for a month or two to not smoking at all for a month or two depending on what I have going on and if it's responsible for me to smoke at that time. obviously you're probably going to say it's never responsible to smoke because it's illegal but whatever, that doesn't matter that much to me. if smoking won't interfere with what I have going on then I smoke. if it will interfere then I don't smoke. people who can't balance that out would be fuck-ups with or without weed.

The illegality is irrelavant and so is the "addictive properties" bullshit. The only ways something becomes addictive is when you're body is conditioned to function with it. My body is conditioned to use my heart to pump blood through my body. Take that away and I'll have some pretty serious withdrawal symptoms.

If you are a habitual user (which is subjective) you will recieve withdrawal symptoms from quitting cold turkey. Your body becomes use to a stimlus and ten you take it away. Now in your case where you say you smoke everyday one month and none the next with no withdrawal symptoms. . . well, I'm not calling you a liar but I find that extremely hard to believe. I either think you smoke low grade marijuana or you're exaggerating your usage. Maybe there's some other logical explaination.

It didn't say they were high while they rolled though did it? Because I think that is a misconception people are having here. These guys, like Eddie Bravo, smoke weed and think about BJJ or work on technique. You definitely aren't better at competing in BJJ while you're high.

Maybe you aren't specifically arguing that marijuana helps you compete better but there are a lot of people who do.

Every thread about weed ends the same way. People who smoke saying weed is great, and makes them better, and people who don't smoke saying "you just think you're better because you're high" or "you just say that as en excuse cause you're a drug addict".

I haven't ever rolled while high. And doubt I will.

Back