What do you think about weed and bjj?

sfgrappler

White Belt
Reaction score
Do you think weed helps out your grappling game?

It seems that a lot of bjj guys smoke (I don't) and swear it helps them.

What do you think?

What do you think?

Outside of Eddie bravo and his goons who says that?

What do you think?

I would say no... although I know drinking alcohol doesnt help my BJJ but I keep drinking anyway...

I think it's a great idea.

Also try horse tranquilizers and BJJ. Licking frogs and BJJ. Genital mutilation and BJJ.

Ummm..

You can put an infinite number of things that shouldn't be related to one another together, see!

Yh I Smoke And It May Help Your Rolling But Def Not Concentration Wise I Jus Stare Blindy At What The Instructors Doin Half The Time, But It Also Depends On How You React To Weed And How Much And How Often You Blaze.
Smokin Weed Helps With My Music But Not In Other Stuff, Just The Way The Brownie Crumbles

Also try horse tranquilizers and BJJ. Licking frogs and BJJ. Genital mutilation and BJJ.

Ummm..

You can put an infinite number of things that shouldn't be related to one another together, see!

I have come to the conclusion that you are not a big fan of Marijuana.... To each his own...

Ummm..

I personally like horse tranquilizers and BJJ, they make it easier to avoid tapping. Increases my concentration 30x more too.

Yh I Smoke And It May Help Your Rolling But Def Not Concentration Wise I Jus Stare Blindy At What The Instructors Doin Half The Time, But It Also Depends On How You React To Weed And How Much And How Often You Blaze.
Smokin Weed Helps With My Music But Not In Other Stuff, Just The Way The Brownie Crumbles

Does smoking weed help you capitalize every single word?

Marijuana is fine. I don't think it helps or hurts my training in anyway. I don't train stoned, of course. Helps with sore muscles and injuries, that's about it.

Ok I dont think that weed necisarrily helps bjj cuz it hurts your lungs...and for the record alcohol makes my bjj terrible lol. But i have....on a couple occasions, smoked a couple hours before training and Im not a regular weed smoker, I hardly ever smoke and I already have good cardio and work out. But the couple times that I smoked a few hours before training, I had great training nights them times, my game seemed to be really good, controlled, and relaxed. Of course it could have just been some of my better nights and had nothing to do with the weed. But I kind of thought it may have helped.

For me, personally, it depends on how physically demanding the practice is going to be. If it's just going to be light rolling and working on technique I love smoking first. I really like doing judo after smoking a little bit. If I'm going to be going as hard as I can and really competing with someone I don't like to smoke because it slows me down. I don't think most of the 10th Planet guys say weed helps them with BJJ as in they are better competitors when they are high. As I understood it, I thought Eddie Bravo said that he came up with his cool ideas from thinking about BJJ and working on technique while he was high. I don't think any sane person would try to convince you that you would do better competitively while high.

I'm not entirely certain if ti helps or not. That's definitely judged more on an individual basis. I would venture to say that it doesn't though.

On a side note, I find it incredibly disrespectful to show up for class while you're high. Not only are you not giving your instructor your full, undivided attention, you're also cheapening the experience and the learning process for those that end up having to roll with you. Not to mention you probably smell like bong resin. Outside of class, I don't care what you do. Shoot heroin behind your eyeballs for all I care.

I'm not entirely certain if ti helps or not. That's definitely judged more on an individual basis. I would venture to say that it doesn't though.

On a side note, I find it incredibly disrespectful to show up for class while you're high. Not only are you not giving your instructor your full, undivided attention, you're also cheapening the experience and the learning process for those that end up having to roll with you. Not to mention you probably smell like bong resin. Outside of class, I don't care what you do. Shoot heroin behind your eyeballs for all I care.

I never thought about shooting heroin in my eyes and doing BJJ. This could potentially be a huge game improver. I'm stealing your idea :icon_chee

It helps with your music because marijuana stimulates the creative side of your brain. That is the same reason Eddie Bravo says he comes up with better ideas for BJJ while he is high.

I laughed at "the way the brownie crumbles."

A brown belt asking this question? Really?!

I think it's unrelated completely.

Although if you're a hibitual pot smoker it probably puts you in the same state of mind that you're most comfortable which in turn helps you relax and roll properly.

In the same light if I habitually consume high amounts of caffeine that becomes my natural state. Take that stimulus away and I'll probably start getting withdrawal symptoms. I don't think I'd be as good of a grappler while going through withdrawal.

It's not about having your mind expanded or something stupid from smoking pot, it's about being in a comfortable natural relaxed state. Eddie is good at BJJ when high not because pot makes him better, but because he's so conditioned to being relaxed while high that any other state is unnatural for him.

Last edited:
I think it's unrelated completely.

Although if you're a hibitual pot smoker it probably puts you in the same state of mind that you're most comfortable in which in turn helps you relate and roll properly.

In the same light if I habitually consume high amounts of caffeine that becomes my natural state. Take that stimulus away and I'll probably start getting withdrawal symptoms. I don't think I'd be as good of a grappler while going through withdrawal.

It's not about having your mind expanded or something stupid from smoking pot, it's about being in a comfortable natural relaxed state. Eddie is good at BJJ when high not because pot makes him better, but because he's so conditioned to being relaxed while high that any other state is unnatural for him.

Hmmm, very interesting. If I were high right now I would be like, wooooooooooow.

I totally agree though and I'm a pot head.

It helps with your music because marijuana stimulates the creative side of your brain. That is the same reason Eddie Bravo says he comes up with better ideas for BJJ while he is high.

Better?

Back