What do you thing of ZMA (people who've tried it)?

tdluxon

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I would like to hear the opinions and experiences of people on hear who have tried taking ZMA. Good/Bad/Other? Did it work well or no noticeable effects? Any side effects?

My buddy heard about it on Rogan's podcast and he is all about it now, but he tends to jump on a lot of fads with diets and supplements so I don't necessarily trust his opinion.

If you haven't actually tried it, I don't really care about your opinion so save it.

**** That should be "think" not "thing" in the title...****

Last edited:
I'm a terrible sleeper and I feel exhausted a lot of the time, so I started taking it because a lot of people were recommending it. It didn't put me to sleep and I was still waking up during the night, but it seemed to make the sleep I did get matter more. Like I was sleeping deeper or something, so I'd wake up more refreshed and just get out of bed instead of hitting snooze.

I mentioned it to a few guys so they started taking it and reported similar things. Maybe it stops working after a while, though, because it didn't seem so effective towards the end of the lot I bought. I keep meaning to buy some more.

I feel way better when I take it....big noticeable difference in energy and mood throughout the day...I switch between zma and optizinc...both have similar effects.

I have had deeper sleep using zma and felt more restored gaba was nice too but somehow it turn me hungry/make me want to eat something when i take gaba.

It doesn't really make me sleep better afaik.

It most certainly does give me dreams that feel much more real and are generally wackier. I enjoy it for that.

And, technically speaking, the presence of those dreams should mean that, while I'm sleeping, I am sleeping deeper.

Gosh... I make ZMA sound like it's a drug or something.

ZMA helps me sleep better. I feel much more rested when I took zma. I haven't taken any supplements, except vitamin d, I am deficient, and synthroid, My body doesn't produce thyroid, for about 2 years.

As others have said, it doesn't help you go to sleep, but the sleep you get is better and more rejuvenating.

A little deeper sleep. but still not enough effect to be worth it.

I take it 4-5 nights a week. I find it definitely affects the deepness of my sleep and dreams/etc, but if I take it every day it sort of dilutes the effect and I dont notice it as much, so I take a day or two off it each week.

On this subject, I noticed a huge variance in the amount of zinc, mag, and b6 in the various supplement brands of ZMA on the market, I had to bounce around to find one that had the most bang for the buck for me.

^The latter part are the best reasons to take it.

I take some cheap zinc and mag separately to avoid deficiency (i.e not a dedicated zma pill). The zinc seems to raise my libido somewhat and the combo consistently results in deep sleep and trippy dreams for me.

Ironically golv, those were the happy effects of proper zinc supplementation in athletes that had people buying $60 bottles of ZMA from BALCO. Preservation of testosterone levels is a wonderful thing.

Why pay top dolla for a "proprietary blend" when you can frankenstein your own shit with some research? People, man...

Back