What do you rely on for home and self-defense?

Wuli said:
I really doubt I'd have guts to shoot another human being. Atleast if he wasn't holding a knife and running towards me or aiming me with a gun.
It just sounds a bit bizarre to me that almost everyone here is like "Yea if someone would broke into my house I'd just shoot his head off" or something.
Maybe it's just me...

You are right about that.

I remember reading a book by a Mafia hitman, where he said even within the Mob most people don't have the guts to shoot someone. Few very people do.

(There was some study done that during WWII most guys wouldn't shoot their weapons, so the military had to change the way they taught target practice)

Wuli said:
I really doubt I'd have guts to shoot another human being. Atleast if he wasn't holding a knife and running towards me or aiming me with a gun.
It just sounds a bit bizarre to me that almost everyone here is like "Yea if someone would broke into my house I'd just shoot his head off" or something.
Maybe it's just me...

It's part of mental conditioning, which is part of any decent self-defense program.

Prayer. I beg the man in the sky (who told us not to kill in his top ten rulebook) to keep my family safe, lest they will die and go to heaven early.

XTrainer said:
It's part of mental conditioning, which is part of any decent self-defense program.

Sure I have done my part of stabbing, slicing, aiming a gun and hitting my training partners with stick, but it's a totally different thing when you have a real gun in your hand.

i really want to get an authentic samurai sword and learn how to use it.

EDBM said:
Prayer. I beg the man in the sky (who told us not to kill in his top ten rulebook) to keep my family safe, lest they will die and go to heaven early.

prayer works. the Lord help those who help themselves, though. if someone's in my house threatening our safety, i'm not going to get on my knees and pray at that point. the prayer came way before he got there.

i still want my samurai sword... and when i get it, i just might dip it in holy water! :icon_chee

Sawed-off shotgun is the best for home defense. Full sized shot gun is too long for indoor use.

foobar said:
Sawed-off shotgun is the best for home defense. Full sized shot gun is too long for indoor use.

Sawed off is illegal in the U.S. without a tax stamp. And even then it still has a minimum length.

Shortest barrel "regular" shotgun can be 18", which is plenty short enough provided that your LOP isn't larger than normal. Most people haven't handled an 18" barrel shotgun, and I assume you are basing your conclusions off 24" models or larger. (I apologize ahead of time if this is an incorrect assertion.)

EDBM said:

yes but i made my peace with God before i went to Iraq when i was in confession and the priest told me that "it is still wrong to kill but you will be forgiven because you are not killing for no reason or murdering people. You are killing because you are defending yourself and your brothers-in-arms next to you." i still remember what he said to me.. im pretty sure everyone prays that thier family is safe. and im pretty sure the families of those soldiers in iraq who were killed, prayed for thier sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, fathers, mothers, were kept safe.. but that didnt happen so you just keep praying while i have my weapon in my hand because the dumbass who breaks into my house is getting two to the chest and one in the head.. i made my peace and i will go to heaven, youre no better than anyone else who wants to keep thier family safe..

S. Carter said:
i really want to get an authentic samurai sword and learn how to use it.

that sounds cool, but its pretty hard to get an "authentic" katana... since the practice of making a katana the "authentic" way is very scarce.. there are a few places you can still get one.. but you have to pay upwards to about 15,000 dollars or more to get and "authentic samurai sword"

yes but i made my peace with God before i went to Iraq when i was in confession and the priest told me that "it is still wrong to kill but you will be forgiven because you are not killing for no reason or murdering people. You are killing because you are defending yourself and your brothers-in-arms next to you." i still remember what he said to me.. im pretty sure everyone prays that thier family is safe. and im pretty sure the families of those soldiers in iraq who were killed, prayed for thier sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, fathers, mothers, were kept safe.. but that didnt happen so you just keep praying while i have my weapon in my hand because the dumbass who breaks into my house is getting two to the chest and one in the head.. i made my peace and i will go to heaven, youre no better than anyone else who wants to keep thier family safe..

I justified this with a simple " these people want me dead, and they are shooting at me an mine". I guess anything to get the job done.

Frankly...this is wrong, in my opinion. First off, the accurate translation of the "killing commandment" in the Bible is "You shall not commit murder" (as opposed to kill), and there are NUMEROUS passages in the Bible describing violence for a righteous cause or in self defense. Heck, Jesus even told his own disciples to carry swords!

Second, since you're in confession, I'm assuming you're either Catholic or Orthodox. I know in the Orthodox church we believe ALL sins can be forgiven. I'm assuming Catholics are the same way.

Read:
http://www.christianity.com/faith/1348211.aspx

You don't need to feel bad about anything you've done or may have to do.

no I understood you correctly the first time, still you would like to kill someone in self defense? You value your property more then his/her life? You are not content with a warning shot or aiming towards the burglar and waiting for the cops to show up?

You acctually want to get into a situation where you have to kill someone?

Warning shot? that bullet has to end up somewhere I rather it be in a burgler or murderer than in some innocent kid a mile away where my warning shot just happen to land

Warning shot? that bullet has to end up somewhere I rather it be in a burgler or murderer than in some innocent kid a mile away where my warning shot just happen to land

don't you watch mythbusters

Bullets fired in the air (ie: high enough to avoid people/buildings) does not have enough velocity to kill someone. Watch Mythbusters.

Bullet drop>penny drop

They tested the bullet in the air theory and discovered that only a bullet fired at an angle ( a long angle such as 30% ) would come down with deadly force..otherwise it seems that a good knock on the head would be just about all one should expect.

Back