What do you pay for MMA training and how much instructing do you get?

NerfKnees

Back To Lurking
Reaction score
The local gym has an "unlimited" training program which allows 6 hours per week of instructed muay thai and combat submission wrestling. The cost is $89 per month. The instructors seem to have legitimate backgrounds, but that's still not very much training time for the price.

Do these numbers look good to you? What kind of prices do you guys pay for gyms and how many hours of instructed training do you get?

The local gym has an "unlimited" training program which allows 6 hours per week of instructed muay thai and combat submission wrestling. The cost is $89 per month. The instructors seem to have legitimate backgrounds, but that's still not very much training time for the price.

Do these numbers look good to you? What kind of prices do you guys pay for gyms and how many hours of instructed training do you get?

The hours look slim for the price but much more would depend on many other things to determine the value. When there do you get plenty attention from the coaches?

I used to go to a club with similar hours but once you 'fit in' and are serious, they meet with you there quite often during off-hours. Many mma clubs run the mma class like an aerobics class till the few that stand out in determination can go to the more adavnced 'private' seesions. It might be like that...you should just ask ythe coach as a consumer.

The unlimited program also includes options for other training programs such as Tae Kwon Do and Filipino Martial Arts, but I have little interest in studying either of those. I haven't actually trained with them yet, because I don't necessarily want to fork over 90 bucks to see if I'll get extra hours of training. I was just looking at their online descriptions and wasn't terribly impressed with the pricing.

But yeah, thanks for the response I'll try to see if the MMA and kickboxing trainers ever show up and do overtime, but I'm not too optimistic because the schedule seems set in stone.

I pay nothing, and we charge jack-shit to train at our place. $20 a month here will get you 5 classes a week, split between Judo, Boxing, MMA and grappling.

dojo3.jpg

That's my dojo (Albeit an older, unfinished version)

I'll never understand charging people an arm and a leg to train.

150 a month for unlimited bjj, which for me translates to 6 days a week working with black belts, sometimes in what turns out to be private lessons. If I wanted the full MMA package it would be more. Of course, I live in the New York area, so consider that in the cost.

$150.00 a month, 9 hours of instruction a week when you start out. After you prove to the instructors that your skill is high enough, they allow you to attend more advanced classes. When you're good enough, and if you have the conditioning, you can get over 14 hours of instructional training a week for the same price.

I pay nothing, and we charge jack-shit to train at our place. $20 a month here will get you 5 classes a week, split between Judo, Boxing, MMA and grappling.

That's my dojo (Albeit an older, unfinished version)

I'll never understand charging people an arm and a leg to train.

Sounds nice. What's your location? The place I'm considering is in Indiana, so I'd figure our strict republican environment would result in low, low prices, but sadly in my searching this 89 bucks a month is the best deal I can find, and the only place within 100 miles that has more than just traditional martial arts.

I train at a place in Oakland (Pacific Ring) and they charge $120 a month, or $100 for a 12 month contract, and it's unlimited training. In addition to six different classes each day M-F (divided between MT, BJJ, and boxing) and 2 on Saturday, the gym itself is open from 7 am to 9 pm and you can come in any time to work out (full weight room) or just get some guys together to roll around.

We're moving in a month, though, and there's supposed to be an even bigger schedule. personally, I went to a couple different gyms in the area, and for the price, they were the best deal. Most other places were around $70 for just BJJ 2x a week, with other training costing extra. My other buddy trains in Daily City were unlimited BJJ is $150, but no MT or boxing.

I do judo have prolly around 10 clasess I can goto (some at my on club nad some at our head school)

I hvae acces to the dojo at any time thu, so I do nogi and hit mits/bag whenever, on of the judo dudes nearly got to the suel olympiucs so he coaches me sometiems

I pay 50bucks for a yer, it is all non-profit

tis was the dsojo jsut a yer ago
175_7570.JPG

now is it

DSC02818.JPG

hva a gym in the basment to

I do judo have prolly around 10 clasess I can goto (some at my on club nad some at our head school)

I hvae acces to the dojo at any time thu, so I do nogi and hit mits/bag whenever, on of the judo dudes nearly got to the suel olympiucs so he coaches me sometiems

175_7570.JPG

now is it

DSC02818.JPG

175_7570.JPG

now is it

DSC02818.JPG

175_7570.JPG

now is it

DSC02818.JPG

it really all depends on the quality of the people that go to your school. if you get to spar and train with really good guys then it would be a reasonable deal.

thats four times of training per week if you go train in 1.5 hours squirts.

i pay 60 a month and train 3 times a week, its in a small town so thats the only option other wise id train more but i like it cuz i basically get all one on one time with the instructor

$20 a month. As much training as I want to participate in - JJ, grappling etc. and I have a key to the dojo. My instructors are experienced BB competitors in JJ who like exploring nogi grappling (which is my interest) and/or members of the national team. As far as I know it's all non-profit and we are rather few student. This Tuesday for example, I was alone with two instructors...

Sounds nice. What's your location? The place I'm considering is in Indiana, so I'd figure our strict republican environment would result in low, low prices, but sadly in my searching this 89 bucks a month is the best deal I can find, and the only place within 100 miles that has more than just traditional martial arts.

I'm in rural Maine.

We keep trying to expand and bring more people in to teach, but we try to keep prices down.

We're in the process of trying to take over the gym in the same building also, in which case the $20 a month would include gym access also.

175_7570.JPG

now is it

DSC02818.JPG

LOL The outside of your Judo Club after the fire looks like my current Judo club now.

One of my fellow judoka who's in his 50's said to me the other day, "look at that wall. Doesn't that look like something out of the movie the Saw?" The wall was dirty and the paint was peeling all to hell.

What a shit hole.

But I do like my club.

^^ the fire happend two days before we were going to hold the regional championships, I literary worked 48 hours without sleep to find and move to another location

luckily they had managed to salvage a third of the mats

I know this is an old thread - but I thought it was best to bring it back to life rather than start my own.

I was wondering how much fellow UK'ers pay to train? I'm based in London (South East/Central) and the costs seem a little excessive... if anyone knows of a good, cheap(ish) place to train then please feel free to share.

Back