what do you look for when buying a judo gi?

Kalma

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I've checked out our local store and wasnt really sure what I shoudl be going for.

The choices range from a basic 'Kiai' single weave gi through to an Adidas Champion gi (3 x the price)

Here is some of the info about the one I was checking out:

650gm 100%Brushed Cotton Gi Heavy Collar. Reinforced and covered seams on jacket and pants. Full length padding on knee.

The Adidas gi is a bit over 900grams and double weave. Though it seems insane to pay 3 x as much (possibly just paying for the brand ??)

Anyhow, any one have any recomendations on things to be aware of, ??

what about sizing? is it all based off height ?

Delve into the threads here:
JudoForum.com -> Gear

Lots of advice there.

Some major things to tell us (or ask yourself):

Do you plan on competing?
Does your school offer 2 classes/week (ie- what level of abuse will this gi be receiving?)
Do you know already that this will be a temporary hobby (ie a class while at University?)
Have a budget/max available to spend?

I'd always recommend that you look for a good double weave used at your school (ask sensei)
After 5-6 months if you're going to stick with it look for a new gi. By that time you'll have seen a bunch of gi that dojo-mates & competitors are using and will know what to get yourself.

shorter answer:
Fuji seems like a good all purpose choice
Mizuno can be top-of-the-line & geared toward competition
I've heard GREAT things about Fushida
Addidas- see Mizuno

For a beginner- no need for a stiff collared IJF-approved $300 kit.
Save your money. Train judo.

what about sizing? is it all based off height ?

Google judo size chart
you'll see it varies but you'll get a general idea where you should fall...

Best thing is to have sensei give you a couple jackets to try on.
He/she'll explain about washing and water temp & shrinkage etc.

Start with a single weave. Double weave is for competitors who want to make it harder for their opponents to grip their gi. But it's much heavier and hotter to wear.

Firstly - choose a white gi for your first gi and a blue gi for your second if you plan to compete.

If you have a lot of money, buy good quality brand names like Mizuno or Adidas or even Fushida (or Danrho, Kusukura, Moskito etc).

Otherwise, and for most of us - a "no-name" brand. You are better off buying 2x no-name brands than one name brand so you have spares and don't have to frantically wash your gi (and dry it) before the next session.

Gi sizes vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. You have to try them on wherever possible because sizing charts dont always account for your build. If you are lucky you can mix & match bottoms and tops but mostly this won't happen (I have Fushida gis, size 3.5 jackets and size 4 pants, which I think equates to 170 top and 180 pants?)

What to look for? Good quality stitching and material. Firm collars and decent thickness on the pants material.

Oh - and buy double-weaves not singles as they are more durable. The weight you'll barely notice after a while (I feel naked in a single weave) and the "heat" is no big deal (I train in 40decC days, in a tin shed with a THICK DW brushed inside gi.

Oh - and buy double-weaves not singles as they are more durable. The weight you'll barely notice after a while (I feel naked in a single weave) and the "heat" is no big deal (I train in 40decC days, in a tin shed with a THICK DW brushed inside gi.

Largely a personal choice here... judogido might be fine in a double weave in hot weather. Personally when I grapple I get really hot, I would probably die of heat stroke if I wore a double weave in the summer. Single is the safer choice for a beginner, also much cheaper. But yes, doubles are more durable and less likely to tear.

Also, re: the original question about sizing. The sizes are based on height, and if you get too small of a size the sleeves and pant legs will be too short, and your gi will be illegal for competitions. The thing is that as the gis get longer in length they also get bigger in the chest/waist and pant leg. So if you are tall and skinny your gi will be baggy on you, and if you are short and fat your gi will be tight on you. You might have to get it tailored if you have an "abnormal" height to girth ratio.

go with fushida. it's as close to a custom fit gi as you'll get for that price. you'll provide them with your measurements and they'll get you a gi that fits. and they mix and match pant/jacket sizes. the customer service rocks. for their top end gis they have tall size and stocky size variations, which is nice.

i also lean more towards single weaves these days, or a really really soft double (like a mizuno kano). i train in bjj gis that are MUCH lighter than my judo gis -- and get more use -- and have had no issues with tearing. now, if you're gonna compete and want the edge a stiff, hard-to-grip gi offers, then go for double. but other than that i don't see much need for it.

Largely a personal choice here... judogido might be fine in a double weave in hot weather. Personally when I grapple I get really hot, I would probably die of heat stroke if I wore a double weave in the summer. Single is the safer choice for a beginner, also much cheaper. But yes, doubles are more durable and less likely to tear.

Also, re: the original question about sizing. The sizes are based on height, and if you get too small of a size the sleeves and pant legs will be too short, and your gi will be illegal for competitions. The thing is that as the gis get longer in length they also get bigger in the chest/waist and pant leg. So if you are tall and skinny your gi will be baggy on you, and if you are short and fat your gi will be tight on you. You might have to get it tailored if you have an "abnormal" height to girth ratio.
Yeah. Try them on and see how they feel.

If you are a big bloke, then a double might be better as the big boys tend to destroy the SW gis fast. They feel a bit stiff at first, but they loosen up - so don't always judge them out of the bag.

As for sizing, I am taller than a friend of mine. I have longer arms and legs, too. However - his measurements for a top were different to mine and he ended up with a size 4 top and I ended up with a 3.5. The main reason was that he is more barrel chested - he's a solid fella while I am leaner in the chest.

+2 for Fushida. Nice gis and good fit plus, IIRC Shane will let you mix/match top bottoms.

Yeah. Try them on and see how they feel.

If you are a big bloke, then a double might be better as the big boys tend to destroy the SW gis fast. They feel a bit stiff at first, but they loosen up - so don't always judge them out of the bag.

As for sizing, I am taller than a friend of mine. I have longer arms and legs, too. However - his measurements for a top were different to mine and he ended up with a size 4 top and I ended up with a 3.5. The main reason was that he is more barrel chested - he's a solid fella while I am leaner in the chest.

+2 for Fushida. Nice gis and good fit plus, IIRC Shane will let you mix/match top bottoms.

Old thread--reborn...

I'm a smaller heavy weight (6'1", 100kgs), I've destroyed many a single weave I've bought doing judo and bjj in under a year; which is not the case with double weaves. None of my double weave jackets have been worn out (many lasting > 10 years), some I've passed on to others who continue to get use out of them. From a Total Cost of Ownership point of view, and you don't care about have the latest fashionable gi, you cannot beat a good double weave gi at least for this heavyweight.

Fit for me, has been an issue because of my longer arms and legs. Pants are impossible to find. That said, I would:

+3 Fushida Icon
+1 Adias Champion
+1 Mizuno Supreme

Old thread--reborn...

I'm a smaller heavy weight (6'1", 100kgs), I've destroyed many a single weave I've bought doing judo and bjj in under a year; which is not the case with double weaves. None of my double weave jackets have been worn out (many lasting > 10 years), some I've passed on to others who continue to get use out of them. From a Total Cost of Ownership point of view, and you don't care about have the latest fashionable gi, you cannot beat a good double weave gi at least for this heavyweight.

Fit for me, has been an issue because of my longer arms and legs. Pants are impossible to find. That said, I would:

+3 Fushida Icon
+1 Adias Champion
+1 Mizuno Supreme

Damn bro, you went full necro on your second post. Good job.

mizuno or toraki make the best/most durable double weave judo gi's that I've worn for training or competition. they last the longest, they aren't super rough on the skin (as far as judo gi's go), and they're simply the best. I have 2 that are going on 5+ years of ownership and the collar is still holding up, no repairs needed yet.

Ill vouch for fuji double weaves, nothing can beat them in value.

They are under $100 but the quality is top notch, they arent too heavy, but neither too light, they have brushed cotton inside and the pants are great.

The only gi i have liked more than a fuji double weave is the mizuno supreme, and i have had adidas champs, mizuno single, keiko, eurocomp and a bunch of no-name brands.

However they dont fit me quite right and tended to shrink just outside my comfort zone, so i stopped using because the mizuno size 5 fits me like tailor made.

Ill vouch for fuji double weaves, nothing can beat them in value.

They are under $100 but the quality is top notch, they arent too heavy, but neither too light, they have brushed cotton inside and the pants are great.

The only gi i have liked more than a fuji double weave is the mizuno supreme, and i have had adidas champs, mizuno single, keiko, eurocomp and a bunch of no-name brands.

However they dont fit me quite right and tended to shrink just outside my comfort zone, so i stopped using because the mizuno size 5 fits me like tailor made.

I third the Fuji since they are the one brand that at there price offer half sizes. I love my kusakura and mitsuboshi but, they are pretty expensive and hard to get(Well that depends on where you live) and they are too small for me to use in comps.

The mizuno shiai model is on my list to try though since it is nice to have a lighter gi.

Back