What do you look for in a gym website?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Hillary, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Hillary

Hillary Brown Belt

Guys, looking for some advice.

My coaches aren't in a financial situation to pay someone for a website and tried to do it themselves. The result was a jumbled Westside MMA - Home

It irritated me because it wasn't too user friendly. I tried to make a simple page to get what was important across. What do you think? (test page) www.kickboxingandbjj.com

My biggest issues with the old one were the instructors, programs, and schedule pages. Too many people put three pages of info of a program, and people really don't want to hear that. So I tried to make it concise and informative.

The news page is giving me issues, but other wise, does it get across what you'd like to see? What's missing/too much info. Trying to think of something good for the front page, ideas?

Thanks! XOXO

2. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

the 2nd one.

easy to read, good use of white space, actually FITS in a browser

3. fiftysvn

fiftysvn Purple Belt

the test website is very good.

personally, all i would like to read on the website is the schedule of classes and the bios of all the instructors. you have all that.

4. davejitsu

davejitsu Purple Belt

Hillary...I used yahoo webhosting and it turned out alright. It was easy to use with templates and it was built by me, a true novice, in a day. It is really cheap also (only like 8 bucks a month). Here it is for your viewing

Ocean City Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

5. Hellboy31

Hellboy31 Brown Belt

Not sure if adding video is an option for you but it might be a good idea. Would be cool to see a promotion ceremony or competition footage from the people that train there and/or instructors.

6. Kainan

Kainan Orange Belt

I liked the second website better. Maybe add a link to the schools facebook, myspace, twitter if you have one. Also I like websites that show the cost of the classes and any other fees but I know most schools do not put these up. Overall good site.

7. Graciebarra 847

Graciebarra 847 Blue Belt

The second website is much better! I like the instructor bio. I don't like the way the schedule template looks! Also the front looks a little plain to me. Use black instead of white!

Add a video showing highlights of the actual class taking place. For bjj you could show the class learning sweeps and for the boxing show a guy teeing off on the heavy bag.

8. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

Second one is better. The schedule was a little confusing to me, otherwise it looks great.

9. MonkeyNuts!

MonkeyNuts! Rear Naked Poker

2nd looks much better.

Who what where when "KISS" is always a good approach.

10. Kainan

Kainan Orange Belt

if you offer free trial classes maybe put that somewhere

11. KaosX

KaosX Banned Banned

Less is more. It took me maybe...3-4 days of maybe 2-4 hours each day to put together and configure my review website - that include working on logos and such. If the data isnt going to change much - static pages are still fine.

I'm hoping to help my gym out when they branch out and want something a little more complex/in depth/scalable.

12. Mat Nemesis**

Mat Nemesis** Green Belt

test is better.

for instructors i like a little bullet list of major tournie wins.

definitely need a pic/video page unless i missed that.

schedule is easy to read and better graphically represented.

and just a note is to make sure you have some news going on at least 1 or 2 times a month. it just seems like nothing is happening if it is september and the last news update was in april.

13. 879lexus

879lexus Blue Belt

Looks good, The things I would look for is:

a) price b) schedule c) photo gallery d) videos d) instructor bios

Anything more I think is clutter...

14. BatBoyJG

BatBoyJG Brown Belt

My gym's website is pretty basic, you really only want them to leave you their information so you can contact them. So by putting the schedule up (Or other unnecessary things), you might put up some road blocks, and have people say "Oh they don't have enough MMA classes here" Or "I can only make it to 2 classes a week". If they are on you're website they are interested in you're school, the website is a tool to get people to come in check the school out, and take a class so you can sell them the value of the gym and jiu jitsu. Just what I was taught, but there are plenty of successful gyms out there that do it the other way to, just something to think about.

15. Linzy

Linzy Orange Belt

Things I want on a school's website -

It should fit on my screen with minimal scrolling (and definitely no scrolling left/right).
    Info about the instructors, including lineage.
    Schedule (including if it's gi or no gi)
    Contact information (email/contact form and phone number)
    Pictures and video are nice to have, but not necessary.

Things I don't want on a school's website -

Crap spelled wrong. I am very unlikely to come to your school if you can't be bothered to run a spell checker now and again.
    Outdated information. If your school had a seminar in March and it's July now, remove it from upcoming events already.
    Music that starts automatically.
    Flash intro.

16. Stratamagnus

Stratamagnus Blue Belt

The original website is a crime against humanity.

So, I would streamline the site by taking testimonials and putting them on the front page. It'd be great if you could make them randomly generate.

Add price and trial information

Also, I'd make Rolli Delgado more accessible because that could be a big selling point.

17. Hillary

Hillary Brown Belt

The only issue with lineage is the fact that we're no longer affiliated with either Matt or Roli's instructors. I'll look into vid and photos, I'm only one girl and I'm working for free. :)

18. mxsam34

mxsam34 Yellow Belt

as long as it is up to date & has good info on the club

ive been traveling around half the world the last 6 months, & with out a phone, so ive rocked up to many gyms only to find out they changed the time/day like 6 months ago, or there on school holidays or something....update your site people!

19. dazed863

dazed863 Blue Belt

a sparkly tail trailing your mouse pointer would be a nice touch

20. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

There are two things I want to know:
    1. Who teaches the classes
    2. At what time

Don't care about anything else. It's nice to know what the facility looks like but you can never really tell from pictures. Just a clear bio and resume of the instructor with a photo or two, and a schedule that is easy to decipher. Done.

I looked at the website you designed and I think it's great. Looks nice and gets the job done. Nice big photo of the gym, mugshots of all the instructors, clear visual schedule, and some testimonials and stuff. Very nice.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010