What do you look for in a Gi Company

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by BatBoyJG, Jan 15, 2013.

1. BatBoyJG

BatBoyJG Brown Belt

Hey guys, like many of you I love buying new gear and specifically Gi's. Since starting Jiu Jitsu I always thought of having my own brand of kimonos that I could use in competitions and have other people use to, just felt like a surreal and cool thing. I have started to think seriously in getting into the business and would like to know your opinions. What do you guys look for? Price, preferred color and patch work, are you willing to buy from a new company. Anything that you think would be relevant I would appreciate it, so help me out guys. Thanks!

2. Ice 9 Cobra

Ice 9 Cobra Black Belt

I look for an A1L in gray, I've bought everyone I've found so far. (missed the flight suit)

3. JRal

JRal Orange Belt

-The look of the gi is important to me. I like them to be pretty. :icon_lol: I won't even consider the gi if I don't like their patches, logos, and colors.

-One thing, IMO, a few companies have done wrong is name their company something most women wouldn't care to have on their gi. I know there are not a lot of women training, but why would you want to exclude the possibility of women wearing your gi?

-Gi preferences: Decent collar, soft material, rope drawstring, 4-6 belt loops. White or blue (can't wear any other color.). I also really like seam tape. Pretty seam tape. ;) I also like the gi material gusset, like the SYR Charles Lew. I don't know how it feels when rolling, though, because mine is too big and I have to sell it. :icon_cry2 A mouth guard pocket would be nice. I also really like the printing inside the kimono (like Do or Die's "You can't teach heart.")

-Split sizing...I wish all companies offered this!

-Price range: $75-175, but ideally free. ;)

Jenn

4. Championstuff

Championstuff Brown Belt Platinum Member

i like to see that a gi company has enough money to be able to afford advertising. i like to see what the gi looks like on other people, like in magazines. also, if they sponsor fighters, i like to see what the gi looks like when people are using it so i can see if it will hold up. i am only a beginner, but if it's good enough for a high level player then it is good enough for me.

i also like a gi to be light weight, but not all stretchy.

i also like patches. some people don't like them, but i do.

5. DHBiker

DHBiker White Belt

I think something that gets a bit overlooked is an in depth sizing chart. If you're a brand new company, it usually means there aren't any reviews, which help me pick a size. Since I'm a bit of an odd size, I like to get measurements of the gi, instead of just A2 fits 5'5"-5'10" and 175-200 lbs or whatever.

6. R1ceRocket

R1ceRocket Orange Belt

This is the biggest thing for me. After seeing Kauai's sizing chart, I really liked the style of it. Also, I love in between sizes (L/H/S/X, etc.) and a slimmer "euro" cut.

Maybe a "basic/training" line and a more "high end/comp" line. Somewhat like Tatami.

Also, 4-6 belt loops, rope drawstring, extended knee padding, and contrasting seam tape (it adds bling and flair without being in your face).

7. georgwilhelm**

georgwilhelm** Banned Banned

slim sizes
    good quality, comfortable material
    clean look (not too much bling)
    "normal" name (ie not "noobslayer" etc)
    special weaves (ie really light or really heavy or gold), not the always-the-same 450gr pearl weave

wouldn't buy from a completely new company, would wait for reviews and feedback from normal users

8. JRal

JRal Orange Belt

I love it when companies have the gi measurements posted, so that I can compare it to gis I already have!

9. black koala

black koala Banned Banned

Gi's made in Pakistan.