What do you like best about Jiu-Jitsu?

I like:

-The lesson of humility. I tend to be cocky easily, but I like being put back at my place too. You never know what you're worth until you test yourself, and until you find a better guy than you who shuts you down. I like that.

- The physical workout aspect. I like to feel the endorphine running through my body. I like having to deal with bigger guys and pushing my body to its limits. I like pushing myself until exhaustion. There's no better feeling than to be exhausted because you've let it all out. I love that.

- The technical aspect and the intelligence it requires. Understanding what works or not, testing stuff, breaking down what works or not. Getting your preconceptions blown away by something you learn, I love that.

- Teaching. I'm a natural born teacher, I try to teach for a living outside the gym (English language actually), but I love helping newbies too. I'm not that experienced myself, but I understand things easily, and I'm able to explain them easily. I love helping someone out and seeing him improve, especially when the noob gets good enough to challenge me afterwards. That's a great feeling.

I like:

-The lesson of humility. I tend to be cocky easily, but I like being put back at my place too. You never know what you're worth until you test yourself, and until you find a better guy than you who shuts you down. I like that.

- The physical workout aspect. I like to feel the endorphine running through my body. I like having to deal with bigger guys and pushing my body to its limits. I like pushing myself until exhaustion. There's no better feeling than to be exhausted because you've let it all out. I love that.

- The technical aspect and the intelligence it requires. Understanding what works or not, testing stuff, breaking down what works or not. Getting your preconceptions blown away by something you learn, I love that.

- Teaching. I'm a natural born teacher, I try to teach for a living outside the gym (English language actually), but I love helping newbies too. I'm not that experienced myself, but I understand things easily, and I'm able to explain them easily. I love helping someone out and seeing him improve, especially when the noob gets good enough to challenge me afterwards. That's a great feeling.

Who really likes to be knocked down a peg or two??

For me its everything.
Im getting fit in the best way possible, not only am i becoming a lil fitter each time but im learnin something that is cool and valuble.
Its amazing that after a few months how comfortable you feel rolling and that if suttin did kick off and you ended on the ground you would be on another playing field.
Its great when ya pull of techniques or stuff you have been drilling for ages and then the shit clicks then you think your doing great and a higher belt with knock you back down - its great.
I started doing BJJ so i could go into MMA but if that sumhow doesnt come to fruition i'll just start my own gym.

Who really likes to be knocked down a peg or two??

No1 does - but when it happens it means you have to look at and evaluate yourself - the test of some1s character and humilty can be judged on how they carry themsleves thru that period.
You can rather get back on the horse or cry like a bitch.

No1 does - but when it happens it means you have to look at and evaluate yourself - the test of some1s character and humilty can be judged on how they carry themsleves thru that period.
You can rather get back on the horse or cry like a bitch.

Yeah I understand, it's just not something I'd list as one of the reasons I look forward to training. "Oh I can't wait to get humbled tonight!" - nah, doesn't really do it for me! I accept it as part of the learning experience, just like getting punched in the face in boxing, but it's not one of the perks :icon_chee

Yeah I understand, it's just not something I'd list as one of the reasons I look forward to training. "Oh I can't wait to get humbled tonight!" - nah, doesn't really do it for me! I accept it as part of the learning experience, just like getting punched in the face in boxing, but it's not one of the perks :icon_chee

The older I get, the more important I realize that this lesson is. We all need a healthy dose of humility now and then.

For those with a proper view of themselves, it's a very informative process and not really humiliating at all. For those with an improper view of themselves, it is a very necessary wake up call.

The older I get, the more important I realize that this lesson is. We all need a healthy dose of humility now and then.

For those with a proper view of themselves, it's a very informative process and not really humiliating at all. For those with an improper view of themselves, it is a very necessary wake up call.

I guess I just already have a realistic view of myself. Getting humbled is like "tell me something I don't know". I probably also place more importance in technical lessons as opposed to life lessons :icon_chee

Pretty simple question. What do you like best about Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu?

Is it becoming physically fit? (If you weren't already)

Is learning something that will allow you to defend yourself?

Building friendships?

Becoming a badass? :)

These were just some ideas. I'm curious to hear your answers!
I like evrything about Brazilian jiu-jitsu. The art itself, as self defense, sport, exercise and understanding leverage against big&stronger guys. That's why I love watching & competing in openweight division

I do JJJ rather than BJJ, so I know it's a little different but I love how it presents elegant solutions to ugly problems. Like when someone's spazzing a bit and the other person calmly positions themselves and comes out with a beautiful technical submission.

Also, as a lot have already said, the combination of physicality and mental acuity that come together with really skilled guys is a pleasure to watch and an even greater pleasure to experience when you start getting better.

physical, mental, emotional & spiritual stimulation. its the only place i go that gives me all of those at the same time. the shit keeps me sane too. without it i'd probably kirk out on folks at my job. when i was recovering from back surgery, i was lost without it...when i started training again, it was like a fog was lifted off me

Back