What do you like best about Jiu-Jitsu?

AaronWindy

White Belt
Reaction score
Pretty simple question. What do you like best about Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu?

Is it becoming physically fit? (If you weren't already)

Is learning something that will allow you to defend yourself?

Building friendships?

Becoming a badass? :)

These were just some ideas. I'm curious to hear your answers!

I like that it is a combination of intelligence and physicality.

Being fit is good, being smart is good...being both is better.

When you have a really good roll with someone, where both people are using solid technique to advance and reverse, it really doesn't matter who "wins" (to me at least). The joy is in the technique, either doing it or experiencing someone else doing it.

It gives you the power to control people.

It would have to be between:
  • Pimping out gis
  • Fitness and flexibility
  • Controlling a new guy that's 70 lbs heavier than you.

I like the physicality combined with thinking. I also like the fact it can be used as self defense and it is a combat art. I like rolling because it is like meditation for me. I guess I just really like BJJ

I like that it combines artistry with technical problem solving and that it is engaging on all levels, physical, mental, etc...You can be creative, you can be scientific, you can be sportive/competitive you can be a hobbyist who just loves to train, you can use it as a form of personal physical/mental therapy. It's an amazing art.

I'm going to personally go with something intangible. It's not just that I feel fantastic after I roll or do well at a tournament my entire being is just happier I guess. Jiu-Jitsu has been one of the greatest things I've ever done in my life and 3.5 years in I'm more in love with it than I was after the first month. As long as my body holds up I wll be doing Jiu-Jitsu.

Having a second family on the mats and just knowing I can intelligently defend myself.

the same thing I like about Judo, endless possibilities and creativity. I'll never outfrow it or learn close to everything there is.

"The winning..."

Williams.jpg

Honestly I just like the competitiveness. I was always into one-on-one combat related things as a kid (WWF, Van Damme movies, Ninja Turtles :)) I finally made the move into Martial Arts, and fell in love with BJJ. I would also much rather roll than lift weights daily.

Everything is dependent on me. I decide the flow/pace of a roll and what will happen. It's a puzzle that's always changing and after time I just get a few pieces that I put together.

Also, I was always the type of person that would give up prematurely but I genuinely want to see how far I can go in Judo/BJJ. Staying in shape is also a plus. I feel bad for all the guys my age who have beer bellies.

Honestly I just like the competitiveness. I was always into one-on-one combat related things as a kid (WWF, Van Damme movies, Ninja Turtles :)) I finally made the move into Martial Arts, and fell in love with BJJ. I would also much rather roll than lift weights daily.

Agreed. If there is time to weight lift I'm normally training instead.

i like many things about jiu jitsu, the exercise, the comradery, how it can calm your nerves, once you have been to a tournament with your nerves racing, everything else that used to make me nervous simply doesnt anymore

but i gotta say the part i like the best is how its used to be a hobby but has become a part of who i am as a person. jiu jitsu has made me a better person, and for this, i love jiu jitsu

Hmm so many great things about it, hard to narrow it down. For me its the fact for once i can say I'm a real athete. Untill now I never was invloved in a sport where I could shine, bjj gives me chance to showcase my true ability. I also like how I've spread the art to people around me now they wann get involved. I even train my one year old son and hope to promote him someday

I like how it makes me think and work so hard at the same time. And that everybody has a unique style, so rolling with new people is always a learning experience. Being in shape and being able to defend myself on the ground is another bonus.

And that it helps my Judo

I'm going to personally go with something intangible. It's not just that I feel fantastic after I roll or do well at a tournament my entire being is just happier I guess. Jiu-Jitsu has been one of the greatest things I've ever done in my life and 3.5 years in I'm more in love with it than I was after the first month. As long as my body holds up I wll be doing Jiu-Jitsu.

This. I can't really describe how and why, or at least it would be difficult for me without making a wall of text of complicate concepts.

So I will just say that it makes me happy when I practice it like no other competitve sport I have done before. I did Karate when I was a small kid for 3-4 years, I played and still play soccer, I even did some basket, but NOTHING compares to the greatness and the grace of Bjj.

It's just so cool...

It's almost infinite in its possibilities. There are so many possible positions, submissions, sweeps and escapes and they seem to be increasing every day. Every move has counters and re-counters and re-re-counters, spiraling off into some crazy combat fractal.

I also like that combined with its complexity and sophistication, at its heart it's so simple. It boils down to the ultimate sport, two people trying to make the other one quit - except without strikes.

Finally, when you see (or feel) someone really skilled at Jiu-Jitsu move like water to totally dominate and control their opponent, leaving them completely bewildered and tied up, it's like seeing martial arts masters from the movies step into the real world.

The confidence and focus that it gives me. I'm taking meds for anxiety and depression issues and I find that BJJ makes it much easier to deal with. Feel better overall, really.

Back