What do you guys train at home?

Mike32110

White Belt
Reaction score
So assuming you have zero equipment, what do you guys do when you are not at the gym to train your standup? Aside from general conditioning (eg jogging), what do you guys usually do? I am a begginer as well.

One buddy I train with says to walk around on your tip toes all day so you get used to it in MT (I've been told my feet are way too flat). Another thing would be just doing a few minutes of footwork. I was also thinking of doing some light shadowboxing to improve my technique. Will any of these make a difference?

You can get some decent core workouts in also. A strong core in any form of kickboxing is a great tool my friend.

Shadow box, shadow box and more shadow boxing. I also study while i'm at home by watching tutorials, fights and sparring sessions of famous/successful fighters to incorporate certain combos into my shadow boxing which then I translate into sparring.

I will skip rope for a round and then hit my double ended bag in the garage over and over to keep conditioning up if I get stuck out of the gym for a few days. Otherwise, I just do abs, pushups and pull ups like a mad man every chance I get........well, maybe not EVERY chance I get but maybe 3 out of 5 chances.

I am not too sure about the "walking around on your tip toes all day". If the neighbors see you and call it in, two men in white coats may show up and try to throw a net over you. :icon_lol:. In all seriousness though, there are tons of things you can do at home. IMHO, just to name a few, how about:

* Stretching
* Sit Ups
* Push Ups
* Chin Ups
* Weight Training - Requires Equipment.
* Skipping Rope
* Agility Drills
* Running

* Footwork
* Shadow Boxing
* Maize Bag
* Boxing Rope Drills
* Double End Speed Bag - Requires Equipment.
* Heavy Bag - Requires Equipment.

* And, watch everything that you can find on extremely proficient fighters.

Etc..., etc..., etc...

:icon_chee

Last edited:
I sometimes stretch while I watch TV or read a book. And I read a lot about technique and watch a good amount of videos, since I have a language barrier between my coaches and I. Sometimes I do a core workout routine, sit-ups and some pilates and stuff, but not as much as I should (same goes for stretching, actually). i have trouble with shadowboxing in general, I'm just terrible at it, but I've been working on slips and such at home the last week or two. Nothing hardcore, but if I've got 10 or 15 minutes to kill I'll run through some exercises my coach gave me to work on them.

When your watching T.V do pushups/situps during commericals rotate them.

You'd be surprised at how many you end up doing.

I am not too sure about the "walking around on your tip toes all day". If the neighbors see you and call it in, two men in white coats may show up and try to throw a net over you. :icon_lol:. In all seriousness though, there are tons of things you can do at home. IMHO, just to name a few, how about:

* Stretching
* Sit Ups
* Push Ups
* Chin Ups
* Weight Training - Requires Equipment.
* Skipping Rope
* Agility Drills
* Running

* Footwork
* Shadow Boxing
* Maize Bag
* Boxing Rope Drills
* Double End Speed Bag - Requires Equipment.
* Heavy Bag - Requires Equipment.

* And, watch everything that you can find on extremely proficient fighters.

Etc..., etc..., etc...

:icon_chee

Oh man good info thanks

So assuming you have zero equipment, what do you guys do when you are not at the gym to train your standup? Aside from general conditioning (eg jogging), what do you guys usually do? I am a begginer as well.

One buddy I train with says to walk around on your tip toes all day so you get used to it in MT (I've been told my feet are way too flat). Another thing would be just doing a few minutes of footwork. I was also thinking of doing some light shadowboxing to improve my technique. Will any of these make a difference?

Muay Thai fighters dont ALWAYS stay on their tip toes
thats bullshit
in fact i saw an Amateur Fight where some short guy was on his tip toes (im assuming because he was insecure about his reach disadvantage), he looked so off balance and awkward. but that was also because of his poor stance.

I try to keep a firm planted foot when I teep, and keep my front foot planted, but not firmly, and my rear on the ball of my feet

lmao at walking around on your toes.
you can do that, but you don't really have to. if you want you can go jogging on your toes, but usually doing that in training is enough.
if you really want to do stuff at home, i like to do:
push ups
burpees
sit ups and some other core stuff
squats on one/two legs
and an isometric neck exercise

I wrestle around the house with my wife. I sometimes put a pillow in my body armor and kick it like a thai pad.

get a list of combinations and go thru them...get a good dozen combos that you can do well and train them....for example high fake then low kick left jab right cross. the high fake sends their attention upwards the low kick then has a chance to land which brings the attention and their guard down then the punches can land...see how that works it's all a mind game...another one high fake with left hand then right hand to body...then left then right to the face. check out the video fedor throws a right hand fake and a left hook...these moves are all trainable at home then you can sharpen them during sparring but it will be a much better start than just throwing punches and hoping it lands...again its about setup..thinking is underated in fighting...and having your combos trained and rehearsed is the key. feel free to comment.YouTube - David vs Goliath fight

Well...I just went over to my bud's house where he converted his garage into a gym...and we worked pad work for an hour...then worked clinching, throws, and takedowns for an hour. I know technically it's not MY house, and technically we were using thai pads...but it was at A house and if we didn't have the pads we'd probably still have kicked each other for conditioning and worked sparring or techniques, as well as the clinching. LOOOVE clinch sparring.

I mostly work shaddow boxing and footwork at home then I him my heavy bag.....

jump rope/shadow box/double end bag/heavy bag

rinse and repeat

Back