What do you guys think of this school?

Well there's a different opinion, what do you guys think? McDojo? I really have no Idea haw to figure out or pick.

Ok well the ONLY way to know for sure is to go and check it out. Try that and you tell us!

I don't think this is a mcdojo. The instructor has fought in mma several times, and is a legitimate purple belt under Marcello Chapuis Monteiro. It seems that you are having a really hard time deciding on a place to train. Here are some things to consider; What do you want to learn? What days of the week, and times of each day can you fit training into your schedule? How far are you willing to drive to train? How much are you willing to spend each month to train?
Now, for BJJ in SE Michigan, take a look at these websites:

www.warriorway.com
www.ukiyodojo.com
www.srjja.com
www.eastwestmartialarts.com
www.umich.edu/~armbar/
www.maunlimited.com
www.focusjj.tv

I don't have personal experience with these schools, but have heard good things about all of them. Find the ones that best fit with your goals, and schedule, and go check them out. Hope this helps.

Raffi G. said:
I don't think this is a mcdojo. The instructor has fought in mma several times, and is a legitimate purple belt under Marcello Chapuis Monteiro. It seems that you are having a really hard time deciding on a place to train. Here are some things to consider; What do you want to learn? What days of the week, and times of each day can you fit training into your schedule? How far are you willing to drive to train? How much are you willing to spend each month to train?
Now, for BJJ in SE Michigan, take a look at these websites:

www.warriorway.com
www.ukiyodojo.com
www.srjja.com
www.eastwestmartialarts.com
www.umich.edu/~armbar/
www.maunlimited.com
www.focusjj.tv

I don't have personal experience with these schools, but have heard good things about all of them. Find the ones that best fit with your goals, and schedule, and go check them out. Hope this helps.

Yeap, I know several of those schools. Focus JJ and warriorway particulary. I trained at warriorway for about a year before going to MA Unlimited. I prefer the teaching style at MA
Unlimited myself, but I would still say that warriorway was still a good school with some very skilled guys.

jamison said:
Other than Erik Paulson's name, sounds like complete McDojo shit, and if no one on here trains ther, it probably is. How long did each "certification" take? Hmm...And who the hell is "certified in Muay Thai" and wants to still teach wing chun and JKD?? Hell, I want to know where he got his purple, I'm calling McDojo bullshit.
I dissagree. De La Riva is an amazing BJJ guy, so if that's true his grappling seems to be ligit. As far as the other guys, I don't know, other than Dan Inosanto who I would say is the guy if your looking for true JKD, which basicly means an open minded practical aproach to martial arts in general. So as far as where he's coming from thats good stuff.

I would definitely check the school out. That said, always try the other schools in the area too.

Back