What do you find most annoying?

As MMA fans and grapplers, we all hear things and opinions from uneducated people about the sport and grappling.

My question is which of these things do you guys find most annoying?

1. When people call the UFC a sport. We've all met these guys. These are usually the guys wearing Tapout or Affliction(Not always, I don't want to group fight gear wearing ppl into this group I know theres ppl who wear Tapout who arent assholes), the guys who call themselves MMA fans but they only watch the UFC, or havent ever heard of Strikeforce, the WEC, Bellator, DREAM, or Pride. They say things like "UFC is so awesome", "My buddy trains UFC".

2. When people who have never grappled say that BJJ is "gay" or for "homos". Usually the tough guys, who don't train, and only watch MMA for stand up fights. They don't apprieciate grappling, or for whatever reason have to bash BJJ.

3. People who still call MMA "human cockfighting". I run into these people alot. I'm 16 years old, and of all my friends and their parents, I'm the only one who watches MMA. It's the parents of my friends who cannot stand to see me watching MMA. Whenever they come by and see me watchung UFc Unleashed or viewing fights on MMA-core, they always have a negative comment about how the sport should be banned in all states. They always say "Oh, this is that sport where you can do anything" or words to that affect. They'll say "These guys are animals"

For me, it's #3, because I'm 16, and it just amazes me the adults I run into do not have a general idea of what MMA REALLY is. it's 2010, not 1993 anymore. Theres rules, regulations, athletic commisions over seeing everything, refs, and big companies sponsoring the athletes, they're not animals.

1. UFC basically started and monopolized MMA, so you can't blame people for not knowing the other organizations. It's mass media.

2. It does kind of have sexual connotations. Some guys I know still find grappling with the opposite sex awkward. And I still personally make sexual jokes about it, like putting a guy in the North-South, humiliating them by saying "You eat my dick!" (Borat reference), or that "It's not gay if there's no eye contact" poster. To be fair, everything is gay with fans, be it defensive fighting, utilizing footwork, and anything else that is not "exciting" and action-movie shit. Basically anything not Don Frye vs. Yoshihiro Takayama.

3. What can we do? The UFC markets it that way. I mean, do you see any martial arts, and I mean arts that happen to be martial, in the promotional videos? Do you see any deliberate attempt to show grace and skill? No. They show a gladiator, and a highlight reel of brutal knockouts and G&P. Because it sells. They don't market the martial arts, they market the blood. Because blood sells.

4. Give the kid a break. He's 16.

That's what I think anyway.

I don't like sitting at live fights and hearing people pretend they know what they are talking about. Or try to shout "advice" to the fighters like they are lifelong MA's Other than that I don't get too bothered.

1 and 2 don't really bother me but #3 does because it always seems to be the people with the power to stop MMA's growth saying this.

#2 is what got me into grappling. Now I don't have to ride public transit for my daily "feelsies"

none really bother me

i cant control those things, so i dont waste energy wishing i could

Back