What do you find most annoying?

chunglii

No Me Duele
@Titanium
Reaction score
As MMA fans and grapplers, we all hear things and opinions from uneducated people about the sport and grappling.

My question is which of these things do you guys find most annoying?

1. When people call the UFC a sport. We've all met these guys. These are usually the guys wearing Tapout or Affliction(Not always, I don't want to group fight gear wearing ppl into this group I know theres ppl who wear Tapout who arent assholes), the guys who call themselves MMA fans but they only watch the UFC, or havent ever heard of Strikeforce, the WEC, Bellator, DREAM, or Pride. They say things like "UFC is so awesome", "My buddy trains UFC".

2. When people who have never grappled say that BJJ is "gay" or for "homos". Usually the tough guys, who don't train, and only watch MMA for stand up fights. They don't apprieciate grappling, or for whatever reason have to bash BJJ.

3. People who still call MMA "human cockfighting". I run into these people alot. I'm 16 years old, and of all my friends and their parents, I'm the only one who watches MMA. It's the parents of my friends who cannot stand to see me watching MMA. Whenever they come by and see me watchung UFc Unleashed or viewing fights on MMA-core, they always have a negative comment about how the sport should be banned in all states. They always say "Oh, this is that sport where you can do anything" or words to that affect. They'll say "These guys are animals"

For me, it's #3, because I'm 16, and it just amazes me the adults I run into do not have a general idea of what MMA REALLY is. it's 2010, not 1993 anymore. Theres rules, regulations, athletic commisions over seeing everything, refs, and big companies sponsoring the athletes, they're not animals.

I only really experience #1, but I don't find it that annoying.

You. I kid. Seriously, #1 all the way "Hey man, I know UFC!" It makes me want to slam my head into something hard until I knock myself out. I hate retards.

usually when people start bitching threads.

that really gets me.

its like, just go bitch to a real person and like don't start shitty threads about it.

it's kinda gay.

2. When people who have never grappled say that BJJ is "gay" or for "homos". Usually the tough guys, who don't train, and only watch MMA for stand up fights. They don't apprieciate grappling, or for whatever reason have to bash BJJ.

Yep.

None of these really bother me. What I end up hearing the most is #2, but can you really say that grappling isn't homoerotic? The attitude behind saying stuff like "yo that kind of shit is gay" is just laughable, but it never gets to me. Of course, no one bashed BJJ in front of me yet... it's something you're pretty much taught as a kid not to do down here.

Well, since my Mom is a fan of MMA I don't think that #3 bothers me, haha.

Mostly 2 because I've been wrestling for 5 years on top of BJJ training for the past 6 months, so it's just annoying when people insist it's for queers.

lol @ "trains UFC" ... maybe I should start "training MLB"

I'm gonna add a 4th option...

#4. People who start online discussions whining about what annoys them in their life. MMA/UFC, because of it's nature, attracts a lot of aholes and douchebag fans. We ALL know they're out there. So just get over it.

none of it bothers me. people have opinions, preferences. just leave it.

It's not really annoying, but I really wish more people even knew what bjj is.

All of them are annoying to an extent.

But I never care when people wear TapOut/Affliction/OTM/whatever. Personally I like Affliction (When got my first Affliction shirt I didn't know it was an MMA company). Also, don't care if some guy says UFC is awesome but only saw 1 or 2 cards. Better than the "I hate MMA, it should be banned" people. All sports have their fanatics or idiots

Saying UFC is a sport really isn't that bad. Saying 'I Train UFC' depending on context isn't that bad. If you didn't know that football elsewhere is "American Football" you might say "I play NFL" to the person you are trying to talk to.

Not knowing Strikeforce/Bellator/whatever isn't that bad either. To be fair, Pride isn't around anymore. Strikeforce is the inbetween point of UFC and the "minor leagues" of MMA.

Human cockfighting is annoying. But it is true to an extent. But so is any form of martial arts. But trying to get it banned is bad. But look at it through the eyes of the lay person again. Chances are you'll see (depending on the fight) bloody people punching and kicking the life out of each other, and sometimes you'll catch head stomping. Does sound pretty brutal. Or that picture where one of the guy's cauliflower ear literally popped out (there was a little waxy looking stone laying in the ring and the guy's ear was bleeding like crazy and looked deflated). However, McCain seemed stupid. He hated MMA but was an avid boxing fan. If I remember correctly he also called it human cockfighting.

"BJJ is gay". To be fair, to the lay person some of the stuff does look quite odd (especially a deep north-south or even a triangle choke). But hey, you can argue football is gay too. A bunch of big sweaty men jumping on each other. Stupid, but make sense when you look at it through another person's perspective.

I call myself an MMA fan. But even then I rarely see UFC, or even most fights I cant find off youtube. Why? No cable. I watch Strikeforce if the TV guide says it's on but I'm not gonna lose sleep just to watch it.

mine is sort of like #3. i get into many arguments with my friends especially girls, nothing against girls but they're really ignorant about mma in general and they cannot accept mma as a true sport. i actually enjoy getting into debates where it leaves them speechless because they cant counter any of my points.
yet they still don't accept mma as a sport so......yeah i just drop it but i know that im right lol.

i've heard people call bjj and mma gay and homosexual. i kind of just shake my head and move on. why waste my energy on close minded idiots?

I'm gonna add a 4th option...

#4. People who start online discussions whining about what annoys them in their life. MMA/UFC, because of it's nature, attracts a lot of aholes and douchebag fans. We ALL know they're out there. So just get over it.

Shut up, stupid whitebelt

I hate people saying that it's barbaric to the point where I ignore everything they say and just when they are about to walk away I make them listen to my 5-10 minute lecture on why I watch it and train it and all around love it compared to other sports I have participated in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back