What do you eat before training?

FLMikeATT

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I did a search, but nothing popped up.

I'm wondering if I'm eating enough before class. I usually have 2 slices of wheat bread about an hour before class. Is this good? Should I eat more or eat something else?

What, and how long do you eat before training?

I like to down a couple of tallboys before training. Maybe a nip of Black Label if I'm feeling frisky.

meh. I'm trying to improve my diet and I really don't know shit about nutrition, so I'm wondering if I should change my before-training eating habits.

I would go with at least two slices of 100% whole wheat pbj or banana and a 300ml milk/20-30gram whey protein shake 1.5 hours before training. Everyone is different with how fast their stomachs get the stuff rolling so youll have to experiment a bit. Always follow up the training with a quick whey shack and fruit or something to feed the muscles.

I would go with at least two slices of 100% whole wheat pbj or banana and a 300ml milk/20-30gram whey protein shake 1.5 hours before training. Everyone is different with how fast their stomachs get the stuff rolling so youll have to experiment a bit. Always follow up the training with a quick whey shack and fruit or something to feed the muscles.
Sounds good. I'll try this. I do love me a good pbj sandwich.

I have pretty much the same as above. I buy this bread called Health Nut, it's fucking amazing, a big tablespoon of PB and a banana. After training, I hit the whey shake. Good stuff.

I go with a small portion of a protein source like tuna or chicken along with a banana or two. Maybe some oatmeal instead of the protein source depending on what I feel liike having. No reason for backing this except complex carbs which give you energy along with some protein. I usually eat this at around 1.5 hours before training.

My practices are at lunchtime, so I usually eat after. If i decide to eat lunch at all...

PB and J like one hour before..maybe a banana and some water. anything else and i feel sick.

A couple hours before I eat chicken in a whole wheat tortilla and take a multivitamin. On the way to class, usually 1/2 hour before, I have some Gatorade and half of a Cliff bar (only half cuz they're like $1.50 each and I'm cheap) for some quick release carbs. Right after class I have a protein shake with a banana mixed in and fish oil pills and then try and eat a healthy dinner about an hour later. Works for me.

About 2 hours before, I stop eating anything that might make me toss my cookies. Maybe a banana and some propel and water. Hydrate! If I do eat. It has to be something lite like chicken or rice. Small portions.

I don't eat any sooner than 3 hours before training.

i like eating tuna, chicken, turkey...all kinds of low fat high protien.

if i eat within the 3 hours it's usually some type of fruit.

I usually train at 10 am, so I eat bfast around 7:45 or 8. Usually something small, my stomach has to be damn near empty or I'll yak. I like to push the cardio about as far as I can, especially now since I have a tourney in a few weeks.

i dont usually eat anything right before training.....

AM Training (2 hours before): fruit, chicken or salmon, cheese

PM Training (4 hours before): pork or beef, salad

I try and eat a good balanced breakfast, because I don't like to train after a big lunch. I'll eat a banana and drink a gatorade or vitamin water on the way to the gym. Sometimes I'll remember the peri-workout nutrition paranoia of my serious lifting days, and will have a protein shake with simple carbs.

I used to drink a protein shake and then eat a meal an hour after, but now I eat whatever. I could be way under or over the estimated calories I would look towards, but I've seen no significant change in body composition.

Here's an example. Breakfast-Kashi cereal, milk, banana. Lunch-Protein shake, Cheetos, Vitamin Water. Dinner/Post Training-fried chicken, granola bars, sweet tea. That is a horrific diet. Amazing what the body does with pig slop if the training is hard enough. I clean it up if I need to cut, but nothing like the insanity of my previous daily diet.

I eat real small, so I have some pretzels and water about 45 minutes out.

I don't eat any sooner than 3 hours before training.

i like eating tuna, chicken, turkey...all kinds of low fat high protien.

if i eat within the 3 hours it's usually some type of fruit.

Same here. Usually it's 2 hours for me.

Right now, I go to jiu jitsu right from school. The healthiest thing on the way there is a lebanese place so I usually have a shawarma and a water about and hour and half before school. I haven't had any stomach issues while training yet.

Plus, shawarmas are fucking delicious.

this past class i got away with eating a pork chop dinner with potatoes like 40 minutes before. Stomach hurt a little but i was alright, i kinda want to stick with the PB and banana sandwich though.

Back