what do you do when you get frustrated with your game?

alaskajitsu

White Belt
Reaction score
lately ive been getting frustrated with my training. i feel like i should be doing better, and like i know the techniques but im slow to react and i just get into worse and worse positions. bjj has always been fun to me but sometimes i go through these funks where it isn't. im a pretty competitive person, and im sure that it doesnt help, but sometimes i just need to calm down and not take things so seriously. anyone else go through the same thing?

Everyone has bad days, weeks, months, and even years. Just keep training and try to learn something from your bad days.

I usually sit naked in the dark crying and chugging tequila until I vomit. Then I get back out there and try to fix it. Sometimes, taking a little break from the mats for a week or so can actually help clear your head, sometimes, the best thing to do is train more/harder until you reach some better or more effective approach. Feel you situation out, relax a little, and just work on one thing at a time (side control escapes, resetting guard, breaking posture, etc.)

As I drive home sad and depressed about it I think about the videos that inspires me. I then go on the computer and watch the ADCC 2005 HL, the BJJ in mma part 1 and "duex". I then watch videos that relate to my game and I'm kinda fixed.

If I have those day (most likely its a week) then I go to training and just be there as a body for others to train. I don't really work my game to much (maybe escapes) but mostly I just go there to help others.

I just got off one of those weeks, now I'm hitting everything I tried....

When I get frustrated with my game I take a deep breath then throw my controller at the TV.

"what do you do when you get frustrated with your game?"

post on the internet.

I think we all go through that phase, I think you're on the right track by relaxing and trying to enjoy the training. Often times when you are attempting to fix something that's not working or incorporate new techniques in your game you have to expect some failures. Just like anything else, BJJ can become a job if you put too much pressure on yourself.

I usually take a break and work on my strength training and flexiblity. its good because as you give yourself a break your still improving your game

Choke out newbies.

i lol'd

yeah, you're all right on everything you've said. and im not just posting this for me, but because im sure there are other guys out there that feel the same way. but when i usually get frustrated or burned out, a day or two of some time off lets me calm down, and heal up. usually after a couple days, i miss being on the mat and im ready to come back and have fun.

but yeah back to the quote, anyone ever get tooled by a purple/brown and feel like grabbing a white belt to make yourself feel better? is that bad? :p

do better...train harder...

there are no plateaus or boundaries. there's nothing you can't do. the only thing that ever holds you back is the guy you see in the mirror.

/zen

I usually take a break and work on my strength training and flexiblity. its good because as you give yourself a break your still improving your game

Same here.

If I am getting frustrated I take a little bit off and do the above instead of continuing to train. Training while frustrated in my experiences has lead to developing bad habits.

Not that I'm at a high-level by any means, but I like to take a step back and go back to basics. I get fully stretched and do movement drills and train basic escapes and subs with as perfect form as I can. Seems like it helps me to feel sharper and get a little confidence back.

I made a grappling dummy so I could engrave techniques into muscle memory to eliminate this type of problem, lol

I always think back to the very basics. Simple concepts and techniques, work on those. At the end of the day, the traditional basics will beat all of these new innovative techniques. Lately I've been working on my guard passing defense, not in a sense of keeping my guard, but in a sense to get a sweep out of it at the same time. I have a bunch of great single leg attacks from people who pass the guard standing. I have a few great back taking techniques from half guard passes. Little things that will open your game up more.

i lol'd

yeah, you're all right on everything you've said. and im not just posting this for me, but because im sure there are other guys out there that feel the same way. but when i usually get frustrated or burned out, a day or two of some time off lets me calm down, and heal up. usually after a couple days, i miss being on the mat and im ready to come back and have fun.

but yeah back to the quote, anyone ever get tooled by a purple/brown and feel like grabbing a white belt to make yourself feel better? is that bad? :p

I almost always end my night rolling with a white belt after telling them I want to work on my subs. That way I always go home with a good feeling about my training. usually. Every once in a while this blows up in my face when the white belt turns out to be a badass who will be armbarring me regularly in 6 mos.

But, generally, it works. I almost always roll with bigger tougher, higher ranked guys, and so I have to find a white belt to roll with if I want to practice sets ups and subs. Always on the defensive against better grapplers.

Back