What do you actually call a concussion?

GoatArtemLobov

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I'm very very aware of the dangers of brain damage, and that's why I never wanted to compete despite arguably having good potential.
I just wanted to ask something : what would you call a concussion ?
For instance, over the years, I know I one time had a concussion (out for 2 minutes, it wasn't even in combat sports). This was a concussion for sure!
But many times (I would say about 10 times in 10 years of boxing), I got hit in the head clean, felt it, but was able to continue sparring and didn't feel impaired on the cognitive field at all. I exactly knew where I was, could tell what I did the hours before, everything was fine. I also didn't develop any headaches until going to bed at night. Had mild to moderate headache for anything between 24h and 72 hours. after But again, I didn't feel diminished (maybe a little tired and foggy, but that's it).
Did I have a concussion every time? How much does it take for something to be considered a concussion?
What is your experience with those things?

I believe the technical term is split wig

I’m pretty sure there’s an actual medical definition, diagnosis, and protocol. Wtf? Sherguys trying to define medical shit. Holy crap, buddy.

Im a neuro trauma critical care nurse. A concussion is called a concussion.

It may be that blows to the head that aren't even going to be considered concussions can nonetheless act to accumulate brain damage. Our cerebral cortex has a structure such that quite a lot of neurons run anatomically parallel with each other. A blow at right angles to that parallel structure of neurons, could have a shearing effect on a great many cerebral cortex neurons.

lol...people aren't reading the body of the post. He doesn't really mean what term should one use for a concussion. He's asking what exactly qualifies as being a concussion or at what point should one assume or suspect he or she has one.

I have boxed and trained mma for about 25 years, and the only time i felt like i had a concussion was actually during a game of soccer. I probably had mild concussions after sparring but was never aware of it.

During a soccer match, the ball bounced to waist height and some dude ran in to kick it as hard as he could. I nipped in before him and put my head down and headed the ball out the way, only to take the full kick straight in the head. It felt like i was drunk and my hearing was like being underwater in a swimming pool. I felt wide awake but kept forgetting where i was or what happened five seconds ago. It was a weird sensation.

In short, if you're genuinely concussed, you'd probably know about it.

If I’m not mistaken, they are called a good old head bobble wobble.

I think there's some disagreement in the medical community about what exactly constitutes a concussion, but I've read that just briefly seeing stars is evidence of a mild concussion.

The symptoms are usually subtle, such as dizziness and “seeing stars.” The most frequent symptoms are headache, dizziness, nausea and imbalance. Loss of consciousness occurs in a minority of cases.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3735746/

I'm very very aware of the dangers of brain damage, and that's why I never wanted to compete despite arguably having good potential.
I just wanted to ask something : what would you call a concussion ?
For instance, over the years, I know I one time had a concussion (out for 2 minutes, it wasn't even in combat sports). This was a concussion for sure!
But many times (I would say about 10 times in 10 years of boxing), I got hit in the head clean, felt it, but was able to continue sparring and didn't feel impaired on the cognitive field at all. I exactly knew where I was, could tell what I did the hours before, everything was fine. I also didn't develop any headaches until going to bed at night. Had mild to moderate headache for anything between 24h and 72 hours. after But again, I didn't feel diminished (maybe a little tired and foggy, but that's it).
Did I have a concussion every time? How much does it take for something to be considered a concussion?
What is your experience with those things?
From my experience (not medical background):
Concussion is any kind of strike or collision that makes your 'brain shake', slapping yourself on the forehead is technically a concussion although a very light one. Usually when a doctor says that you got a concussion - it means you have medium+ concussion, which usually has the following side-effects: passing out, nausea and weakness.

During boxing sparring no matter how good you are - you are getting hit approximately 20-30 times (talking 3 rounds amateur level) on the head. I don't think there are sufficient material for studies, but I believe the damage is accumulative. I quit boxing because I started having headaches, after I quit they became less frequent (still suffered from them for about 7 years) until they fully disappeared.

I got the Homer Simpson syndrome, so I'm bound to already have a couple. I actually heard my coach call me.that in sparring last night. I probably should not like to use my head to absorb shots

If you're concussed, then you will likely have a concussion. I hope this is helpful.

I think any action that bruises the brain is a concussion.

As for how you know if you've got one, any time you've been hit hard enough to lose consciousness, even for an instant, is probably a concussion. There might be other symptoms too; when I last had one, everything seemed sparkly, which of course didn't help the intense headache I also had.

Back