Opinion What do we do about people who are stupid with money?

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Richmma80, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Richmma80

Richmma80 Blue Belt

The big topic lately, especially coming from Justice Democrats, is helping poor people. More money for social programs.

Having been working for the welfare department for quite awhile, I have a lot of experience dealing with people on welfare and if you ever worked in one, you would know what I'm talking about.

First of all, drug use is everywhere. If they can sell their benefits to get drugs, they would. They sell their food stamps, trade EBT for money, etc.

Second of all, half of the people in that go in the building drive better cars than me. Either newer, more expensive cars, or older cars that have had money put into them.

These cars don't last long. They always get repod. These people are absolutely horrible with money. Having money means having money to spend on stupid things, they don't pay their bills. This is very noticeable during tax refund time. The absolute stupid things they spend their money on, instead of paying bills that were overdue 3 months ago.

I honestly think these people cannot be saved. Even if you give them 4k a month for free, they would manage to spend that on stupid things, instead of paying their bills.

The people on section 8 pretty much only have to pay 30 bucks a month for rent, and they dont even pay that. They always get evicted for not paying that small of an amout, even though they got money to spend on weed

There are very few people that make it out, and these people dont stay long. Most people are in welfare for life.

This was the general opinion of me and everyone who worked at my building.

2. Kitafuji

Kitafuji Purple Belt

I am sure by the time we get to 30 posts this problem will be solved by sherdogers.

3. Rhood

Rhood Gold Belt

I believe that's the least of our problems.
    Most of our tax dollars go to an overblown military budget.
    That means most of our tax dollars are getting funneled out of the country, and yet we can't even afford a fucking wall.

bufetadanacara and MikeMcMann like this.
  4. Last Samurai

Last Samurai Gold Belt

invest in companies selling weed

and hope they keep doing what they're doing

5. Richmma80

Richmma80 Blue Belt

I guess its people who are stupid. Period. These people who are horrible with money are horrible at making life choices. Horrible at everything and there's no saving them. Most people who were poor and win the lottery for millions, sometimes tens of milions, lose it all and be back to where they were in life.

uppercutbus likes this.
  6. Rygu

Rygu Red Belt Platinum Member

A lot of people are awful at prioritizing, and living within their means.

Accept what you can and cannot afford.

I was going to guy a Geforce 2080 in January but $2500 in vet bills cancelled that out, now I have to wait until March.

uppercutbus likes this.
  7. Dilan Cummingsworth

Dilan Cummingsworth Yellow Card Yellow Card

If they make bad life choices that's on them. The people that decide they really don't want to be on welfare will take steps to make it out whether that be education or employment no matter how difficult it is. There's not much that can be done to persuade people to change their lifestyles if they don't want to. 95% of them don't even realize that welfare is a privilege and is mean't to be a support system to help better themselves

8. panamaican

panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

Lot of generalizing in the OP.

There are people who are stupid with money at all levels of income (see Johnny Depp). So is this thread about people who are stupid with money or is it about people on welfare?

Pito, Revolver, Anung Un Rama and 6 others like this.
  9. Dirt Road Soldier

Dirt Road Soldier Salt the flesh! Fuck the wound!

Sadly, some days you just cant fix stupid.

uppercutbus likes this.
  10. Trotsky

Trotsky Gold Belt

Yeah, somewhat hard to believe you now. Plenty of us here work with and live alongside the poor. Lemme guess: they all wear brand new Air Jordans, have new iPhones, and embed real diamonds on their long ass fake fingernails.

Also, the beginning of the answer is pretty obvious, isn't it? You do what the most successful countries have done in addressing poverty: you provide basic essentials publicly instead of providing cash payments toward them. You make healthcare universal with copays and you guarantee housing. I don't think budgetary paternalism toward the poor is a real pressing issue, and I don't think there's much data to say that it is, but the answer is the same as most re "what do we do with the poor?" You don't pontificate about behaviors that are downstream from poverty: you address poverty at the source.

SaiWa, Bobby 3 Sticks and luckyshot like this.
  11. thefirstemporer

thefirstemporer Overdone and dry! Platinum Member

12. Cole train

Cole train Blue Belt

Dude that thing about new cars,air jordans etc is pretty true

They buy that shit on credit and they cant pay for them lol

wufabufa likes this.
  13. Richmma80

Richmma80 Blue Belt

If I still work there, Id take a picture of the parking lot and post it. In fact, I'll ask one of my friends who still work there to do just that. Will you apologize to me if I do and prove you wrong?

A lot of them use their tax refunds for down payment then they lose the car. Repod for being behind payments.

They're not driving benzes, but half of them are driving newer cars than mine and I drive an 04 corolla.

14. Headkicktoleg

Headkicktoleg Steel Belt

My first job out of college was a bank teller in Garner. NC basically the poor area of Raleigh. It's pretty insane how bad with money a lot of people are. I once had a girl scream at me and say what did you mother fuckers do with my money. When I looked at her account she spent $60 on candy crush and couldn't pay her electric bill. Our bank was also part of the VITA program so I would do people's taxes for free. I saw people who earned less than $10k for the whole year get over $15k in their "refund" and 2 months later show up for pay day loans

MassDistortion, orangecuse and Rygu like this.
  15. panamaican

So because you drive a 15 year old car that's an indication that poor people should also drive 15 year old cars?

16. luckyshot

luckyshot iP of the ENTIRE WR

I'm just going to leave this here to cut off some dumb comments.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  17. Richmma80

Richmma80 Blue Belt

This was years ago. I just bought a new Tundra. I dont work there anymore.

Malvo likes this.
  18. panamaican

My point remains the same. Your choice of vehicle doesn't say anything about the spending habits of others. You've bought cars so you know that just having a down payment isn't enough to qualify anyone for a car loan. They need proof of income, co-signers, decent credit scores, etc.

Bobby 3 Sticks likes this.
  19. Headkicktoleg

Headkicktoleg Steel Belt

So we should get rid of ss, Medicare and Medicaid!

20. HeffDoesWant

HeffDoesWant White Belt

Let them declare bankruptcy and make them president, obviously.