what do non americans think about the standard american accent?

Depends on the accent, but often it kinda sounds fake like listening to fictional TV or a movie. Talking about IRL, don't come across standard Murican accents as much as more regional Murican accents.

2 pages and no mention of our glorious Boston accent? I hate you all

It is very understandable but lackluster

I find everywhere in the US has an accent, although some states sound similar to others. California sounds similar to Delaware/DC/Pennsylvania imo

I don't know what the "standard" accent is

Oh and when we were out for food, two blonde American girls sat near our table and we could over hear their conversation and I wanted to stab myself in the ears by the end of it.

"It was like, Oh my god, like uh huh, like.. do you think he likes me, like oh my god you gotta talk to him, like, like, like, do you think this is high in calories, like oh my god"

So-Cal Shorties

Considering when foreign groups sing, they sing in American English I would say normal. Robert Plant, Oasis, The Who, The Stones, Adele, Bob Marley, Rihanna, Ozzy, Scorpions....the accent and language is made for music. I will admit some dialects sound harsh and stupid like Boston, Fargo, Brooklyn, redneck southern, Chcaaago. But standard Notheast American sounds normal.

Maybe,

I've lived in Brooklyn and Staten Island, and spent a few months in Manhattan a few years back, but I get tired of it too, it wears on you, the people, the noise...the noisey people lol

ive lived in SI too,that was the most miserable

What's amazing to me are British lead singers who have the most outrageous accents where you can't understand a fucking word they're saying...

But when they start singing, they're as a clear as a bell. It's really amazing.

hahah even Ozzy is way more understandable in his crazy man warbling than his normal speaking voice

I think it is normal, when I speak English I have a mild American accent as when I learned English, it was from American english. But I think somewhere like Arizona/Northern Illinois (Chicago) or maybe Washington (I have no idea), sound like a standard American accent.

It's weird for me, hearing the American accent in movies, tv shows, music etc is fine/normal. However hearing the accent in real life when ever i visit the states, i find it to be highly whiney and annoying, especially the californian accent

I think they're all pretty okay, but I do find the really slow delivery characterised by a few of them to be acutely annoying. Don't worry - my brain CPU is fast enough to comprehend speech, even if yours isn't.

Being a Canadian, it sounds normal to me.

But I'll share a story. Years ago I was on a road trip around the western states. Was somewhere, probably northeast California. Walked into a store and me and my friend were doing a mocking version of a southern accent. The clerk, a southern Belle type said

"Now y'all must be from the south".

Oh shit. We didn't want to lie, but also didn't want to admit that we were making fun of a southern accent. So we just answered everything "yes maam, no maam". I think we got away with it.
Yeah, it's fucking weird. In a lot of the more rural areas of California, people have southern accents, or something like it. I don't get it.

ive lived in SI too,that was the most miserable
What part?

I don't mind SI, it got shitty, but I liked my neighbors. Nowadays I don't know who lives next to me, and even if I do we don't say a word to one another.

Television journalists are taught to have the standard American accent, which I've read, is supposedly a northeast Ohio accent.

Ah, ok. Well, it's pretty non offensive. Not too brash or arrogant, and easy to understand. Which is the whole point I guess.

What part?

I don't mind SI, it got shitty, but I liked my neighbors. Nowadays I don't know who lives next to me, and even if I do we don't say a word to one another.

great kills,old town,arden heights...i lived there for 8 yrs

Its funny that you mention an English accent but go on to say how much vatiety there is in American accents. There are huge variants in england alone and some of them i cant understand. To an outsider american accents sound hardh, brash, fake, insensire and full of confidence
I learned after watching The Only Way is Essex, there's absolutely differences in British accents. Estuary English FTL.

I'll be interested to see what the Irish think of my Chicago accent next week lol

Back