what do non americans think about the standard american accent?

Bland

I'm American though

Really, bland?

The way you chew over your vowel sounds. You mangle the English language sometimes.

Whereas, English accents can sound flat and monotoned in comparison.

To be honest, I don't really know what the "standard American accent is". I presume you have an equivalent to the English RP. Can you give an example of an Actor who speaks with this accent?

When I visited Scotland, they loved it. They kept telling me to say "asshole" and they were all over me.

Really, bland?

The way you chew over your vowel sounds. You mangle the English language sometimes.

Whereas, English accents can sound flat and monotoned in comparison.

Ok, still sounds pretty bland to me though, just my opinion.

The enetertainment industry has desensitized the american accent to me. It's just whatever. American women loved my aussie accent when I visited a while back. I don't know how anyone can find an aussie accent attractive tbh. But hey i'm not complaining.

Ok, still sounds pretty bland to me though, just my opinion.

Noone asked you anyway, MELVIN, It was a question for non-Americans so butt out!

; )

Just kidding.

Did you like Christian Bale's accent for Patrick Bateman? It's one of myfavourite acting performances of all time. Accent was great imo

Noone asked you anyway, MELVIN, It was a question for non-Americans so butt out!

4a4e23bc905ca8cde2500319bbff11ab4757ae7efb3bd2a240426750a65d76b5.jpg

It can be super sexy on women especially a Californian or southern accent.

However when you're sat in the vicinity of a dickhead bragging about himself the accent seems to drown out jet engines and jackhammers.

The internet has many more, but I'm almost out of alcohol so you're gonna be on your own.

You've been posting drunk this whole time?

Get a grip Melvin.

Drive safely buddeh

You've been posting drunk this whole time?

Get a grip Melvin.

Drive safely buddeh

Went and saw Lights Out at a theater that serves beer, decided to have a bit more when I got home and have just kind of been coasting since then.

Went and saw Lights Out at a theater that serves beer, decided to have a bit more when I got home and have just kind of been coasting since then.

Sweet.

Does it live up to the short? Short looked better executed.

Sweet.

Does it live up to the short? Short looked better executed.

Starts off really well then kind of drags a bit, but it manages to stay somewhat entertaining, things picked up in the end aside from a few really cheesy moments. Overall not a bad watch, probably would have been better if it was R, a lot of the scenes felt restricted because they were trying to stay within the PG-13 range.

As a person with English as my second language I could say that American English to me is a hell of a lot better and easier to understand than English English.

When watching UFC I understand 100% what Goldie and Joe are saying. With Dan Hardy or Bisping I need to concentrate.

For context, Norwegian here.

It has so much exposure that it's just a default for me. No positives, no negatives. Add 0 to all stats, take no extra skills, special abilities or flaws. Whatever you do to distinguish your character will have to come from other picks than this one.

Standard American accent implies lack of education, greater empathy, less manly, more feminine, frivolous, more idealistic, less grounded in base concerns.

What's amazing to me are British lead singers who have the most outrageous accents where you can't understand a fucking word they're saying...

But when they start singing, they're as a clear as a bell. It's really amazing.

I just got back from 'Murica (Vegas) and I found the American accent annoying. But ya'll murican's loved our British accent..

Me and the misses would be chilling in the pool, having a bit of a chin wag and we got interrupted a number of times by americans saying..
"Oh wow, are you guy's British?... I would looove to visit London. I love the show Downton Abbey. Everything is so green"
And I'm there like.. Why? The vast majority of London is a shit hole and Britain is shit! I'd much rather sit in the sun and eat your fat ass burgers and enjoy the sun.

Oh and when we were out for food, two blonde American girls sat near our table and we could over hear their conversation and I wanted to stab myself in the ears by the end of it.

"It was like, Oh my god, like uh huh, like.. do you think he likes me, like oh my god you gotta talk to him, like, like, like, do you think this is high in calories, like oh my god"

But! I would live in America, and I know a woman from San Francisco or whatever and her accent is pretty cool.

Last edited:
To be honest, I don't really know what the "standard American accent is". I presume you have an equivalent to the English RP. Can you give an example of an Actor who speaks with this accent?

Television journalists are taught to have the standard American accent, which I've read, is supposedly a northeast Ohio accent.

Back