what do non americans think about the standard american accent?

Do we have a standard one? There are so many different ones.

i dont have a thick accent luckily. I have new york isms like GTFOHYEA but i dont say everything like that.

oh man my friend from norway visited new york and he couldnt stop saying GTFOH,he loved it

Yea man, I don't say everything like that either, I hate that shit though. I've been trying not to curse as much lately, it's not working..I think it makes my accent sound even worse.

People from Long Island have strong accents, and the remaining Italians on Staten Island.

The idiot I was with for a few years was from S.C, she used to video tape my friends and I having conversations because she couldn't believe how we spoke. The feeling was mutual.

Yea man, I don't say everything like that either, I hate that shit though. I've been trying not to curse as much lately, it's not working..I think it makes my accent sound even worse.

People from Long Island have strong accents, and the remaining Italians on Staten Island.

The idiot I was with for a few years was from S.C, she used to video tape my friends and I having conversations because she couldn't believe how we spoke. The feeling was mutual.

yeahh...some of my friends are terrible with it,i laugh at them and im from here too.

I go up to montreal alot,and ive been told i really should learn french cos girls think american accented french is hot.

yeahh...some of my friends are terrible with it,i laugh at them and im from here too.

I go up to montreal alot,and ive been told i really should learn french cos girls think american accented french is hot.
I went to montreal a few years ago, the girls are smoking... I'm going back soon, they seem to like New Yorkers, or they're just friendly like that to everyone... Either way I'm going back bro

I went to montreal a few years ago, the girls are smoking... I'm going back soon, they seem to like New Yorkers, or they're just friendly like that to everyone... Either way I'm going back bro

I think they are just friendly people. Its such a contrast to New york that it really makes me hate to come back.

I've never really had an opinion tbh

I got a serious thing for deep south though. I call up Texas or Atlanta at work sometimes and shit is steamy. I hear that accent and I want to squeal like a pig

lol it aint that special Zer. i could introduce you to a few homegirls who got that twang ;)

I think they are just friendly people. Its such a contrast to New york that it really makes me hate to come back.
They're so friendly I thought they were scheming on me... I had to put myself in check and realize I'm not at home.

They shit all over southern hospitality. Lolll

Hate that stupid accent that a lot of Fox News journalists have. NY accent sounds awesome if you are a man. Standard English accent from UK is pretty cool, but once you go full Cockney it just sounds retarded, I like Scottish, Irish and Australian though, in a funny way of course

They're so friendly I thought they were scheming on me... I had to put myself in check and realize I'm not at home.

They shit all over southern hospitality. Lolll

It was natural and organic for me mostly...sometimes i was shocked in positive ways...it made me think that this is the way people back home should behave,but NYC is just so big and insane,theres no way we'd pull it off there.

Hate that stupid accent that a lot of Fox News journalists have. NY accent sounds awesome if you are a man. Standard English accent from UK is pretty cool, but once you go full Cockney it just sounds retarded, I like Scottish, Irish and Australian though, in a funny way of course

yeah its super unattractive when some girl is like "OH MY GAWD,LIKE"

that shit only works if your from ireland,not some guidette ginzo slut

It was natural and organic for me mostly...sometimes i was shocked in positive ways...it made me think that this is the way people back home should behave,but NYC is just so big and insane,theres no way we'd pull it off there.

NYC has changed a lot, but it will never be like Montreal...NY is unforgiving.
You live in Manhattan?

NYC has changed a lot, but it will never be like Montreal...NY is unforgiving.
You live in Manhattan?
fuck no,you think im made of money!?! haha
i lived in brooklyn mostly,but now i am in queens.

honestly...NYC is awesome as far as being unforgiving. Its just that personally,i am tired of it,after travelling to different places,i want to go somewhere else for awhile,maybe forever.

fuck no,you think im made of money!?! haha
i lived in brooklyn mostly,but now i am in queens.

Maybe,
honestly...NYC is awesome as far as being unforgiving. Its just that personally,i am tired of it,after travelling to different places,i want to go somewhere else for awhile,maybe forever.

I've lived in Brooklyn and Staten Island, and spent a few months in Manhattan a few years back, but I get tired of it too, it wears on you, the people, the noise...the noisey people lol

Being from India, and having family and friends from USA and Australia, my accent is all over the place. Its like a mix of the Indian Neutral and American mostly.

I've noticed I tend to pick up accents way too quickly and I have to keep myself in check. I was speaking to an Irish fella and suddenly I found myself calling his home country Oirland !! I was like 'NOOOO, STAHP', because I didn't want to come off as a jerk intentionally making fun of his accent. Excellent ppl though, the Irish, and love the accent too.

As for the standard American accent, I've heard it so much, its very normal sounding for me. The Italian American accent, the Southern accent, the ghetto accent all sound very different and interesting, but I wouldn't want to be using any of those unless it was to joke around. No offence intended.

One thing I hear is that I speak quickly, my girlfriend speaks even faster than I do. Southern Colorado (we speak a little or a lot of Spanish as well).
I've been to all but 2 states in the U.S.
Those being alska and hawiia. everyone seems to have an accent. Women seem to take it to extremes.
I don't normally make it a thing.
Everyone has an accent if you've never heard them speak.

Having spent quite a bit of time working on rigs north dakotans have crazy accents!

Do we have a standard one? There are so many different ones.
I'd consider the standard American accent Hollywood American. The one where a character isn't from anywhere in particular, culturally, as if the region of the country they're from isn't central to their character.

in america people tend to have immediate impressions on foreign accents. the english accent is often seen as gay and uptight and oftentimes sophisticated.

america has allot of variants when it comes to accents. some like the jersey and southern ones are pretty distinct.

but what about the standard everyday american accent? what do people think about it? is it romantic? music to the ears? funny? does it make you want to have it?

whats your favorite kind of american accent?

Your bog standard American accent sounds great in action movies; put an English accent in there, the limey accent sounds fake and gay.

A US accent in UK sounds obnoxious as fuck - hate it. So corny.

Love a southern accent (US); especially on a broad.

Southern accents are pretty badass in the right context. Other times, of course, it can sound like a retarded redneck.

Jewish-American accents are hilarious - think Larry David, Jewish movie actors/comedians.

These are my random thoughts, y'all.

Back