What division would make the best 8 man tournament - would this sell?

Streeter

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
IMO It's close between LW and WW. I would dedicate 4 PPV's. You got 2 really stacked divisions that as a semi hardcore fan I think would be fun as fuck to watch Grand Prix style.

The first 2 might not sell as much but I would still buy the fuck out of all 4. Am I alone in thinking this?

Disclaimer: I know neither Magny or Pettis would NOT technically deserve "title fights" but in this format I would have both as the 8th seed and the "easiest" for the #1 seed which is the champ.

have one PPV be

Alvarez - Pettis (title fight)
Kabib - Ceronne
Fergouson - Nate
Barboza - RDA
Brooks - Dustin ( for the right to replace an injured fighter of the 4 winners of the fight above)

next be

Woodley - Magny(title fight)
Wonderboy - Gast
Lawler - Rory III
Maia - Condit
Hendricks - Story ( right to replace injured winner)

3rd be
1LW - 4LW (title fight) ex. Alvarez - Barboza
1WW - 4WW (title fight) ex. Woodley - Maia
2LW - 3 LW ex. Khabib - Fergouson
2WW - 3WW ex. Wonderboy - Lawler
2 best losing LW's - for right to replace an injury in final - RDA - Ceronne II
top prelime - 2 best WW's for right to replace injury in final ex. Condit - Rory

the last one
The 2 LW and WW title fights with the best match ups possible from LW and WW to fill out the card.
Ex.
Barboza - Khabib
Wonderboy - Maia
Lawler - Woodley II
Fergouson - Alvarez
Nate - Ceronne

Terrible execution of a decent idea. No reason for a Grand Prix to include the Champion and no way in hell they should be getting easy defenses vs the lowest of the top 10 in their division. If you haven't cleared out the #1-7 contenders as champion then #8 doesn't get a shot.

I laid out an idea for a MW grand prix in the event that Hendo beats Bisping and walks off into the sunset with the MW title. I had the top 4 Luke, Chris, Yoel and Jacare given a bye into 2nd round. have 5-12 face off in round 1 with the winners going to round 2. 13-16 fight for spots as alternates. All these fights take place in one night (round 1 & 2)

Winners of round 2 face off in round 3 at the beginning of a PPV and winners face off in the Main Event.

I think WW & LW are ok for their future fights but if T-Wouldn't refused to fight Thompson and the UFC wanted to strip him I would love to see a Grand Prix. Perhaps an 8 man with Condit, Maia, Robbie, Thompson, Rory,Magny, Gastelum, Hendricks or Brown. Maybe have a few more as alternates.

I would love to watch it. I don't think the UFC is willing to give up their match making control by announcing a tournament with a bracket they. They prefer promising title shots to winners of fights sadly.

They could do this further down in the rankings at those stacked weights but then you basically have TUF.

Terrible execution of a decent idea. No reason for a Grand Prix to include the Champion and no way in hell they should be getting easy defenses vs the lowest of the top 10 in their division. If you haven't cleared out the #1-7 contenders as champion then #8 doesn't get a shot.

I laid out an idea for a MW grand prix in the event that Hendo beats Bisping and walks off into the sunset with the MW title. I had the top 4 Luke, Chris, Yoel and Jacare given a bye into 2nd round. have 5-12 face off in round 1 with the winners going to round 2. 13-16 fight for spots as alternates. All these fights take place in one night (round 1 & 2)

Winners of round 2 face off in round 3 at the beginning of a PPV and winners face off in the Main Event.

I think WW & LW are ok for their future fights but if T-Wouldn't refused to fight Thompson and the UFC wanted to strip him I would love to see a Grand Prix. Perhaps an 8 man with Condit, Maia, Robbie, Thompson, Rory,Magny, Gastelum, Hendricks or Brown. Maybe have a few more as alternates.
Did I read this wrong? You want the top four to be fresh against the winners from earlier in the night? That would be murder in the Octagon.

Titles should never be in the line in tournaments.

The tournament champion gets a permanent title, that's it.

For what it's worth, I think middleweight would be a great tournament.

Did I read this wrong? You want the top four to be fresh against the winners from earlier in the night? That would be murder in the Octagon.
Nope didn't read wrong. Pride Style Grand Prix. Top 4 each could argue they should just be fihgting for the belt. Round 1 fights are only 2 rounds with a "Sudden Victory" if tied after 2. the guys who are 5-12 are getting a path to a title shot but not an easy one.

155 pounds. Almost impossible to make a bad fight in the division even though the UFC has been trying their hardest to prove me wrong on that lol.

Lw most exciting and deepest and if you put nate and conor in it you get causal so it would sell

MW is solid but I think LW and WW are stacked. IMO LW and WW would make a GREAT fucking 4 PPV set up for a Gran Prix "like" tourney.

I agree giving the champs the lowest seed but IMO you have to give the champs the easiest route. You culd do it with or without making the title on the line each round as in the end the winner will have the belt regardless.

As a hardcore fan IMO this would be a hell of a thing to watch over the course of a year. The 1st 2 PPV's might not get the buys but IO the last 2 would be nice sellers - maybe not needle movers but definitley a treat for the real MMA fans.

Would love a Grand Prix. Especially since the champions in the WW and LW divisions are not the best in their divisions imo (no disrespect to them). Could also do the same for MW. Would be great to see the UFC try to mix things up. The best would have to fight the best, no more lobbying for money fights and holding up divisions.

MW

1. Bisping
2. Rockhold
3. Jacare
4. Weidman
5. Romero
6. Anderson
7. Mousasi
8. Henderson

1. Bisping vs 8. Henderson
3. Jacare vs 6. Anderson

2. Rockhold vs 7. Mousasi
4. Weidman vs 5. Romero

Would love a Grand Prix. Especially since the champions in the WW and LW divisions are not the best in their divisions imo (no disrespect to them). Could also do the same for MW. Would be great to see the UFC try to mix things up. The best would have to fight the best, no more lobbying for money fights and holding up divisions.
IMO the first 2 cards would do maybe 300K buys and 6-700K buys respectively then about 7-800K buys for the other 2. Thats pretty fuckign good when you have cards not with Conor or Rousey. For some reason Danas cranks out 4 -5 shitty cards a year when he could replace those with grand prixs

MW

1. Bisping
2. Rockhold
3. Jacare
4. Weidman
5. Romero
6. Anderson
7. Mousasi
8. Henderson

3. Jacare vs 6. Anderson

4. Weidman vs 5. Romero
your keyboard to Dana's eyes.

Bantamweight
you could do it with any of the divisions expect maybe LHW due to being too top heavy and Flyweight for just flat sucking ass other than MM. Like I said usually there are 4-5 shitty or semi shitty cards a year that could IMO be replaced with a grand prix or 2.

MW

1. Bisping
2. Rockhold
3. Jacare
4. Weidman
5. Romero
6. Anderson
7. Mousasi
8. Henderson

3. Jacare vs 6. Anderson

4. Weidman vs 5. Romero

I came here to say this... I would word it differently, but same exact story line haha.

Hendricks lost to Gastelum and therefore does not deserve a top 8 spot. Dong or Gunnar deserve that spot. Or Rick Story.

Henderson does not deserve a top 8 spot. Tim Kennedy or even Urijah Hall would do better.

Back