What did you guys expect to happen in the main event?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by PAPERCLIP30, Oct 10, 2013.

1. PAPERCLIP30

PAPERCLIP30 Silver Belt

Okay, we have 2 high level bjj guys going at it. We expected it to get on the ground at one point, and then what?

Everyone's saying Jake stalled while on top, but he was trying to pass the whole time and he was looking for subs. Maia was just good enough to not let it happen. Did you expect him to immediately mount Maia? Did you expect him to take his back and sub him quickly?

There two guys are good enough to basically cancel each other out. Neither was gonna sub the other one, and neither could sweep the other guy.

Was it the most exciting fight ever? Hell no. Far from it. But it was definitely interesting to see how these two would react against each other, and it pretty much went as expected. I'm sorry most of you can't appreciate the subtleties of bjj, but I definitely didn't hate the fight.

2. drewblood

drewblood hanging on with quiet desperation...

I expected Shields and Maia to fight for 5 rounds inside the Octagon, with lots of BJJ / Wrestling kinda stuff.

It was pretty much on point with my expectations. I got my money's worth. Thank you Uncle D.

3. skysolo

skysolo Silver Belt

I expected the same thing that always happens when two great grapplers face each other, they have a sloppy kickboxing match.

4. Emjay

Emjay And again and again and again and ag.. zzzzzzzz

People on Sherdog often fail to acknowledge that there are two guys in there fighting.

They assume the guy that's in the "dominant" position or the guy that they feel is "better" should just be able to have their way with the other guy as if he's fighting a grappling dummy.

5. milliniar

milliniar Who needs a belt?

I expected more control from maia. other than that I expected the fight we got

6. Viking Power

Viking Power Black Belt

I expected what we got. It wasn't terribly boring at all. There was a strategic battle going on the whole time.

Also, both guys should just never, ever try to strike again. They're both just plain terrible. Watching Jake throw those stiff-hipped kicks is just brutal! I wonder if that fight had the combined most missed kicks and punches in UFC history? No, wait that title probably goes to a fight that Matt Riddle was in...

7. Jonny Bones

Jonny Bones Purple Belt

Shields by decision cause of better wrestling and great top control

8. Blah4

Blah4 Purple Belt

Maia-Fitch repeat but a little less one-sided. I think Fitch has pretty crappy tdd but this was in Brazil and Shields hasnt looked great lately.

9. Aegon Spengler

Aegon Spengler Gold Belt

I expected something that looked like Fitch vs Maia. It was pretty clear jake was content to ride out a decison and that wasn't at all what we saw in other ground fights involving Damien.

10. Tsarcasmic

Tsarcasmic Blue Belt

Pretty much what happened.

11. Fantastic_Man

Fantastic_Man Brown Belt

I thought/hoped Maia via RNC. But I expected a close wrasslin match.. Oh well

12. Rainmaker

Rainmaker Purple Belt

Most people felt Maia would sub shields. Sherdog felt that way in their preview of the fights. I was first comment on there and people were telling me that they felt Maia would sub him as well. I wasn't sure who would win, but was sure that Maia wouldn't sub him.

13. Cosmahorio

Cosmahorio Brown Belt

It played out exactly how I predicted it.

The victor was interchangeable.