What did you do during sparring in your frst 5-10 lessons?

Learned ukemi.

No one does randori in my class until their ukemi is very good, which usually doesn't happen the first 5-10 classes.

When you stop asking questions, you stop learning. Keep that in mind.

got tapped out 1000 times by the same 3 or 4 subs i learn alot

No doubt. My first few weeks were almost exclusively spent tapping to the same basic armbars and chokes.

It was like clockwork regardless of who I rolled with:

1. They scissor sweep me to mount, let me flail around trying to escape for a minute, then armbar me

or

2. They arm drag me, take my back, let me flail around trying to escape for a minute, then RNC me.

I learned armbar from the guard, mount, kimura from the guard, the scissor sweep I think.

Here's my 2 cents about my experience in the beginning. I always make sure to be confident and humble when I roll. My very first time doing matwork an advanced whitebelt just took it to me. I got armbarred 3x, one after another. I just smiled, tapped, and kept going until I ran out of gas (about 5 minutes), at which point I gasped and said, "Hold on." He was in S-mount position, looked down at me and disgustedly asked, "Are you serious?"

I just replied that I had nothing to prove and needed to catch my breath. I took about 20 minutes rest while he rolled with someone else, and then asked to roll with him again for another few minutes.

My advice to you is to keep getting in there and pushing yourself. Even if you get tapped every single time for months on end you are still getting stronger. Your breathing, cardio, grip and overall knowledge on technique needs application over and over. Having said that, here are some things you might want to focus on;

1. Always grab something. Never leave your hands idle. Grab lapels, wrists, collars, anything - and work with it.
2. Never lie flat. Be active when in guard. You're not anchored to the mat.
3. Relax.
4. When you learn a technique use it - over and over. See if it works for you or if it just seems hard. I have short legs, so triangles are not my forte.
5. Attack something (threaten) constantly - arm, choke, sweep. Give your opponent something to always think about, even if you don't quite know how to finish.
6. Be careful about leaving one arm extended, with the other in. Best way to think in the beginning is "ARMS IN - YOU WIN" ---- have crocodile arms. Leave one extended and you're gonna get triangled or armbarred for sure.

Don't get frustrated about being controlled. Just keep getting mat time and ask questions constantly.

People should think about BJJ like piano lessons. Why get worked up about your "performance" during your first piano lessons? You can't even play a scale or a chord! Who cares how you do? It's the strangest thing. It's not like after 4 years of piano lessons you look back and shed a tear for how awesome or lame you were at week 3.

My advice is to (a) have fun; (b) stay safe; and (c) do whatever your instructor tells you to do.

I agree alot, my first few classes have been a humbling, learning experience.

I usually just try to avoid the submission and use my giraffe legs to triangle people.

Pull guard... get stuck... think "What the hell do I do now?"... hang on for dear life...
Get passed... get stuck... think "what the hell do I do now?"... hang on for dear life...
Get mounted... get stuck... think "what the hell do I do now?"... hang on for dear life... get subbed...

Repeat...

Try to defend but ultimately fail. Actually if i rolled with other beginners and they gave up 20 pounds i could actually get the rare kimura or rnc.

i think people sweat progress too much at the beginning. Just go and have fun. WHo cares how many times you tap...which for me was A LOT

pull guard and armbar. i almost had a 3rd stripe blue belt to add to my collection of blues and purples that i have a collection of because i had a super-secret guard that only i knew of as a white belt with barely any training. and i had a camcorder and a blog

You guys have it all wrong. He's growing as a BJJ player. He's still pulling guard, but now he's going for chokes!

From Jiu Jitsu Forums:

He told me to pick a new submission for each week, and work on it, since I win every single time with armbar or triangle, nothing else. I NEVER win with anything else anymore, just those two.

SOOO..... today I got on Jack's 100+ techniques, and went for a cross choke from guard:

This video was more focussed from mount, but I applied it from guard. WORKED LIKE A CHARM. Even my instructor smiled and said "good job mat", which makes me happy, because from the countless armbars and triangles I've done, I never really hear it. I guess he was happy to see me pull something new off.

I pulled it off twice on the same guy in a 5 minute roll. He's a 200 pound russian who has about 8 months or so total training under his belt, and a year or so of Sambo. He was not happy hahahahaha, since I roll with him A LOT, and he never saw it coming. He thought first time was a fluke, and he almost lost consciousness on the second one, thinking "i'm not letting him catch me again".

All in all, IM SUPER HAPPY that I've pulled it off. I plan to use it for a few days to come, and then pick a new technique. This should help my game progress a lot faster.

Just felt like sharing with you guys,

I also like that the Sambo guy had 8 months of total training but one year of Sambo...as if Sambo doesn't count in his total training.

Im new too, what I suggest is just get the dominant position and maintain it, if your opponent sweeps then reverse him or shrimp out and get back to dominant position. As you continue to learn you will surprise yourself when you get a dominant position and your first reaction is to go for an arm and you pull off an armbar or shoulderlock submission. After a week of classes I noticed that on occassion id pull off or attempt a sub when the week before I was in the same place you were, not knowing what to do. just dont let it discourage you because you can still learn alot just by pulling guard or getting dominant position, keep practicing and learning and the subs will come.

I just went for all the basic things that I was tought early on. Sweeps, guard passes, mount escapes. I also tapped a lot.

You guys have it all wrong. He's growing as a BJJ player. He's still pulling guard, but now he's going for chokes!

From Jiu Jitsu Forums:

He told me to pick a new submission for each week, and work on it, since I win every single time with armbar or triangle, nothing else. I NEVER win with anything else anymore, just those two.

SOOO..... today I got on Jack's 100+ techniques, and went for a cross choke from guard:

This video was more focussed from mount, but I applied it from guard. WORKED LIKE A CHARM. Even my instructor smiled and said "good job mat", which makes me happy, because from the countless armbars and triangles I've done, I never really hear it. I guess he was happy to see me pull something new off.

I pulled it off twice on the same guy in a 5 minute roll. He's a 200 pound russian who has about 8 months or so total training under his belt, and a year or so of Sambo. He was not happy hahahahaha, since I roll with him A LOT, and he never saw it coming. He thought first time was a fluke, and he almost lost consciousness on the second one, thinking "i'm not letting him catch me again".

All in all, IM SUPER HAPPY that I've pulled it off. I plan to use it for a few days to come, and then pick a new technique. This should help my game progress a lot faster.

Just felt like sharing with you guys,

I also like that the Sambo guy had 8 months of total training but one year of Sambo...as if Sambo doesn't count in his total training.

Comedy gold! :icon_chee

Back