Crime What did the cops do wrong today. Vol. 2

Not sure what is hard to believe. Seemed like a rather innocuous interaction to begin with, then when the guy picking up trash thought it was ridiculous the police officer started making up claims to try to get him to comply. This is what cops do when you don't comply; they try to force you to comply by whatever means possible.

That is a disgusting video, that SWS in blue should be suspended immediately

You shouldn't just be able to go around harassing working Folx left and right and keep your job as a public servant

Unless there is a backstory that he was threatening people with the thing he was using to pick up trash, that cop should have never even been talking to that guy. These videos piss me off because I know they are a very tiny portion of cop interactions, but these are the ones people remember snd think are representative of the profession

For every one story showing a cop doing bad things, there’s 100s of non stories of them doing the right thing.

humans aren’t perfect and even if 1% are pieces of shit, out of a few billion that’s a shit ton of people. We only hear about the bad ones because it’s what gets attention.

Obviously not defending bad cops but it’s pretty annoying how they get a bad rep when it’s few and far between.

I don't think I've ever had a particularly negative interaction with a police officer. I was detained once for being in the wrong place at the wrong time and matching the description of a suspect, but it was only a few minutes and the officers were very polite.

For every one story showing a cop doing bad things, there’s 100s of non stories of them doing the right thing.

humans aren’t perfect and even if 1% are pieces of shit, out of a few billion that’s a shit ton of people. We only hear about the bad ones because it’s what gets attention.

Obviously not defending bad cops but it’s pretty annoying how they get a bad rep when it’s few and far between.

all the so called good cops would have to do is rat out the shit cops and we would think differently about them. as it is they are all in it together and that makes them all shit.

all the so called good cops would have to do is rat out the shit cops and we would think differently about them. as it is they are all in it together and that makes them all shit.
Thats a union for you. Thats loyalty.
That’s why most politicians agree and defend their side to the end regardless if it’s the right or wrong thing to do.

they have a dangerous job as it is, the added stress and hate towards them doesn’t help anyone. Not sure what or if there really is a solution. Unless you’re a cop, you wouldn’t know what the day to day life and encounters truly are.

I don't disagree with you. 99% of all police interactions probably don’t end badly. The problem is with how the police departments handle that 1%. Bad cops get protected to no end, which inevitably creates a lot of public resentment and anger. That resentment eventually gets spilled over for all cops, and not just the bad ones.

If we could enact laws that actually punished bad cops, then I think people would begin to trust them and the system a lot more.

I think the main concern that most people have is the way other cops react to “bad apples”. In most professions, you see the good ones “weed out” the bad apples. If a teacher, or professor for that matter, is having a sexual relationship with a student, the rest of the department typically takes action against this person.

But police forces often (not always) try to protect these rejects from getting ousted by either assigning them to desk duty for awhile or hiding their transgressions entirely.

that kind of behavior is inherently immoral, and to see it within a profession that should pride itself on being a harbingers of justice and order…it leaves a bad taste in one’s mouth.

your last point is spot on: politicians are trash because they all act like this.
This guy resigned, was still getting paid by the tax payers of that area, and is now working about another department like nothing ever happened. I don't care if there's good cops and some are inevitably bad, a lack of pressure to change things like this will always make the police look like an occupying force more than anything else.

Unless there is a backstory that he was threatening people with the thing he was using to pick up trash, that cop should have never even been talking to that guy. These videos piss me off because I know they are a very tiny portion of cop interactions, but these are the ones people remember snd think are representative of the profession

There's talk in this thread regarding good cops not turning in the bad cops. maybe you have something to add to that discussion.

In a perfect world I think it would happen, but in the real one everyone hates a rat. Even in the VAST majority of entertainment media, Internal Affairs is the bad guy. IK can't imagine it would be easy to turn a corrupt brother in for being dirty, even if you should feel obligated to do so.

I don't disagree with you. 99% of all police interactions probably don’t end badly. The problem is with how the police departments handle that 1%. Bad cops get protected to no end, which inevitably creates a lot of public resentment and anger. That resentment eventually gets spilled over for all cops, and not just the bad ones.

If we could enact laws that actually punished bad cops, then I think people would begin to trust them and the system a lot more.
I agree it’s just so damn hard to enforce because of so many variables.
If you are a cop in a very dangerous city… you’re always on guard.

imagine walking out to do your job and people legit hate you and want to harm, or potentially kill you? It’s a serious mind fuck. It’s like being on a battleground everyday for however many years until you retire, and even then people may hate you.

It sucks when you hear about stories of people getting shot that didn’t have a weapon. 100% awful. But imagine being in that situation? You’re basically gambling with your life. Split second decisions need to be made. It’s fucking brutal.

I think if there was a dedicated news station that aired all the gang shit and evilness in the streets and saw what really happens, people’s perceptions would change greatly. Or imagine if people had to walk in their shoes and deal with their shit? They’d sing a different tune.

But for cops that are blantantly abusing their powers , that’s a fuck you to them.

There's talk in this thread regarding good cops not turning in the bad cops. maybe you have something to add to that discussion.

In a perfect world I think it would happen, but in the real one everyone hates a rat. Even in the VAST majority of entertainment media, Internal Affairs is the bad guy. IK can't imagine it would be easy to turn a corrupt brother in for being dirty, even if you should feel obligated to do so.
And it's probably tougher in situations like this where the guy isn't shooting his gun or throwing slurs around. If you have a guy who's inoffensive and plays dumb, you're probably always going to end up giving them the benefit of the doubt. You place yourself in their shoes, see a scenario where they're justified, then you're defensive because it "could have been you". It's not like you're babysitting the other officers and I doubt they're exchanging bodycam footage of every interaction.

But the way he called in the clamper as "some sort of blunt metal object" was clear manipulation to make the kid sound like a threat, at that point he had already been explained to what it was, even if he somehow had never seen one in his life. That's someone who is playing a game. The kind of guy who is extremely friendly with his coworkers because it covers him, and he might not even be conscious of that motivation. Reminds me of someone like ripskater, hateful soul but throw out some hollow niceties and a phobia of curse words and people are quick to buy whatever bullshit they throw out.

That's why it's important to call out videos like this when we see them. Make sure those officers don't hold a badge again. Instead of good apples protecting their communities, they're complicit in those who take advantage of their power over those communities. Whether it's driven by a power trip or racism, doesn't matter.

I reported a fellow officer for excessive force to my lieutenant but the man denied anything happened

I normally side with the officers about compliance but that video of the guy picking up trash was just disgusting. He was in no way suspicious much less committing a crime and the officer had no cause to demand anything of him. And I don't blame him for getting agitated with the cops either. Anyone with an iota of sense could see what he was doing and that 'metal object' is made from aluminum and plastic, you couldn't hurt anyone with one if you tried. Utter failure as a police officer, you never should've been given a badge if your judgement is that poor.

True story?

yup. I was working with an officer and we saw a man wanted for a front warranty he was just walking down the street. We stopped and before I am out of the car, my partner ran up and shoved the guy face first into a window from behind and is screaming at him. I ran up and shoved the officer aside and put cuffs on the guy and put him in the car. The officer starts yelling that I am new and don’t know this guy or how dangerous he is. The guy had a cut on his forehead snd a bloody nose. I reported it to the Lt and the man said that he fell because he is drunk. I told the man that I saw what happened and it was ok to tell the Lt and he refused.

I was not called a rat or anything like that-everyone knew this cop was dirty and no one ever wanted to work with him because of shit like this and I got stuck with him because I was new

yup. I was working with an officer and we saw a man wanted for a front warranty he was just walking down the street. We stopped and before I am out of the car, my partner ran up and shoved the guy face first into a window from behind and is screaming at him. I ran up and shoved the officer aside and put cuffs on the guy and put him in the car. The officer starts yelling that I am new and don’t know this guy or how dangerous he is. The guy had a cut on his forehead snd a bloody nose. I reported it to the Lt and the man said that he fell because he is drunk. I told the man that I saw what happened and it was ok to tell the Lt and he refused.

I was not called a rat or anything like that-everyone knew this cop was dirty and no one ever wanted to work with him because of shit like this and I got stuck with him because I was new

Wow that's crazy.

Wow that's crazy.

I told the Lt I never wanted to work with him again. Unfortunately, it happened one more time and it was almost worse. He was dating a crackhead and she broke into his house and his neighbor called him. He drove 120 mph with me white-knuckled in the passenger seat screaming at him to slow the fuck down. Even the sergeant checked on us and told us we shouldn’t respond. I wanted to kick his ass so bad. He was fired not long after that.

I enjoy watching 1st amendment audits because they put on full display poor training and top-down leadership failure. Some might say these audits are petty but I think it's a highly effective way to reveal and correct poor police behavior. After all, if the police don't know or don't care about basic laws like ID, private/public property trespass, filming in public, and press movement, how can they be tasked to enforce more complex situations? Poor training and general ineptitude is an epidemic in policing and it typically starts from a commanding officer and trickles down. The video above is framed in a way to make it in part about race but I think it's more widescale than an issue of discrimination. Too many law enforcement officers do not know enough about law, and when challenged, escalate regardless of the validity of their interaction.

Amagansett press on YouTube has some great videos. He generally does his filming in Post Offices. It shows how a lot of citizens, postal employees and police officers are just idiots or trying to impose power over others. He will show the cops on the post office bulletin board where is says he is allowed to film and they will still argue that he cannot.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AmagansettPress

Reactions: MTT
Back