What did happen to paul williams ?

T

Too $hort

I read glassjaws sig,I dont think people should write him off but really WTF!!,I mean the last fight I watched of him was amazing.Paul was out throwing and beating a big strong good welterweight named antonio margarito,when I saw the quintana fight I had a very hard time beleiving that it was the same guy who beat margarito.

I just dont get it ,he didint look at all like the fighter I watched beat margarito IMO margarito would trash quintana.I wasent a big williams supporter but I did like him and
thought he could be very good,I cant exsplain his perfromance,he didint use is freaky long jab and his punch output was no where near his normal.I didint see him trying to box and his energy was just not their almost like he was a different person,very odd.

I dont think this fight was a work and I'm not trying to say that but paul was acting like someone who is taking a dive or something,regardless it was very weird to watch and it felt like it was a different person,he really looked bad and I wonder if their is something going on with him,drugs or personal problems

I read glassjaws sig,I dont think people should write him off but really WTF!!,I mean the last fight I watched of him was amazing.Paul was out throwing and beating a big strong good welterweight named antonio margarito,when I saw the quintana fight I had a very hard time beleiving that it was the same guy who beat margarito.

I just dont get it ,he didint look at all like the fighter I watched beat margarito IMO margarito would trash quintana.I wasent a big williams supporter but I did like him and
thought he could be very good,I cant exsplain his perfromance,he didint use is freaky long jab and his punch output was no where near his normal.I didint see him trying to box and his energy was just not their almost like he was a different person,very odd.

I dont think this fight was a work and I'm trying to say that but paul was acting like someone who is taking a dive or something,regardless it was very weird to watch and it felt like it was a different person,he really looked bad and I wonder if their is something going on with him,drugs or personal problems

Styles make fights.......its that simple.

Styles make fights.......its that simple.
your very right on that but that dosent exsplain away the lack of punch output and boxing seen from williams,I honestly dont see how quintanas style would give williams alot of problems.IMO quintana was wideopen and sloppy alot of times,oddly williams did not use his height at all he kind of lead with his head wich dosent make any sense.all willams had to do was sit back and use his jab and pick him apart. your right styles make fights but in this case I dont think its that simple.

Paul seemed uninspired as opposed to Quintana who was fighting for his career. I could see Paul feeling a bit let down after going head-to-head with Margarito then fights Quintana as a reward. Paul still has a lot to give and I think a serious, focused Paul would take care of Quintana.

And MMA/boxing math doesn't work. Paul may have beat Margarito and Margarito may have trashed Quintana. It doesn't mean Paul should walk through Quintana even if it seems the most likely scenario. As another poster said, styles make fights. Fight math doesn't work and I saw nothing fishy with this fight. I saw an overconfident and uninspired Williams who came of sloppy and almost amateurish lose to a live and underestimated opponent who came to fight.

He isn't gonna' throw 100 punches a round if Quintana keeps tagging him...

to me it was a masterful performance by quintana, he moved when williams got set to punch and tagged him enough to make him think twice, throw in those factors and it's easy to see how he lost.

he'll probably lose the rematch as well.

I think Paul was upset about not fighting a bigger name and maybe overlooked Quintana a little bit.

Quintana treated it like the fight of his life.

When Paul walked back to his corner after Round 2 his body language was WTF is going on.

Agreed. Williams didn't look too motivated in the fight. Sure he was getting hit by the slicker Quintana, but Quintana was really pushing Paul around.

It could just be an off night. It happens. Another possibility is that Williams is just growing out of the welter weight limit. he made 147, and then blew up to 165 the NEXT night. That aint healthy...

to me it was a masterful performance by quintana, he moved when williams got set to punch and tagged him enough to make him think twice, throw in those factors and it's easy to see how he lost.

he'll probably lose the rematch as well.
I would not call that masterfull performance he looked sloppy alot of the times and was wide open at times.I give him props for fighing a good fight but he didint look that good and paul looked very bad.

It could be alot of things. Quintana is a slick southpaw, or maybe Paul just overlooked him. Has Paul faced alot of southpaws? I don't think he has any amateur experience either.

I'm still a big fan, but I'm not disappointed that Quintana won. Paul is getting a rematch, and I'm sure he won't make the same mistake twice.

It was obvious Williams can't fight without setting down on his punches. Distance isn't his friend; he's far too physically ponderous. There was A LOT of talk around here of Williams keeping Mayweather at a distance and slapping his way to a decision win. Quintana did well; he looked okay. Both Mayweather and Cotto KO Williams.

I couldn't really get why people were so hot for Williams honestly. I guess its true what they say, youre as good as your last fight and beating an unentusiastic MArgarito had people calling Williams the guy to beat Mayweather.

A feather fisted busy fighter will eventually be exposed.

I wish Paul Williams was British so I could really hate. Sometimes, it seems like my heart just isn't in it. Stupid South Carolinans.

people where stoked on paul williams because he's a tall, lanky, southpaw with a high workrate. Who wouldn't be stokked on that? Problem is that he's built like Tommy Hearns but punches like he's Paulie Malignaggi. If Williams had a straight left like Tommy's straight right, then Paul would have a much better career and fame. Anyway didn't he get paid like $900,000 for the Quintana fight?

Hell, I myself was even saying that I though that he could beat Floyd. He probably simply overlooked Quintana and didn't take him too seriously. I wouldn't mind seeing a rematch, but he better get his head in the game.

Back