What did everyone make of my boy Islam Mamedov

Sanchez has been my boy for a while. Not so much as titans like Gareth or Liz but up there.

Btw you missed out generic hispanic fighter with a 2-4 record #48 from combate who we're all fans of
Yes, I've been a fan of Sanchez for a while, too but I agree, Gareth A Davies and Liz Carmouche are head and shoulders above everyone else, they are on a different level. McClaren has a dedicated fan base of 3 guys so he gets some love, too. Sanchez, Cupcake, McClaren, and generic hispanic fighter with losing record can only aspire to #3, though.

I thought he lost the first 2 rounds, he did almost nothing but defend submission attempts after getting a takedown in the first 2 rounds. Judges still don't seem to understand the judging criteria even after they rewrote it so they don't score top position so much. At least one judge got it right though.

I wish they would review judges scores more often and if they get it wrong too much based on the judging criteria they should be suspended till they get retrained.

Last edited:
Primus went out there to fight and Mamedov turned into a hugfest. I feel bad for Primus but he also should have concentrated more on getting back up rather than keep telegraphing omoplatas.
Primus has that tendency to trust his BJJ too much on the bottom. He did the same in the Chandler rematch and got wrestlefucked all fight

I'm going to defend Mamedov in some sense.

I think he outlanded Primus. None of them landed hard shots obviously because they were like, pitter patter from guard, but I think he had greater volume. In a fight that's hard to score, volume matters. People say he was defending subs and it's true. I think for me, it's really hard to quantify the value of an unsuccessful sub attempt. An unsuccessful sub is similar to a punch that misses, or a kick that misses, or a failed takedown attempt. If you don't finish a sub...usually there's not much damage. Like case by case matters, if it's super deep and it's cranking and maybe some muscles or joints are being stretched, or someone's neck is being constricted or cranked for a long period of time, yes there is some damage, but by and large, failed sub attempts have little impact on the defending fighter, and tire out the person going for them. I recognize the need to award credit for failed sub attempts because if we didn't, no one would go for subs. That being said, for failed subs I probably award minimal credit, unless they got very deep or seemed to be generating a lot of pressure, as most simply don't do anything intelligible to the fighter being attacked.

Primus is also unquestionably a much better fighter than Manny Muro, not that Mamedov's performance would have looked different in terms of what he would have attempted to do if he was fighting Muro, but he would have unquestionably controlled him easily and perhaps gotten a submission. So I think, he earned himself no fans, but he also unquestionably faced a stiffer test than Muro, Quiroz, Carey.

How’s he win that? Horrible judging

Reminds me little bit of Goiti last fight, was on bottom with constant submission attacks but lost since opponent was on top doing nothing but defending

Back