What country are you in, how do people feel about Syrian refugees and where are things going?

Germany, I'm a student, and in my university the left dominates, however there is a lot of conservative and libertarians who don't voice their opinions because of fear of being labelled racist or worst a Nazi. I'm a supporter of AFD myself, as long as they don't go further in the right spectrum.

I don't think people around the world fully realize this. There is a lot of unvoiced conservative / nationalist sentiment that exists in Germany. It's just suppressed due to the countries history and the likelihood of being labelled a Nazi etc.

The AFD (Alternative for Germany) has gained a ton of traction in a short amount of time and if attacks continue in Germany you can expect that to only grow more.

I am a German but I live in Thailand for around 8 years now.
People here in Thailand dont really care about ISIS or Syrians they have their own issues. There is an ongoing Islamic Insurgency going on in South Thailand, which is surprisingly underrepresented considering more than 6500 people were killed since 2001.
Anyway Thailand also has their own refugee from Burma and other countries.

Its currently mostly a western issue, countries in Asia seem to have their own stuff going on. You hear about it but its not a big concern.
Cheers for sharing a unique perspective from Asia, Snake.

I've read interesting articles on the Japanese approach to society that touched on national pride, homogeneity, culture and immigration. How the West is received from outside of it is something I have hoped would be appealed to more from within it.

I feel no remorse if we didn't let these religious nut bags into a modernized western value country.

Especially when it's single young men. No one needs that religious bullshit in their country

Wut?

Most of them haven't even left their asylum housing yet.
Who needs housing when in Nordic they just seem to arrive, register, ask for benefit and disappear into the night...strange doctors and lawyers, these lot are.

I live in Canada, and the new government has taken in many Syrian families. So there's been a small influx of Syrian migrants to where I live. Overall they seem like nice people. I volunteer at a Bike Co-op and we've committed to helping provide bikes for refugees, so I've actually interacted with them a lot (mostly kids under 18 and some of their parents). Most of them are nice, save a few of the young boys who act like total dickheads. The language barrier is definitely real though, especially for the parents. Most of the kids are adapting incredibly quickly though, it's almost startling how fast they learn the language and customs.

Outside of the conservative internet talk circles, I've never head a single person in real life complain about Syrian refugees here.

America.

I think they should stay and fight for their homeland, people and freedom.

I also don't think that muslim and western cultures can even function along together, let alone future assimilation...

I'm honestly in favor of just not taking in any.
I believe we have have citizens of our own nation that require intense care and support that don't get it, so why should someone from literally halfway around the globe.
Most of the people around me, coworkers etc, are clueless about the wars, and the refugee crisis. People are vegetables who don't even watch the msm news these days.
Canada.

Pretty much exactly how I feel.

They can go to big cities and make all the slums they want. Fuck it.

But really I would like to invite intelligent, educated people to the USA and fuck-all-hell with everyone else. You wanna get in here? Show us you have value or burgeoning potential. And don't give me this apple picking bullshit. We have plenty of people already who can do that.

Wut?

Most of them haven't even left their asylum housing yet.

You're from Sweden right?

http://www.ugebreveta4.dk/syriske-flygtninge-braender-for-at-blive-en-del-af-da_20113.aspx
http://www.b.dk/nationalt/eksperter-efter-ny-undersoegelse-syriske-flygtninge-er-veluddannede

Around 15% are in job from the recent refugee waves (post 2013):
http://www.da.dk/bilag/Ikke-vestlige indvandrere og arbejdsmarkedet 2015.pdf (page 76)

And around the same are taking an education (page 75).

But of course, they are refugees. Traumatised by war and terror, and probably a horrible and traumatic trip. So of course I take that into consideration when I say that they are doing well.

They? U.S.A. and U.K. play with matches and start fires while the other some 40 countries making up the West are aflame from it; yet, all is just, yes?

Well, let's not pretend those 40 other countries don't benefit from the US and UK doing those things. Of course they're facing backlash for it, too, because there's no such thing as a free ride, karmically speaking.

The US and to a lesser extent UK spend enormous amounts of money and effort making sure the world works in a way favorable to them, economically speaking. Think about how complex geopolitics is; shipping routes in every remote corner of the globe, for example, have to function properly, and they have to function in a way favorable to us and our allies. The US ensures that, and as a result, the US and the West get richer. We have favorable trade relations with you guys to ensure we both get richer.

The US is pretty much the West's army: you guys don't have much of a say in what it does, but it acts in your general interests 9 times out of 10. A prosperous America means a prosperous Europe, and an unhealthy Europe is an unhealthy America. We either both eat or we both starve. It seems a bit naive to me when Europeans get annoyed at American meddling but enjoy the fruits of that meddling.

I'm in Calgary, Canada and haven't seen any impact from Syrian refugees. In all honesty the only thing I read about them was a fundraiser they set up to help out the victims of the Fort McMurray forest fires. I thought that was cool.

My family in Europe have felt minimal impact from Syrian refugees as well. The complete opposite is true of migrants, which make up the vast majority of people flooding into Europe.

The way Canada has handled its Syrian refugees is a disgrace and I don't see it as anything but a reckless vanity project for the Liberals. The most vulnerable people in the region were ignored, 25000 Arabic speakers were rushed through the interview process, dumped into completely overburdened programs, currently racking up multimillion dollar hotel bills across the county, already living off of food banks, and so on. That's the cycle of brainless Liberals and heartless Conservatives, I suppose.

It seems like the Trudeau governments only plan was to rush in 25,000 Syrians (what was the hurry?) and then hope things would somehow magically work out. Unfortunately, things are not going very smoothly as you have already mentioned. All of the assimilation programs are struggling and there is not enough living quarters available for the Syrians which means incredibly high hotel bills. This diversity scheme has been a costly disaster.

Canada

I'm generally opposed to accepting Syrian refugees, except in selected cases. I view this matter in terms of how new immigrants can assimilate into Canadian society and what they can bring to the table. Most of these refugees have no employable skill, which will limit them to menial jobs. Lack of job prospect will also increase crime rate, welfare claim rate and possibility of being radicalized. We already have enough trouble with radicalized second generation immigrants, with hundreds of them going to fight jihad worldwide. We don't need more potential security risks.

Furthermore, their religious values is fundamentally incompatible with the Western worlds. The notions of gender equality, acceptance for LGBT and tolerance of other religion/culture are just not there. If a Muslim do have those values, then he's really disobeying the teachings of Quaran and Hadith. Unless they have very sought after skills (i.e. doctors and engineers), they can claim asylum in a country closer to their homeland.

Last edited:
Well, let's not pretend those 40 other countries don't benefit from the US and UK doing those things. Of course they're facing backlash for it, too, because there's no such thing as a free ride, karmically speaking.

The US and to a lesser extent UK spend enormous amounts of money and effort making sure the world works in a way favorable to them, economically speaking. Think about how complex geopolitics is; shipping routes in every remote corner of the globe, for example, have to function properly, and they have to function in a way favorable to us and our allies. The US ensures that, and as a result, the US and the West get richer. We have favorable trade relations with you guys to ensure we both get richer.

The US is pretty much the West's army: you guys don't have much of a say in what it does, but it acts in your general interests 9 times out of 10. A prosperous America means a prosperous Europe, and an unhealthy Europe is an unhealthy America. We either both eat or we both starve. It seems a bit naive to me when Europeans get annoyed at American meddling but enjoy the fruits of that meddling.

Good post, RKD; big picture, I agree. No nation, an island...

Meaning as I was however only on the current landscape of the Middle East, what socio-economic benefits trickled down from U.S.A. or U.K. to Nordic peoples which have their origin(s) in the 2003 invasion of Iraq for fictional WMDs, or the continued, 13-year-strong foreign operations and presence in the region?

Because the only export I see is death, destruction and degradation of quality of Western life.

The Anglo-American dynasty-families and their doings as well as relations with foreign leaders behind closed doors serve their ends without much other than collateral damage passing on to the greater hemisphere of their nations.

I want to learn more, but I see only private gain at the expense of half the globe, mate.

The U.S., for example, has overwhelming energy resources, so don't come at me with contentions of oil. Private gains...all of it - banking élites, premiers, Patrizier etc. - and back to my original post, guess who's paying the bill? Finns, my Swedish brothers and sisters, Canadian and German cousins...all of us.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-biggest-oil-producer-after-overtaking-saudi

In BC canada recently there have been latin migrants coming in from Colombia, Venezuela, peru etc. Decades ago the refugees coming in was the persians. The youth of those refugees did cause trouble for a few years in the late 90s. The new generation have all but assimilated so things have not escalated here. The people coming in though are so small in contrast to what germany allowed in its borders.

We don't have Syrian refugees. The last family of Syrians I heard about trying to apply for asylum here were told that their asylum request was unfounded because their home country was "stable" and were sent off.
We have lots of Somalian refugees. Every few years the local poor try to purge immigrants.

Opinion's pretty divided on the migrant crisis in Europe. But not many people really have much awareness of the Syrian refugee situation.

Opinion's pretty divided on the migrant crisis in Europe. But not many people really have much awareness of the Syrian refugee situation.

Is the division of opinion drawn along ethno-racial lines perchance? (Honest question; never been to South Afrika myself)

Is the division of opinion drawn along ethno-racial lines perchance? (Honest question; never been to South Afrika myself)

Not really. Interest in the story at all is, though. Non-whites don't care at all.

In my experience, at least.

Peru.

Nobody here thinks about them long enough to have an opinion about them.

We already have enough poor people.

Back