What changed your mind about Religion?

This is where the rigidty of ancient thousands year old bullshit really hampers them. They get stuck.

To be fair, if the Bible actually holds the words of God then it doesn't matter how old it is. I've seen the "Ohhhh it's so OOOLLLDDDD!" argument before and it's really the wrong argument to make because truth has no expiration date.

I think it helps to be around good people. positive examples. If there is a lack of that,i can see how a book can help them become a better person,but how far do you take that? Arent those people hungry for knowledge? to see the big picture? If this helped them why not go further? It is clearly not the only way to live life. But ive always felt that i am more curious than the average person in that regard. People just skimming the surface of life. Im sure there are people who are way more devoted to that than i am who would think the same about me.

In the Bible there's a passage where Paul says, "Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial."

I believe that it's good to dive into life but some experiences aren't worth having.

never date a muslim and/or former muslim

there is my anti-pc post of the day

Even it's views on homosexuality are subject to interpretation, especially when considering the cultural climate in which certain things were written.

And that's really the thing about Christianity, it's almost hard to discuss it as a unified entity because there are so many groups with so many different interpretations of the Bible and what it means to be Christian.

For instance, many Episcopal churches are totally supportive of gay individuals and feel that their supported is fully consistent with the message of the Bible.
The acceptance of some christian churches of homosexuals is only a recent phenomenon. Still it's only some churches mind you. All those good virtues you posted in your other post are things that you can follow without christianity. There are many people in the world of other religions or no religion at all that follow said views. Another problem I have with christianity, besides its views on homosexuality, is the habit of the bible to contradict itself.

3c7e4890bbf2c0f0ce4fa7cae0cda011.jpg

In the Bible there's a passage where Paul says, "Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial."

I believe that it's good to dive into life but some experiences aren't worth having.
they dont want people straying too far from their way. And what do they know what is beneficial and what isnt? :D

22213.jpg.png

i went to a catholic highschool from year 7-12. but i never ever followed religion, and i am definitely not religious by any means.

i wear a cross ironically on a necklace, but this holds much more sentimental value to me as my mother got it for me for christmas when i was 15.

When I was little my parents took me to church, but I hated it. Too much singing, standing, and kneeling (Roman Catholic). At some point, I got the idea in my head that every week you go to church, the priest reads a chapter out of the Bible. You start with the Book of Genesis, then read a little bit every week until you get to the end. I thought that when you reached the end of the Bible, you didn't have to go anymore. So I suddenly decided I wanted to go to church, "To get it over with."

When I realized church didn't work that way, and it was a lifelong thing, I suddenly found other things I'd rather be doing on my Sundays.

I did enjoy the orange juice and donuts after Mass, however.

Random memory: I thought people attending their first communion and receiving the body and blood of Christ were drinking kool-aid and eating potato chips. I kept bugging my parents about wanting some for myself but they wouldn't let me haha.

The acceptance of some christian churches of homosexuals is only a recent phenomenon. Still it's only some churches mind you.

Really, the question comes down to this: Would Jesus condemn someone for being gay? It's not a simple answer, because Jesus really didn't talk about that particular issue.

But if the answer is no, then condemning homosexuals is not an authentic part of the Christian lifestyle.

All those good virtues you posted in your other post are things that you can follow without christianity. There are many people in the world of other religions or no religion at all that follow said views.

Sure. Like I said earlier, some people are just born as gentle souls and they naturally do good in the world.

But I personally think it can be good to have a code, if you will, an actual documented system of moral living that can keep a person on track. Because people making up their own rules as they go has its downside.

I have always envied the knights of the middle ages because they had the romantic code of chivalry to guide them.

Another problem I have with christianity, besides its views on homosexuality, is the habit of the bible to contradict itself.

Well this comes down to how the Bible should be interpreted. Was the story of Adam and Eve, for instance, ever meant to be interpreted literally or was it always meant to be viewed as an allegory? I think that, today, we often misinterpret the Bible because we don't understand the author's original intentions.

Grew up Catholic. Gave up on it after the whole pedophilia thing. The church even relocated one of the poedophiles to our grade school. Kindergarten to 8th grade. Fuck the Catholic Church.

Really, the question comes down to this: Would Jesus condemn someone for being gay? It's not a simple answer, because Jesus really didn't talk about that particular issue.

But if the answer is no, then condemning homosexuals is not an authentic part of the Christian lifestyle.

Sure. Like I said earlier, some people are just born as gentle souls and they naturally do good in the world.

But I personally think it can be good to have a code, if you will, an actual documented system of moral living that can keep a person on track. Because people making up their own rules as they go has its downside.

I have always envied the knights of the middle ages because they had the romantic code of chivalry to guide them.

Well this comes down to how the Bible should be interpreted. Was the story of Adam and Eve, for instance, ever meant to be interpreted literally or was it always meant to be viewed as an allegory? I think that, today, we often misinterpret the Bible because we don't understand the author's original intentions.

at some point,i got to a realization that i didnt want to be led,i didnt want to fulfil a simple function and follw a guideline of rules. the only thing i try to do is not to do something to someone that i wouldnt want done to me,and thats basically it. That i set for myself.there are new challenges every day and its good to study what others might do and decide,for yourself,what is best. A code,thats too simple,too easy. It may not be who you really are,and you may realize its not who you want to be either.

at some point,i got to a realization that i didnt want to be led,i didnt want to fulfil a simple function and follw a guideline of rules. the only thing i try to do is not to do something to someone that i wouldnt want done yo me,and thats basically it. there are new challenges every day and its good to study what others might do and decide,for yourself,what is best. A code,thats too simple,too easy. It may not be who you really are,and you may realize its not who you want to be either.

First off, don't forget that a code is the only thing that kept Dexter from killing indiscriminately. Sometimes we actually need to be reined in from the person that we really are.

In regard to the rest of your statement, I'll quote something: "In serving each other, we become free." That's the inscription on King Arthur's roundtable, which the knights of the roundtable lived by. I feel like there's a lot of truth there. Sometimes the best way to peace and fulfillment is in service to something greater than ourselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you believe in Karma?

I used to be a militant atheist but after watching how much religion helped ease my dad's suffering before he died I eased up. Always thought it to be a load of horseshit and can't believe in the people that actually believe in it. Still atheist btw
have never been militant about it,maybe because the UK isn't anywhere near as religious as the US,i also see the comfort faith brings to people {mainly parents and older relatives}
Age, the older I got and the more I experienced life the less religious I became.
Born Jewish, pretty agnostic/atheist now
pretty much similar,born and raised Catholic,served on the altar,older I got,the more it became a pile of steaming horseshit to me.

Born and raised an atheist, and is still an atheist, so my fundamental view hasn't changed at any point in my life.

That said, taking a Masters focusing on early Christianity has naturally shaped both how I view religion in general and Christianity specifically a great deal, but it's still 100% an outsider perspective.

I went from militant atheist to agnostic theist (i guess).

After being in some tough life situations i realized that faith/hope is all i got, its the only foundation one got left to stand on when everything falls apart.

EDIT: I am not religious though.

Last edited:
I remember going to church as a kid and some of those churches should've had kids not allowed signs. I have no ideal why people think it's a good ideal to preach fire and brimstone sermons and have people start speaking in tongues and flopping around on the floor. All that shit did was freak me out finally my mom got tired of the shit and told my stepdad at the time that his folks were batshit crazy and to keep them away. Fast forward a few years and my grandma passed away and a preacher (family member) that usually did all the funeral services refused to do hers because she got cremated. Then when my grandpa died a couple months later he spent the whole time talking about how much more lucky my grandpa was now to be dead and how atleast he got to live a full life unlike the people in New York on 9/11 and blah blah blah I had to walk out of the room. After that I really started to dislike religion not the people that follow it just religion and the shit it makes people do in it's name.

Getting older and seeing how the world works. Seeing how much randomness and suffering their is.

Studying and learning about science and basically figuring out that the holy books of the world were essentially written by cavemen.

Learning how evolution works and how life works in a natural system, and realizing that morality doesn't exist in nature, or really exist at all. It's just a concept invented by humanity.

Lots of different.things basically.

That's if tho. The Bible speaks against homosexuality but Jesus never mentions it. I like to believe the Jesus I knew when I was a Christian would not.

Some christians take Adam and Eves story literally some don't. When it comes to the authors original intentions for the Bible you have to figure which author because there's many authors and many books and even books lefts out.

Back