What changed your mind about Religion?

For those who don't like or have a religion - what do you think? Do you think there's a universal intelligence? I believe in a higher power personally, but haven't been to a place of worship that I belonged to in over 20 years.
I think we arent meant to know too much about it. Existence is bigger than we could ever know,we get this lifetime to experience as much as we can and let it shape us and guide us.Take what works,discard the rest.

I think its very healthy to ask questions...it could be path to somewhere else,sometimes people are on a different path,but searching for the same thing.

One thing that really draws me back to Christianity is that if everyone were to live according to basic Christian principles then the world would be a better place. People would treat strangers with kindness, would regard their wives and husbands with affection, would raise their children to be good citizens, and would be honest in their dealings with others. So it's like, even if it's all bullshit in terms of the supernatural aspects, it offers a good moral code to live by.

But I'm not totally certain that the supernatural aspects are bullshit. I certainly suspect they might be, but it does make sense to me that there could be a creator God and that that God would want some kind of relationship with his creatures.

For those who don't like or have a religion - what do you think? Do you think there's a universal intelligence? I believe in a higher power personally, but haven't been to a place of worship that I belonged to in over 20 years.
This idea has gone thru my head several times. Maybe we were created by a higher power that has no idea it even created us.

One thing that really draws me back to Christianity is that if everyone were to live according to basic Christian principles then the world would be a better place. People would treat strangers with kindness, would regard their wives and husbands with affection, would raise their children to be good citizens, and would be honest in their dealings with others. So it's like, even if it's all bullshit in terms of the supernatural aspects, it offers a good moral code to live by.

But I'm not totally certain that the supernatural aspects are bullshit. I certainly suspect they might be, but it does make sense to me that there could be a creator God and that that God would want some kind of relationship with his creatures.

This is where we differ...i think there are beautiful wild independent souls who dont conform to a code of any kind. There will always be a monkey wrench,someone who will figure out how things work and stir shit up.

I went to a Catholic school. I don't know when I stopped believing. Was probably 10 or 11. Just didn't make much sense.

The word God has kind of become tainted,through my eyes. Its hard not to think of a know it all bearded guy....that is the most unappealing shit ever.

This idea has gone thru my head several times. Maybe we were created by a higher power that has no idea it even created us.
Yeah- try wrapping your mind around that one after a few hits off the bong!

This is where we differ...i think there are beautiful wild independent souls who dont conform to a code of any kind. There will always be a monkey wrench,someone who will figure out how things work and stir shit up.

I think that, in general, humans have an asshole nature. Sure, there are people out there who are naturally good, but there are certainly many more who need guidance.

I can't tell you how many stories I've heard about people who were living asshole lives and didn't give a fuck about anyone but themselves until they found religion. For them, it changed everything.

The Bible talks about being "born again" and these people truly were.

I've never been religious and I'm still not. Over the years though I've come to appreciate Christianity and I'm worried about its decline

I think we arent meant to know too much about it. Existence is bigger than we could ever know,we get this lifetime to experience as much as we can and let it shape us and guide us.Take what works,discard the rest.
Existence is infinite - like the universe - no beginning and no end. We cant really comprehend it, so we try to use what we do know, to try to make sense of it. I just think that theres too much organization in the universe for everything to be random.

looking back at those days filled with banal activities (mass, confession, bible study, etc.), i believe the only aspect of religion that truly struck me was the concept of hell, and even then it didn't last too long, for i started to empathize with the world and began to think rationally about what the priests were telling us. i found it odd, too, that with such hard times behind us, and more struggle to come, the people of the church seemed to be having a great life. . . my parents stopped making my brother and i go to church when the priest advocated his parishioners vote for george w. bush. i, however, had already stopped believing, so it was fine by me.

today, i consider myself agnostic. nothing i have read has destroyed my agnosticism, and i read a lot, so i don't know if that will change in the future. enjoy reading your stories, thanks for the morning read. @HHJ

I've never been religious and I'm still not. Over the years though I've come to appreciate Christianity and I'm worried about its decline
..due to Islam?

..due to Islam?

200w.gif

Well for sure no one wants to be bothered by zealouts flouting a religion even more restrictive than xtianity.

There are certain aspects I like about christianity but it does have its faults for example it's views on homosexuality.

I think that, in general, humans have an asshole nature. Sure, there are people out there who are naturally good, but there are certainly many more who need guidance.

I can't tell you how many stories I've heard about people who were living asshole lives and didn't give a fuck about anyone but themselves until they found religion. For them, it changed everything.

The Bible talks about being "born again" and these people truly were.

I think it helps to be around good people. positive examples. If there is a lack of that,i can see how a book can help them become a better person,but how far do you take that? Arent those people hungry for knowledge? to see the big picture? If this helped them why not go further? It is clearly not the only way to live life. But ive always felt that i am more curious than the average person in that regard. People just skimming the surface of life. Im sure there are people who are way more devoted to that than i am who would think the same about me.

There are certain aspects I like about christianity but it does have its faults for example it's views on homosexuality.

This is where the rigidty of ancient thousands year old bullshit really hampers them. They get stuck.

Even it's views on homosexuality are subject to interpretation, especially when considering the cultural climate in which certain things were written.

And that's really the thing about Christianity, it's almost hard to discuss it as a unified entity because there are so many groups with so many different interpretations of the Bible and what it means to be Christian.

For instance, many Episcopal churches are totally supportive of gay individuals and feel that their supported is fully consistent with the message of the Bible.

Back