What changed your mind about Religion?

HHJ

Herbs to Curbs
@plutonium
Reaction score
Where you raised in religion,or did you pick it up at some point? Did you have parents who were all 'well thats what the fuck our parents made us do,so you have to do it too,you little jerk off!" Or did you grow up without it being a big deal,and all of a sudden something happened which made you believe there was a big jew in he clouds who controls everything? Or vice versa...did you go to a strip club at 3 in the afternoon and realize,no way there is a fucking God? its all SHIT. Or something in between?

UKHBqoS.jpg

I realized it was stupid and actuslly all just made up nonsense.

So I stopped believing in it.

I used to be a militant atheist but after watching how much religion helped ease my dad's suffering before he died I eased up. Always thought it to be a load of horseshit and can't believe in the people that actually believe in it. Still atheist btw

I used to be a militant atheist but after watching how much religion helped ease my dad's suffering before he died I eased up. Always thought it to be a load of horseshit and can't believe in the people that actually believe in it. Still atheist btw

This is random,but i remember Queen latifah talking about her brother being killed in a car accident,and she said her belief in God was the only way she was able to get through that shit.

Age, the older I got and the more I experienced life the less religious I became.
Born Jewish, pretty agnostic/atheist now

This is random,but i remember Queen latifah talking about her brother being killed in a car accident,and she said her belief in God was the only way she was able to get through that shit.
Yeah it can be useful I guess. My dad didn't even want us to be around him when he entered the hospice then he talked to a priest no clue what was said but he got all lovey dovey with us after that.

Yeah it can be useful I guess. My dad didn't even want us to be around him when he entered the hospice then he talked to a priest no clue what was said but he got all lovey dovey with us after that.
Well it is the same as anything else,we try to tell ourselves to be able to get through it. We do it all the time...It doesnt have to be that,but thats what she found the most comfort in. Ive lost people close to me,but only when i was really young...it would be very different now,and it would be a test for sure in what i would think about to get me through it.

I dont really identify as anything and am not militantly anything. I guess the closest thing is youd say im Agnostic. I believe there are forces at work,things that mankind isnt really meant to know,and can only touch the surface of it in this life. You have to experience highs and lows to shape your own path through life. A book,rules,order,all that shit goes out the window...you have to adapt to the world around you,not follow some thousands year old nonsense to get everyone to be the same,and behave. How many lives ruined by religion,its maddening,but its a roll of the dice,what you are born into. I was lucky.

Using logic and common sense helped me to change my mind

I was raised Christian and took it very seriously, but began to have doubts during my late teens and early 20s. By 21 I was calling myself an agnostic.

The majority of my doubts were brought about by what I feel are logical problems with the doctrines of original sin and an eternal hell.

I am not 100% committed to religion being bullshit though. Just a few months ago I met with an Episcopal priest and strongly considered joining the Episcopal church, mostly because it's a denomination that is unusually open to questioning and questioners, and they're fairly broad in what they consider to be an acceptable scope of biblical interpretation.

I ultimately did not go down that path, though it's been on my mind again lately and it's possible I could do it in the future.

Using logic and common sense helped me to change my mind

for sure,but it cant ALLWAYS be logic and common sense.Sometimes youve got to go by intuition when your confronted with something you are completley unprepared for. And sometimes you just do things way harder just for the golly heck of it,the challenge.

I thought the bible was really cool and then in 4th grade i realized how dumb it was and asked to quit CCD. My mom OK'd it.

I was raised Christian and took it very seriously, but began to have doubts during my late teens and early 20s. By 21 I was calling myself an agnostic.

The majority of my doubts were brought about by what I feel are logical problems with the doctrines of original sin and an eternal hell.

I am not 100% committed to it being bullshit though. Just a few months ago I met with an Episcopal priest and strongly considered joining the Episcopal church, mostly because it's a denomination that is unusually open to questioning and questioners, and they're fairly broad in what they consider to be an acceptable scope of biblical interpretation.

I ultimately did not go down that path, though it's been on my mind again lately and it's possible I could do it in the future.

I think its very healthy to ask questions...it could be path to somewhere else,sometimes people are on a different path,but searching for the same thing.

Eh it was never a big deal to me.

Parents sent my older brother and I to Sunday school and we got kicked out after a few months.

I never liked how church was always some lame 'dog and pony show' where everybody gets dressed in their nicest clothes and all that bullshit.

Half them people probably never read the bible, and to me church especially just seemed phony and I always figured that God doesn't really care if I go or not.

I think God is trying to bust serial killers and pedophiles you know, like a cosmic one man CSI, not taking attendance at these shitty churches that also promote the worship of idols (none of those idiots seem to realize that though) which I believe is in conflict with the first (?) commandment?

I know plenty of people that are shitheads IRL yet go to church.

And then how people recommend priests and churches to other people like "oh did you go see father so-and-so, man he's good".

Like OK you make it like I asked you for a barber or some shit like that.

every culture has got their own interpretations to explain this world around us that we have no idea how it really works,and some of that is beautiful and awe inspiring,but when you get down to "well this is the way,the only way,and youll burn in eternal hellfire,after we torture and kill you" kind of thing,it just becomes a fixed zealotry devoid of any common sense.

I was being raised as Christian, went to church, bible studies, bible camp in the summer even lol. And when I was like, idk 7 or s/t, fuck if I can remember, the woman speaking in church said God is everywhere. Because nobody would answer me as to whether or not this meant he was creeping in the bathroom, I decided God was a pervert and I didn't want to be religious anymore xD

Nowadays I simply just can't believe in any of it. Meh.

For those who don't like or have a religion - what do you think? Do you think there's a universal intelligence? I believe in a higher power personally, but haven't been to a place of worship that I belonged to in over 20 years.

I was never pressured into it,even though my family was catholic,and i was sent to a catholic junior high. Id read the old testament story about the family who were burned to death for their choice not to eat meat on a holy day,which they gladly accepted this fate. I could never get my mind to accept that. I think i was 13,and that was like,i remember a pivotal moment for me to not be pushed into going along with what everyone else was doing. Of course,rock and metal music made me realize I wasnt the only one feeling that way :D

for sure,but it cant ALLWAYS be logic and common sense.Sometimes youve got to go by intuition when your confronted with something you are completley unprepared for. And sometimes you just do things way harder just for the golly heck of it,the challenge.
I'm not an atheist I see myself as part agnostic/diest/spiritual. I was a pretty devote christian at one point from my early teens to about 20 then went thru a soul search entertaining several concepts from, paganism, new age, and eastern religions.

Back