What Can Possibly Headline UFC 230? Not Many Options.

TJ vs Moraes main event with Rose vs Claudia co-main would be solid.

Max is not an option.

Why would GSP take Anderson fight? He has nothing to gain from it anymore. No one cares also. Andersons aura is gone

I suspect DC vs Gus, but that could potentially derail the Lesnar fight if DC gets injured.

GSP is the obvious guy to headline, but with the Silva fight not happening I have zero idea who they could have him fight.

It’s bad timing. UFC will really struggle to do an appealing main event for MSG this year.
Dana seemed very confident that he will deliver. I suspect he has something up his sleeve similar to Nate's return.

Worst case scenario is making that fight 5 rounds and then add a token title fight as the co-main.

Keep offering GSP more and more money to make it worthwhile for him to whoop Anderson Silva and choke him unconscious.

Max is not an option.

Why would GSP take Anderson fight? He has nothing to gain from it anymore. No one cares also. Andersons aura is gone
If Shertards are right, GSP would wait until Anderson's old and shitty then take the fight and whoop him.

I'm sure they're hoping GSP Anderson or GSP anyone. He's the biggest draw who isn't matched/potentially matched up. They're breaking away from the 2 title fight mold (Nate x Porier being the Co-main), which tells me they're banking on a huge main event. GSP is that guy.

With the awful NY commission I'm not particularly invested in the fights on that card.

Cyborg vs Nunes or,
Dillashaw vs Moraes
Cyborg/Nunes could likely be big enough to headline MSG. Dillishaw/Moraes has no chance and is likely too quick of a turnaround for TJ per his coach from earlier today.

With the awful NY commission I'm not particularly invested in the fights on that card.
This has become such an incorrect trope. 217 was handled just fine and was one of the best cards ever delivered.

UFC 230: ???

What can possibly headline UFC 230? Let's run-down the options.

Flyweight Title- Just fought at 227. Bantamweight Title- Just fought at 227. TJ Finished it quickly though. I'd call him a possibility. Featherweight Title- Holloway's condition is still up in the air. A possibility I guess. Lightweight Title- Fight scheduled for UFC 229. Welterweight Title- Fight scheduled for UFC 228. Middleweight title- Robert Whittaker is out with injuries til 2019. LHW and HW title- Cormier has both, won't fight at HW til Brock fight in 2019, LHW title, no real contenders. Already said he isn't fighting Gustafsson. Only guy really is Anthony Smith who is fighting Volkan in Canada, that won't happen considering the Moncton event is only a week before UFC 230.

From the women's divisions, Rose hasn't fought in awhile. I guess she's a possibility but a fight against Karolina and Andrade is currently scheduled for UFC 228 to name a #1 contender to that title. I don't see who else she could fight for the title. Maybe Gadelha? Nicco is currently scheduled to defend her title at UFC 228, she won't fight at UFC 230. Maybe this is a landing spot for Cyborg/Nunes? Although Nunes wants to fight in December.

Soo.. After considering all options, these seem to be the only realistic headliners for UFC 230:

TJ Dillashaw vs. Moraes / Assuncao / Cruz
Max Holloway vs. Brian Ortega
Cris Cyborg vs. Amanda Nunes
Rose Namajunas vs. Karolina/Andrade Winner or Gadelha

A couple of low chance options that would be awesome:

GSP vs. Anderson Silva
The return of Jon Jones vs. who? Cormier III? Doesn't seem likely. Gus II? Rumble Johnson?

What do you guys think headlines UFC 230?

Bones vs some scrub
Mark my words

Which is why it's taking so long

If Jones gets cleared and can headline MSG, that would be awesome but seems a bit farfetched. Who would he even fight? I guess the answer would be Cormier but I wonder if Cormier even wants a third crack at Jones. Bring Rumble back and give us Jones vs. Rumble finally.

Cormier absolutely takes a third fight with Jones if offered. Its a chance for him to finally get a win over Jones and Jones is the only fight other than lesnar that would do the kind of profits that end of career DC is chasing.

It’s supposed to be GSP vs Anderson Silva.

We just need Grease St Pierre to end the decade long ducking.
Have you seen any real facts that present that?

No way gsp is fighting again at 85 with his present LW size due to ass aids.

Dana will find a way to make a BS interim title.
It's on the list that would be hilarious to call Dana on. 'Why should anyone care about an interim belt if you'r ejust going to strip it whenever you feel like it? What does the belt signify and why do you even do those? You've shown repeatedly that they dont mean anything.'

Permanent ban but funny way to go out.

Cyborg/Nunes could likely be big enough to headline MSG. Dillishaw/Moraes has no chance and is likely too quick of a turnaround for TJ per his coach from earlier today.
Mehh.. I'm out of ideas then lol

It’s supposed to be GSP vs Anderson Silva.

We just need Grease St Pierre to end the decade long ducking.
Ducking of someone that doesn't fight in the same weight class? What are you fucking casual... Everyone knows GSP isn't big for his weight class.... Don't be retarded.

You heard it hear first. Dc for Gus 2 and if dc refuses he will be stripped and it will be rumble vs Gus 2 for the vacant title

Back