What Can Possibly Headline UFC 230? Not Many Options.

Arkridge

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
UFC 230: ???

What can possibly headline UFC 230? Let's run-down the options.

Flyweight Title- Just fought at 227. Bantamweight Title- Just fought at 227. TJ Finished it quickly though. I'd call him a possibility. Featherweight Title- Holloway's condition is still up in the air. A possibility I guess. Lightweight Title- Fight scheduled for UFC 229. Welterweight Title- Fight scheduled for UFC 228. Middleweight title- Robert Whittaker is out with injuries til 2019. LHW and HW title- Cormier has both, won't fight at HW til Brock fight in 2019, LHW title, no real contenders. Already said he isn't fighting Gustafsson. Only guy really is Anthony Smith who is fighting Volkan in Canada, that won't happen considering the Moncton event is only a week before UFC 230.

From the women's divisions, Rose hasn't fought in awhile. I guess she's a possibility but a fight against Karolina and Andrade is currently scheduled for UFC 228 to name a #1 contender to that title. I don't see who else she could fight for the title. Maybe Gadelha? Nicco is currently scheduled to defend her title at UFC 228, she won't fight at UFC 230. Maybe this is a landing spot for Cyborg/Nunes? Although Nunes wants to fight in December.

Soo.. After considering all options, these seem to be the only realistic headliners for UFC 230:

TJ Dillashaw vs. Moraes / Assuncao / Cruz
Max Holloway vs. Brian Ortega
Cris Cyborg vs. Amanda Nunes
Rose Namajunas vs. Karolina/Andrade Winner or Gadelha

A couple of low chance options that would be awesome:

GSP vs. Anderson Silva- Apparently Silva's suspension isn't up in time for this event
The return of Jon Jones vs. who? Cormier III? Doesn't seem likely. Gus II? Rumble Johnson?

What do you guys think headlines UFC 230?

Last edited:
Does anyone think that Henry Cejudo talks like a prophet? hahah Everything he says is like his revealing some big revelation haha

It’s supposed to be GSP vs Anderson Silva.

We just need Grease St Pierre to end the decade long ducking.

It'll be a wmma main event we r overdue one of those and I am really looking forward to it

tenor.gif

Dana will find a way to make a BS interim title.

I dont even care about the ME.

The rest is so good we dont even need one:
- Ronaldo Souza vs. David Branch
- Yoel Romero vs. Paulo Costa
- Dustin Poirier vs. Nate Diaz
- Derek Brunson vs. Israel Adesanya

Come on... that is sick... Anyone at the top will do

GSP is the only name worthy to headline an MSG card. They should've made him fight Woodley for the title.

It’s supposed to be GSP vs Anderson Silva.

We just need Grease St Pierre to end the decade long ducking.
I thought they were interested in that fight UFC 231 in Canada. Also, it seems GSP is more interested in the winner of Conor/Khabib.

Does anyone think that Henry Cejudo talks like a prophet? hahah Everything he says is like his revealing some big revelation haha

well his nickname is the messenger after all...

I dont even care about the ME.

The rest is so good we dont even need one:
- Ronaldo Souza vs. David Branch
- Yoel Romero vs. Paulo Costa
- Dustin Poirier vs. Nate Diaz
- Derek Brunson vs. Israel Adesanya

Come on... that is sick... Anyone at the top will do

Pretty much. Seems like they could headline with Poirier/Diaz if they built it up (and if it's actually going to happen). Might not be a huge seller but not sure if having a championship would sell better (unless it's a big fight.)

Otherwise, only three big names I see is:

Jones (if he gets cleared asap)
GSP (not sure who he could fight that would be 'big')
Cormier (same as GSP...no big names unless...Jones 3)

My guess is DC will cave and fight Gus for the LHW belt at 230.

He's retiring in 8 months... He can either sit around and have just the one more fight against Brock, or he can headline at MSG for another big payday and a chance to make history as the first two division defending champ in UFC history. Knowing DC... he'll take that fight.

Pretty much. Seems like they could headline with Poirier/Diaz if they built it up (and if it's actually going to happen). Might not be a huge seller but not sure if having a championship would sell better (unless it's a big fight.)

If Jones gets cleared and can headline MSG, that would be awesome but seems a bit farfetched. Who would he even fight? I guess the answer would be Cormier but I wonder if Cormier even wants a third crack at Jones. Bring Rumble back and give us Jones vs. Rumble finally.

They are going to have to throw a curve ball with a fight we didn't think possible or tack together a wmma card and b listers. Hope we get a surprise

Should have been Conor/Khabib so they can fight at the scene of the bus crime.

At this point, headlining with a Diaz is a very dangerous bet, who even knows if that duck is fighting anyone but Mcgregor on what's left of his career.

It will be some combination of Jones/DC/Gus.

Before anyone says DC won't defend the belt or fight Gus. PPV points for an MSG card with Nate on it says hello!

If Jones gets cleared and can headline MSG, that would be awesome but seems a bit farfetched. Who would he even fight? I guess the answer would be Cormier but I wonder if Cormier even wants a third crack at Jones. Bring Rumble back and give us Jones vs. Rumble finally.
If DC won't take the Jones fight, they would just trip him of LHW and runback one of the best fights in UFC history with Jones/Gus 2.

Back