What can I train while my LCL heals?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Voodoo Dahl, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Voodoo Dahl

Voodoo Dahl Blue Belt

So after a week or two of being sore, i recently had my knee swell up and become very painful, after training.

There was no single event or cause, just an overuse scenario.

After working with health service providers i have narrowed it down to a lcl sprain.

I stay off my legs as much as possible, RICE, as often as I can, and wear a lateral knee brace.

Twisting motions are prohibited while rehabbing

But I am itching to train. I was wondering, other than speed bag, what can i work while healing?

Any drills or exercises you all can suggest?

2. Kenjamito

Kenjamito Chingasos Por Payasos

You could do the strength/conditioning you normally do and exclude that which stresses your legs.

Also you could get some mental reps by watching old fights of the particular boxer your coach suggested you watch.

3. fluffball

fluffball Brown Belt

Maybe some defense? Like parrying, blocking, crunching to defend body shots etc. As long as your partner doesn't use any power, I think you can get your reps in for recognizing various punches. You can never see enough punches coming at you.

Or just have a jalapeno margarita.

Edit: I've mentioned a "zombie drill" in the past, that a lot of schools use. You put your back on the ropes, close your eyes. Partner throws a slooow motion attack and you open your eyes either as it lands or right before, and you respond in slow motion. That might be a good drill for you just because of the slow motion aspect.

4. Voodoo Dahl

Voodoo Dahl Blue Belt

Thanks for the suggestions. I am open to all drill ideas. It has been hard to watch fights or technique, it makes me restless.

5. JoeDeeCee

JoeDeeCee White Belt

Could be a good time to work any core, cardio, or muscle tightness deficiencies you might have or develop while you're down. I'm not sure how long it'll take that LCL to heal but as you probably know it could be a while.

Depending on the soreness/pain you might be able to run or jump rope. Maybe some isometric and static stretching. Anything that doesn't require lateral movement or twisting. Hope that thing heals up nicely for you.

6. jerellem

jerellem White Belt

I have the exact same injury, though I think yours is more severe. The doc said mine likely came from MMA but I truly think it came from squats. Doc also told me 14 days of rest but I hate to miss that much time. For now my cardio is on the exercise bike instead of running and all of my lifts are upper body or pistols but on the good leg. I'm not hitting the bag or even going to the MMA gym at the moment cause it just ain't worth it. It seems to be healing pretty fast though. Initial injury was Thursday and today is Wednesday and now I'm walking without pain, I just have to be sure not to let that right food twist outward cause it will instantly remind me of why I shouldn't. Get well soon. I know exactly how you feel.

7. Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant White Belt

Sorry to latch onto this topic, but this is so similar to my situation. I'm a grappler- Been doing BJJ for about 5 years. My knee is completely swollen and I just returned yesterday after being out for 2 months. And yes, my injury came from swollen knee sprain, caused by over training and squats (I did hindu squats).
    I'm off grappling for at least another 4-6 months which depresses me, but I've always wanted to learn Muay Thai.
    I can jump with it, and I can bend it somewhat, but I can't take any hits to the knee, stretch, sit on my shins or anything like that.

I need some exercises, some fundamentals. Fortunately my gym had dedicated Thai boxing, but no beginner classes. I know it cannot be helped that I will slow the others down, but if anyone has some beginner-guides or some sort of way I can teach how to shadowbox or do some basic.

ps. my cross cross motor skills are pathetic. I literally cannot do things with my hand and feet at the same time. This is a lot harder than it looks!

8. UniqueSteez

UniqueSteez Be water my friend. Platinum Member

You can use the speed bag which will help your coordination in the mean time while you heal.

9. Voodoo Dahl

Voodoo Dahl Blue Belt

Thanks for the responses! My healing is progressing, trying to stay vigilant.

I have been doing jab catch drills, block-parry-cover drills, speed bag, jab and cross work.

Lots of ab work, crunches, leg raises, v- ups, medicine ball slams, plyometric push-ups, pull-ups, bench, etc.

I swam a day or two ago and it really seemed to help... probably going to do it once a week at least for the rest of the year.

Once I am a little more healed up I am going to start doing more mobility work with resistance bands and small weights.

I am looking for a good brace to wear while I train, post injury. I have a rigid metal brace currently, but am hoping to find something i have light spar/ roll with.

10. Azam

Azam Brown Belt

I went through the same thing but more severe.

My advice would be not to push it and slowly work your way up. Don't get complacent or lazy but you shouldn't overdo it either.

I had a LCL partial tear and it had me out for well over a 1.5 years because it kept flaring up when I pushed myself too much - I was a bit retarded too because I neglected the proper rehab - so took a lot longer to heal & at times I really pushed it when I shouldn't have.

Leg raises, calf raises & squats really helped for me. As well as basic stretches.

Your's a sprain so I'd say take it easy till your fully recovered - trust me you don't want a partial tear or a complete tear - it's not a nice experience lol.

11. Voodoo Dahl

Voodoo Dahl Blue Belt

I did some calf raises, slow front kicks, and stretching today.

A physical therapist also suggested slow biking with no resistance, as well as an exercise i have never done, called quad setting.

(In the pool) "Some great exercises would be side walking, walking front and backward, mini squats, straight leg raises all directions, lunges, calf raises and single legged standing for time. This should be done obviously in the shallow end. Light, non-painful swimming is probably alright. Be careful not to overdo it..,easy to do in the water!"

12. JoeDeeCee

JoeDeeCee White Belt

Quad setting is a great PT exercise. It strengens the VMO; which, stabilizes and strengthens the patella medially.

13. roventu

roventu Brown Belt

basically shoulder conditioning, keeping your arms up (which many ppl have trouble doing for extended periods of time lol)

also, a good time to work out muscles you don't usually target. i didn't see any back exercises in your routine (try seated lat pulldowns, back extensions holding a barbell plate etc.) and a lot of people neglect their posterior chain muscles. I've been incorporating some glute/hamstring exercises in my bodyweight routines, if you need some PM me.

you can always just work on stretching. Also, foam rolling is pretty fun too lol

14. Voodoo Dahl

Voodoo Dahl Blue Belt

I do tend to ignore my lower back and obliques. I haven't been doing back extensions because the strain it puts on my knee. I do a significant amount of pull ups, weighted and non. I am going to try straight leg deadlifts/ good mornings, this week and see how my knee feels with them.

I think i will try some shoulder stamina exercises with resistance bands for timed rounds, that sounds fun.

15. roventu

roventu Brown Belt

lol life's funny sometimes. was reading all these posts about ppl getting injured, and i said to myself im surprised i havent gotten a serious injury yet. go into gym today, pulled my back while someone throws me in the clinch.

its hurting pretty bad tonight, woke up just now. wish I had a cardio bike, that used to be my jam when i had a weightlifting gym membership. guess im working on my 5K time for the next few weeks now

btw, wouldn't those lifts be stressful on your knee, even at moderate weight? i know ppl say machines are crap, but one reason is because they're isolation instead of compound workouts. there's usually a seated version of every lift lol as lazy as that sounds.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015