What CAN Cyborg do to promote herself?

BruceBud

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
With the constant talk of Ronda/Cyborg: who's ducking who ....

Let's look at this angle:

Ronda went from being a barley-known judo Olympian to megastar by almost FORCING the UFC to create a space for her. She did this by:

- Developing exceptional judo skills including exceptional sub techniques
- Training no-gi to translate her judo skills to MMA
- Training her striking to achieve more diverse weapons
- Training wrestling and BJJ to shore up weak areas that my be present in her Judo training
- Been controversial, opinionated but always articulate when interviewed and often quite charming
- Cultivated her fashion sense to look more appealing when off he mat
- Continued to SHOWCASE her new and developing skills despite have success with her subs alone

1) My question is what has Cyborg done, to make herself a "must-have" in the UFC?

2) If you were her manager, what would you SUGGEST she do to become sought after (other than challenging Ronda from afar)?

Lose 10 pounds of muscle.

Not only does it get her the Ronda fight, but win or lose it gets her a continual stream of BW fights in the UFC that pay much better than Invicta.

She is severely limiting her earnings potential by not dropping to 135

Cut the weight in the next two months then go to the UFC office in Vegas and stand on a weight scale in front of White/Fertittas, then Dana takes an instagram picture with the caption, "It's On!".

Cut to 135 and she'll have ALL the promotion in the WORLD.

But she can't. So she gets absolutely NOTHING.

I honestly don't know what else she can do. It was risky, but not crazy to build a division around Rousey. She was marketable and an unquestionably viable athlete.

Cyborg can't speak to an American audience well, there are far fewer people who will find her attractive, her athletic credentials come with the baggage of her steroid busts. She's already a champ, her division is thimble deep. Outside of the UFC I think she's maxed her potential, and there is no reason for the UFC to create a 145 lb division around her or the rest of the available talent.\

135 is her only chance to become a big draw.

With the constant talk of Ronda/Cyborg: who's ducking who ....

Let's look at this angle:

Ronda went from being a barley-known judo Olympian to megastar by almost FORCING the UFC to create a space for her. She did this by:

- Developing exceptional judo skills including exceptional sub techniques
- Training no-gi to translate her judo skills to MMA
- Training her striking to achieve more diverse weapons
- Training wrestling and BJJ to shore up weak areas that my be present in her Judo training
- Been controversial, opinionated but always articulate when interviewed and often quite charming
- Cultivated her fashion sense to look more appealing when off he mat
- Continued to SHOWCASE her new and developing skills despite have success with her subs alone

1) My question is what has Cyborg done, to make herself a "must-have" in the UFC?

2) If you were her manager, what would you SUGGEST she do to become sought after (other than challenging Ronda from afar)?

Mention Ronda as often as possible.

make the permanent move to 135 and start knocking bitches out

She can follow Bruce Jenners lead.

If I were her manager the list is pretty short.

1. Improve your english. Spend more time improving your vocabulary and grammar. Also look to hire some decent speech writers and a PR person who can help prepare you better for interviews. Think along the lines of "debate prep". Talking on the fly just isn't your thing. Also, hire a dialect coach and reduce the accent. There are plenty of coaches than can smooth out your accent.

2. Fight for the UFC. Lose some muscle and fight at 135. Bigger stage = more exposure = more money. You may lose some strength but you'll gain speed and endurance. If you're any good you can adjust your fighting style and improve other skills to compensate.

3. Stop calling out Rousey if you're not going to cut weight to 135. It's stupid to whine for a fight when it's 100% obvious that the UFC isn't going to change their stance. Make 135 THEN you can call out Rousey. After 2 years of saying that you're working on making 135, your credibility on that topic is pretty close to zero. It's crossed the line from prefight trash talk to talking out your back side.

4. Take fights with the other 135ers. Tate, Zingano, Davis and Carmouche are all credible competitors. You might have beat a bunch of people in Invicta, but nobody cares about those fights or fighters especially since none of them are in the UFC. Beat the legit 135 competitors and you'll have a name. Crush Tate, Zingano and Davis and you'll have a lot more negotiating leverage for when the Rousey fight actually happens.

5. Tell Tito to stop talking. Tito is not the person you want representing your interests or views in any way, shape or fashion. Tito talking about you is always going to be an obstacle to good relations with Dana White and it certainly doesn't help your cause with the general public. It's all down side with no upside.

Cyborg has been approaching the Rousey fight in the worst way possible. If her management team had half a brain, Cyborg would have been in the UFC long ago and either fighting for or holding the title with a mountain of money in her bank account instead of being a parody of herself.

Back