What book change your life?

invisibility.jpg

Sort of

Gulag archipelago.

SHOGUN - by James Clavell ( a gateway to the other books in this TREMENDOUS series)
BLOOD MERIDIAN - By Cormac Mccarthy (most uncomfortable and unflinching book ever written)
LOTR (the gold standard by which any adventure will be judged)

Love 2 of them suppose I'll have to give Blood meridian a look.

Continuously read it through high school. I guess it was just comforting that I wasn't the only kid who had doubts.
Catcher-Rye.gif

Really made me rethink how I approach martial arts and helped me mentally transition from competitor to martial artist.
9781590307151.png

Continuously read it through high school. I guess it was just comforting that I wasn't the only kid who had doubts.
Catcher-Rye.gif

Really made me rethink how I approach martial arts and helped me mentally transition from competitor to martial artist.
9781590307151.png

Catcher in the Rye is my fave of all time I reckon, absolute classic, I got a real bang out of it ha ha

Bukowski ham on rye and post office

Edward bunker animal factory and no beast so fierce

My mom's boyfriend gave me a concussion with a phone book once if that counts.

Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card. I've read it on an almost annual basis for the last decade or so.
Came in here to say this. You literally have to personally question everything after reading this. Book is a masterpeice

Yes, I expect it would work for vaping etc.

The book breaks down and addresses the addictions "lies" and "brainwashing". Smokers have convinced themselves (consciously and subconsciously) of certain benefits and positives of smoking e.g. "I enjoy it", "it relieves my stress/anxiety" etc. The book systematically addresses each of these beliefs and shows you that there are zero positives to smoking, only negatives; there is no actual pleasure from nicotine, by smoking you are simply relieving a craving, which starts to build again the minute you put a cigarette out (or put the vape down).

I gave up smoking for years (without the book) but I was always a smoker who didn't smoke; and I would have an occasional cigarette when out socially until I eventually started smoking full time again.
I read this book a few years ago and haven't touched a cigarette since, and it's been easy.
I can honestly say that I'm now a non-smoker.
Thanks for the break down. I think I'm going to pick this up and finally stop this bullshit. I use snus and go through 2 cans a day. 30 pouches total. $10 a day every day. Even after I had a heart scare I still didnt quit but I really am tired of this shit and need to quit the damn things

Gaius Julius Caesar - Commentaries on the Gallic War.

It made me realize that we haven't evolved at all as a species during the past two thousand years.
The strong still take what they want simply because they can. The only difference is that we now pretend we wage wars for other reasons than the real ones.
This has in turn lowered my expectations of both leaders and nations, which has made me a happier person since I'm not constantly disappointed anymore.

Pet cemetery , read it in grade 11 in 1986 , it was the first book I ever read voluntarily , been a pretty avid reader ever since , I owe that book and Mr King a debt of gratitude .

On the Road - Kerouac
The Autobiography of David Hassellhoff: As Told to Alex Haley

Back