What bjj belt beats Bruce Lee?

There is no belt that beats Bruce Lee because they'd all be focused on the finger, he'd be focused on the moon.

People will believe what they want to believe because well the guys dead. I think Bruce fans think of him as a god. And his haters like to think hey this little cocky guy waving his arms around isn't beating any professional fighter.

It's hard to evaluate because there's not much evidence of how he fought. Except for the sparring video. Still no indication of how he'd do against a modern fighter.

He was ahead of his time. But by how much?

Here's a video about Bruce's fights:

He was pretty cocky and did get into a lot of fights.

Weight matters and so does age. Bruce Lee died a year past prime 33 and only weighed 135 lbs. Against another135 lb athlete he might have done ok but in the open weight tournaments he would be absolutely killed (again.)
I assume the question was for those his own size.

I assume the question was for those his own size.
His own size and his own time (1973) I sure he could have been champ but that was long ago . 135 lb fighters now don’t walk around at 135 like he did. They are a good 20-30 pounds bigger than him a week before the fight. They also have wrestling and BJJ and would absolutely take a undersized pure striker down. Like all theoretical matches it is fun to ponder but we will never have proof that we are right or wrong.

His own size and his own time (1973) I sure he could have been champ but that was long ago . 135 lb fighters now don’t walk around at 135 like he did. They are a good 20-30 pounds bigger than him a week before the fight. They also have wrestling and BJJ and would absolutely take a undersized pure striker down. Like all theoretical matches it is fun to ponder but we will never have proof that we are right or wrong.
well he wasn't a fighter, fighters cut weight back then too.

I'll just leave this here:

But a brue belt might have a fighting chance.

The goal of this drill is for the jiujiteiros to not shoot a single or double-leg takedown, but to cover up and secure a clinch or tie up with the boxer--which is much harder to do than shooting a single or double.

Why?

Because I want to teach them to cover up.

Too often when we practice they leave their hands down. "I tell them in the street, against a decent boxer, you're going to get hit right in the face if you shoot in with your hands down."

So I had our boxing coach, who is also a blue belt, put the gloves on and wake them up as they come in.

The goal of this drill is for the jiujiteiros to not shoot a single or double-leg takedown, but to cover up and secure a clinch or tie up with the boxer--which is much harder to do than shooting a single or double.

Why?

Because I want to teach them to cover up.

Too often when we practice they leave their hands down. "I tell them in the street, against a decent boxer, you're going to get hit right in the face if you shoot in with your hands down."

So I had our boxing coach, who is also a blue belt, put the gloves on and wake them up as they come in.

It's an interesting drill and currently as a BJJ guy myself I wasn't trying to demean your guys. But you surely realize it doesn't paint jiujiteiros in the most flattering light and the reality is there are many guys at my gym who would look the same if they were TRYING for a double or single vs. a boxer with good fundamental TD defense and awareness (as the guy in your vid clearly has).

Were your guys trying for any follow up or simply to clinch? A few of them briefly achieved a clinch and had TD openings for ko uchi gari, O uchi gari or other trips and reaps, but they didn't do anything with it and were forced to let go. A lot of Judo TDs work well from clinch but seem to have a steeper learning curve for BJJ guys relative to doubles and singles.

Problem is there was no competitive results to measure “elite”. He had 1 documented fight. In high school. Boxing. High school boxing. Once.

We don’t even have footage of real practice fighting (sparring). We have movies and word of mouth by people profiting off his name and their scene back in the day.

The only basis for calling him elite is a couple guys from his inner circle calling him elite.

He is certainly important.

What planet are you on? There is live, full-contact sparring footage (one event, with full protective equipment) of him that has been broken down and analyzed on YouTube, and the links have been posted here, on this site many, many times.

Don't spout off when you don't know what you're talking about.

What planet are you on? There is live, full-contact sparring footage (one event, with full protective equipment) of him that has been broken down and analyzed on YouTube, and the links have been posted here, on this site many, many times.

Don't spout off when you don't know what you're talking about.
c'mon. are you kidding?

that is not full contact sparring. they are wearing full body armor, it is his own students, and they are doing what amounts to less than a point fight exhibition. we have more credible footage of joe rogan and MJW than bruce lee. you trying to talk down to people when that is your evidence is pretty sad.

i was well aware of this footage and you trying to pass it off as "full contact sparring" is laughable.

Jeet Kune Do was conceived to be dynamic, to enable its practitioners to adapt to the constant changes and fluctuations of live combat. He believed these decisions should be made within the context of "real combat" and/or "all out sparring" and that it was only in this environment that a practitioner could actually deem a technique worthy of adoption.
and while the above is true the footage doesn't even remotely come close to representing "real combat" or "all out sparring". it is a bruce lee exhibition / demo with his students. nothing more.

c'mon. are you kidding?

that is not full contact sparring. they are wearing full body armor, it is his own students, and they are doing what amounts to less than a point fight exhibition. we have more credible footage of joe rogan and MJW than bruce lee. you trying to talk down to people when that is your evidence is pretty sad.

Here's your earlier claim -

We don’t even have footage of real practice fighting (sparring). We have movies and word of mouth by people profiting off his name and their scene back in the day.

That IS full contact sparring. That is "real practice fighting." There's no way around that. You were talking out of your ass. It isn't a movie scene, it's not a stunt. That's why they're wearing body armor. If it wasn't full contact, you wouldn't need protective gear.

It is free-form, actual sparring. It isn't scripted, it isn't rehearsed, it's two people, actually trying to strike each other, with any variety of strikes, in any target area. That is full-contact sparring.

It doesn't matter that they are his students. That doesn't make it not actual sparring. Sparring, is, BY YOUR OWN WORDS, "practice fighting," not a full-on competition.

YOU are the one who said there wasn't even any sparring. Wearing protective gear is what they do when they spar, full contact.

That you think this is laughable is beyond backwards and absurd. Have you ever trained, at all? If you are sparring full contact, you better be wearing protective gear. In fact, with most martial arts, when they COMPETE, full-contact, they wear protective gear.

Even the UFC has SOME protective gear. You're flailing, and badly, at that.

This is typical of you. You're twisting yourself into pretzels and trying to redefine what words and terms mean because you said something that was clearly and demonstrably wrong.

Here's your earlier claim -

That IS full contact sparring. That is "real practice fighting." There's no way around that. You were talking out of your ass. It isn't a movie scene, it's not a stunt. That's why they're wearing body armor. If it wasn't full contact, you wouldn't need protective gear.

It is free-form, actual sparring. It isn't scripted, it isn't rehearsed, it's two people, actually trying to strike each other, with any variety of strikes, in any target area. That is full-contact sparring.

It doesn't matter that they are his students. That doesn't make it not actual sparring. Sparring, is, BY YOUR OWN WORDS, "practice fighting," not a full-on competition.

YOU are the one who said there wasn't even any sparring. Wearing protective gear is what they do when they spar, full contact.

That you think this is laughable is beyond backwards and absurd. Have you ever trained, at all? If you are sparring full contact, you better be wearing protective gear. In fact, with most martial arts, when they COMPETE, full-contact, they wear protective gear.

Even the UFC has SOME protective gear. You're flailing, and badly, at that.

This is typical of you. You're twisting yourself into pretzels and trying to redefine what words and terms mean because you said something that was clearly and demonstrably wrong.
lol. when i spar i wear shin guards. usually headgear. i don't wear a mask and full body armor. lol. i'm not completely shielded.

what they are doing is NOT full contact sparring. they are doing demo. they STOP upon light contact and reset. again, and you won't dispute this, we have more credible footage of mjw and joe rogan. at least their footage is competitive, not just a demo.

when i spar it sucks to get hit. it can hurt. when i spar, we don't stop and reset after one person gets touched in an exchange. in this demo noone had any risk of any physical impact. nor was there any real attempt. they simply lightly touch and agree to reset. lol at you suggesting because they were wearing protective gear they were doing "full contact".

that was not "practice fighting". bruce lee himself would laugh at the notion. it actually goes against the idea of jkd. it is in no way a simulation of real combat. it's a demo of a singular aspect. lol at you jumping at me saying there's no real sparring footage by parading a student demo as your smoking gun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back