What bjj belt beats Bruce Lee?

I've found the reverse to be more common, at least at the gyms I've trained at - if they train any takedowns at all, BJJers will (poorly) attempt wrestling doubles and singles because that's what they learned from their MMA-based instructor. Pretty rare to see a BJJ gym that teaches proper Judo TDs. My school used to have O goshi and O soto gari on the blue belt test curriculum but they quietly took them out when they saw how much of a disaster that was. Even the BB coaches didn't know how to do them properly.

images

Judo is the Father of Jiu jitsu, a jiu jitsu fighter suffers a lot to take down a Judo black belt and often 99.9% of times doesn't even succeed.

I've only trained Judo my whole life and found it very ridiculous when Brazilian jiu jitsu guys tried takedown me.

Master Bruce Lee often credited Sensei Seagal for his spiritual counseling. Little do people know, that it was Sensei Seagal who taught Lee the infamous death tickle touch that could render an opponent unconscious and possibly cause death! To this day Sensei Seagal has vowed to never reveal the death tickle touch secrets, for fear that it may lead to a death in the Octagon!

Actual footage of the death tickle being used.
BNT2xwj.gif

here-wego-again-again.gif

The man was an action TV, and movie star. He was the inspiration for so many top level mma fighters. They were all inspired by watching him. Can’t that be enough? Why do we need to fantasize about fights that never happened. He was dead before most of you were born.

Accept and honour him for what he was. A great movie star that inspired millions of people to take martial arts training.
I heard his family didn't appreciate Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Being famous is a tough go.

I heard his family didn't appreciate Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Being famous is a tough go.
it's a very disrespectful film, putting Lee as a generic arrogant character is the worst thing you can do.

images

he seemed like a nice person, a person with Chinese descent would never be arrogant in Hollywood because they suffered xenophobia and Understand how horrible it is.

This depends as its noted Bruce picked up some grappling later on in his martial artistry

Two stripe white belt or any high school wrestler wrecks Bruce Lee
And wrecks most pro boxers below middleweight.

Two stripe white belt is too much though, at least blue belt level.
Bruce trained under Gene Lebell he was not unfamiliar with grappling.

An old school gracie style vale tudo bjj fighter or these modern day tournament bjj fighters? Modern day doesnt translate to actual fighting unfortunately
Yes good point. Modern sport BJJ doesnt train takedowns. Bruce would wreck even higher belt levels if they can't get it to the ground.

it's a very disrespectful film, putting Lee as a generic arrogant character is the worst thing you can do.

images

he seemed like a nice person, a person with Chinese descent would never be arrogant in Hollywood because they suffered xenophobia and Understand how horrible it is.
They definitely depicted him in-character and not day-to-day Bruce. I respect the Lee family and had a hard time with Brandon Lee's death in 1993.

Hmmm...

I think if you takes the Gracies from 93 and put them into today's BJJ tourneys they'd get smoked. None make it past second round.

But the Gracies didn't do BJJ for sport. It's actually a fighting system. Look on YouTube for Gracie challenge videos. The Gracies punched, kicked, elbowed along with grappling.

So do I think Gary Tonnen can beat a prime Renzo Gracie in a fight? Hell no
Respectfully disagree. Sure they kicked and punched and elbowed, but they didn’t do any of those things well. Watching Royce execute armbars against guys who had literally no idea what he was even doing versus watching Tonon hit lightning quick leglocks against guys who know exactly how to defend against them is like night and day.

blue. seriously. bruce lee’s understanding of grappling was beyond limited. would not take much experience to outduel him on the mat

here-wego-again-again.gif

The man was an action TV, and movie star. He was the inspiration for so many top level mma fighters. They were all inspired by watching him. Can’t that be enough? Why do we need to fantasize about fights that never happened. He was dead before most of you were born.

Accept and honour him for what he was. A great movie star that inspired millions of people to take martial arts training.
He was also an influence for top martial artists/kickboxers of his time. His integration of striking styles was groundbreaking. Chuck Norris, Joe Lewis, and others talk about his mastery, and what it was like to spar with him.

But yes, he didn't exist in the time of cross training in the sense we have now, so it is silly to compare him to fighters and styles of today. He would have to be alive today and train in today's context to see how good he was, which makes it all idle speculation.

From Bruce Lee's book. This is what people mean when they say he was the father of MMA. He studied everything.

At a time where people were still fighting over what was the one best martial art, Bruce was studying all of them and telling people to keep what works for you and discard what doesn't. Be like water.

Book was published in 1975 and people were still debating the best martial art when the UFC started in 1993. No one in the mainstream world could comprehend what Bruce was trying to convey in his book.

SingleDouble-leg-1-768x1043.jpg

Armlocks-4.jpg

Armlocks-2-768x1051.jpg

Fascinating thanks for sharing, there is no doubt in my mind Bruce Lee was ahead of his time and willing to learn all aspects of martial arts or anything that can make him beat his opponent as quickly and decisively as possible without sustaining any damage.

No idea. The big innovation that Bruce Lee brought to martial arts was expanding or introducing more to full contact striking in the sparring competition format.
As such, we have no idea whether he ever did much work on defending or avoiding takedowns.

All belts are created differently.

If Bruce knew he was facing a grappler, it would take a pretty high belt, possibly cross trained in judo/wrestling takedowns.

So I'll say brown.

Best out ten and pride rules mean winning 6 is the winner? Or the one who takes the most damage over the course of 10 loses? Either way ridiculous unanswerable question.

I've found the reverse to be more common, at least at the gyms I've trained at - if they train any takedowns at all, BJJers will (poorly) attempt wrestling doubles and singles because that's what they learned from their MMA-based instructor. Pretty rare to see a BJJ gym that teaches proper Judo TDs. My school used to have O goshi and O soto gari on the blue belt test curriculum but they quietly took them out when they saw how much of a disaster that was. Even the BB coaches didn't know how to do them properly.
I didn't say proper Judo. lol.

Back