What bjj belt beats Bruce Lee?

I'll just leave this here:

But a brue belt might have a fighting chance.

Yikes, not a single penetration step in sight.

It is true that a lot of long time BJJ students have no toughness, are super afraid of being hit, and have zero wrestling while solely relying on Gi based Judo takedowns.

An athletic, no gi based, blue belt for sure gets the job done far more often than not. Any no belt all state wrestler gets the job done 100% of the time.

A six month white belt that has ever lifted a weight in his life

Comparing someone from 50 years ago against competition today is pointless, Bruce Lee would have evolved had he not passed away. This was one of Bruce Lee's greatest strengths, he never came complacent with his training and knowledge.

I understand, lots of edits can be done in two years.

Yes his notes were edited together primarily by Gilbert Johnson with direction from Linda Lee and Dan Inosanto after Bruce's death.

Illustrations were by Bruce and taken from his notes. Read it 20 years ago but the posts above showing an achilles lock, single boston crab, and a catch style calf crusher are very interesting. They would appear to demonstrate some of the influence Gene had on Bruce's development as a martial artist.

Lee was a master of martial arts that are somewhat cave man compared to todays standards of MMA, in an mma match against a strict BJJ guy though he might have a chance, a competent bjj guy would beat him easily though, probably purple belts and up would have a high consistency in beating him in an mma match and even a blue belt could catch him in something.

Yes his notes were edited together primarily by Gilbert Johnson with direction from Linda Lee and Dan Inosanto after Bruce's death.

Illustrations were by Bruce and taken from his notes. Read it 20 years ago but the posts above showing an achilles lock, single boston crab, and a catch style calf crusher are very interesting. They would appear to demonstrate some of the influence Gene had on Bruce's development as a martial artist.

Interesting yes, but no indication of skill. Where are the pages on takedown defense?

Unfortunately we have no evidence of Lee's true skills and abilities aside from revisionist history propagated by clout chasers that want to sell their own programs on the back of an icon. Denouncing Lee is a criminal offense in most martial arts spaces, and doesn't work for business.

Bruce Lee had electrolysis procedures to remove sweat glands and never sparred without a cage to protect his face. The man was obsessed with his image not about athletic performance.

He never demonstrated punching power and his famed speed is incredibly exaggerated while being nothing special in comparison to boxers near the same weight class. We didn't even see him show off in any other athletic endeavors to make him stand out as someone physically special.

Even his famed ideas on cross training were not original during and before his own time. He is just famous, and that fame came from acting.

No amount of hero worship, even from other heroes, justifies believing something when there is no hard evidence.

Well I kinda thought that part went without saying. Apparently I gave certain Sherdoggers too much credit. Some of you may have confused him with David Carradine who was actually a dancer in the beginning.

Ernesto Hoost respects the crescent kicks of David Carradine.

Ernesto Hoost respects the crescent kicks of David Carradine.
I’ve heard he had quite a reach with his kicks. I actually attended an event in a bar in my city mere months before Carradine died. He was the guest of honour. Because I thought Kung Fu was the shit growing up. But, I already knew Carradine wasn’t a real MA per se. but, he was iconic in movies and tv. And very dear to my heart as a child watching Kung Fu.

I was actually able to separate the two things.

Lee was a master of martial arts that are somewhat cave man compared to todays standards of MMA, in an mma match against a strict BJJ guy though he might have a chance, a competent bjj guy would beat him easily though, probably purple belts and up would have a high consistency in beating him in an mma match and even a blue belt could catch him in something.
rozenstruik-ufc.gif

ironic a caveman without technique is literally the HW champion.

Francis Ngannou had never trained in MMA until adulthood.
Interesting yes, but no indication of skill. Where are the pages on takedown defense?

Unfortunately we have no evidence of Lee's true skills and abilities aside from revisionist history propagated by clout chasers that want to sell their own programs on the back of an icon. Denouncing Lee is a criminal offense in most martial arts spaces, and doesn't work for business.

Bruce Lee had electrolysis procedures to remove sweat glands and never sparred without a cage to protect his face. The man was obsessed with his image not about athletic performance.

He never demonstrated punching power and his famed speed is incredibly exaggerated while being nothing special in comparison to boxers near the same weight class. We didn't even see him show off in any other athletic endeavors to make him stand out as someone physically special.

Even his famed ideas on cross training were not original during and before his own time. He is just famous, and that fame came from acting.

No amount of hero worship, even from other heroes, justifies believing something when there is no hard evidence.

Jim Kelly a real fighter, one of the first guys in Hollywood who trained with Royce Gracie. said Lee is the best martial artist he's seen in his life.

I’ve heard he had quite a reach with his kicks. I actually attended an event in a bar in my city mere months before Carradine died. He was the guest of honour. Because I thought Kung Fu was the shit growing up. But, I already knew Carradine wasn’t a real MA per se. but, he was iconic in movies and tv. And very dear to my heart as a child watching Kung Fu.

david-carradine-lone-wolf.gif

Brodie Lee? Ben banged his girl and punched him for it.

Ha, in seriousness though (I just needed to post a Carradine gif) I always find it laughable how dim minds require such absolutes to make sense of things. As if Bruce Lee isn't respectable because he didn't rip men's hearts out in street fights, or Clint Eastwood sucks because he wasn't a real gunslinger. I'd be honored to shake hands and share some conversation with either.

Reactions: Isa
Anything over 30 minutes of experience with a 90s instructional VHS should be enough to get the W

rozenstruik-ufc.gif

ironic a caveman without technique is literally the HW champion.

Francis Ngannou had never trained in MMA until adulthood.

Jim Kelly a real fighter, one of the first guys in Hollywood who trained with Royce Gracie. said Lee is the best martial artist he's seen in his life.

“Martial artist. “ means different things to different people.

After I had trained a few years of submission grappling, and was 240-250 lbs of in good shape, I was pretty sure I could get ahold of Bruce without him landing a KO punch (I boxed too) and slam him and choke him or break something. Now that I’ve only trained a handful of times the last 9 years, and I get beat up in grappling (again) by most of the decent guys when I do go, I think little Bruce punches me a lot and hurts me before I can take him down and crush him. I can still kickbox a little, but Bruce had superior confidence in what he did, and that is wayyy more important than people really know.

I can't remember a fight scene of Randy Couture, Tito Ortiz, Anderson Silva, or Bisping where they were on the ground for that long or doing BJJ.

Bruce

WTF? No displays of punching power. I feel like counter culture says its cool to say little Bruce Lee had no power.

He's known for his demos of power. Also Joe Lewis, a heavyweight and Bruce hater, admitted to UFC fighter Stephen Thompson that Bruce hit him the hardest.

Also Dan Inosanto, mentioned how Bruce and him would spend entire days working on TDD from single and double legs. That's part of why Dan makes it part of his curriculum and seminars.

Bruce is no martial saint, but it gotta give credit where it's due.

Attachments

• bruce lee armbar.JPG
    bruce lee armbar.JPG
    212.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
who knows, purple belt and up? as others have said, he did train some grappling. at least promoting the idea you should train striking and grappling wasn't common back in that day. if he bothered to put a submission in the movie, he must've valued grappling to some degree

PGQ0SWfPHxUFlGmPW8JplIFf6d-flRCIB01A22buXH5gYYbC0IKjLEcXW6-SbRH9WOeCqNULa6Ubw4w8sRlSlJjDcCv9b7-pZl3SJcuOWgKgtXISwItNLvvsFr3bTZdJTZxch-4

Keanu Reeves has also trained BJJ and I would trust him to be more competitive against a BJJ bluebelt than Bruce Lee

Back