Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

Opinion What benefit does US get selling weapons and F35s to UAE?

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Oceanmachine, Sep 12, 2020 at 2:48 PM.

1. Oceanmachine Purple Belt

Hell how does this help Israel unless these Arab states take Palestinians who are stateless and give them citizenship?

UAE and the entire Gulf is worse than Iran in ideology. And are wahhibists.

They will reverse engineer these planes and have no loyalty to West or US or anything but Islam and money.

AndroidRage, Bald1 and LangfordBarrow like this.
  2. Hawkeye Pierce M*A*S*H 4077th Belt Platinum Member

trump gets richer and probably a hotel

3. Gutter Chris Circus Ninja Southwest Voodoo Wizard

Selling weapons is the business our country is in dude. This is like asking mcdonalds why they sell hamburgers.

BAKM, Jballer, woodguyatl and 18 others like this.
  4. Yehudim Green Belt

They won’t/can’t reverse engineer those planes

It’s a bribe so that hopefully if worse comes to worst, US pilots will operate them in defense of the UAE

Bald1 likes this.
  5. Mr Holmes 67 61 73 73 69 75 73 20 63 6c 61 79

Is there a reason why we wouldn't sell them weapons?

6. MRT Black Belt

I am not commenting on the political and ideological points you raise...but I suspect their capability to reverse engineer something as complex as an F35 is going to be far more limited than you think.

Consider the China - U.S. spat involving Huawei. China has *vast* resources and expertise, and yet:

"Huawei has invested heavily in its own research and development as part of a broader Chinese effort to move away from reliance on foreign technology. HiSilicon, a Huawei subsidiary in Shenzhen, is now one of the most advanced Chinese chip designers.

But even HiSilicon still uses electronic design automation software sold by U.S. firms Cadence and Synopsys to design its chips. HiSilicon also relies completely on the Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. and Korean chipmakers like SK Hynix and Samsung to manufacture the actual chips. Those chipmakers in turn rely on American machines from companies like Lam Research and Applied Materials.

China's Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corp., widely seen as the country's most promising competitor to the Taiwanese company, uses U.S. machines as well. But SMIC's manufacturing technology is at least several years behind its Taiwanese competitors, analysts say, meaning it could not immediately substitute even mid-range chips — 14- and 16-nanometer chips — in Huawei's current smartphones.

"Even if you buy the talent and the professors, you can't buy the equipment," says Brett Simpson, a senior analyst at Arete Research. "You design a chip using U.S. software and you build a 'fab' [or manufacturing plant], using U.S. capital equipment. That's the bottom line."

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/28/8626...as-huawei-could-knock-out-its-global-5g-plans

That is for semiconductor chips...can you imagine how such limitations might translate to producing a viable combat aircraft?

D3THRONED, volodya and LangfordBarrow like this.
  7. ElKarlo Steel Belt

Yeah definitely won't be an issue. They're too lazy. Also the pilots will be mercenaries.
    I hate the Arab states, but I'd rather sell them weapon systems than have us fight their wars for them.
    Bet if Obama was in charge we'd refuse SA weapon sales, but we'd be involved in Yemen

Stoic1 and Yehudim like this.
  8. matheuss92 Orange Belt

The deal is t9 counter balance iran in case of war

9. LangfordBarrow StickAndMove Platinum Member

They don't sell tbeir secret sauce to McDonald's... {<shrug}

Maybe sone CEO would and bail in a golden parachute but what does that do for the investors?

10. LangfordBarrow StickAndMove Platinum Member

Because they might use them against our interests or against civilians.

11. LangfordBarrow StickAndMove Platinum Member

Too lazy? <Prem973>

12. Hadron90 Black Belt

It keeps Russia and China out of the region. UAE wants weapons. They are going to get them from somewhere. Would you rather us be their military ally or Russia?

n...not crazy, Halifax and panamaican like this.
  13. ElKarlo Steel Belt

The Arabs? Are you kidding? In the UAE, slaves do all the labor and expats do all the technical work. The natives sit around and do-nothing.

Yehudim and SATW like this.
  14. Yehudim Green Belt

It’s a rare form of ethnic stereotyping that is actually true lol. Although it differs from country to country

Saudi Arabia is the worst offender but manual labor or extremely high skill work is reserved for foreigners generally speaking in the Gulf Arab countries

Edit: it is due to oil wealth and generous welfare to keep the population from revolting that makes them lazy.

There’s nothing inherently lazy about Bedouin Arab culture, I don’t think

15. panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

It's ally building.

First, it's giving them something they can't make on their own. They appreciate that. Second, if they can't build or maintain those assets on their own, they become dependent on us for keeping them in working order.

The end result is that the weapons are tools that tie them to us for future need. It's soft power.

16. Krallang Pleb Double Yellow Card

I don't think the OP know's what he's talking about. My first hand experience with the F35 involved designing and building the power supply for the radar.

Goodluck reverse engineering a 35 layer board. Let me know how it works out in 15-20 years.

17. Oceanmachine Purple Belt

The chinese can. They can sell it to the chinese the technology. Why do you a small cog in the system think that others smarter than you in foreign nations cant? Talk about arrogance.
    Oh you trust the UAE?

You win the Darwinian award

LangfordBarrow likes this.
  18. Krallang Pleb Double Yellow Card

see above me, they just don't have access to the proprietary equipment needed to even build the technology.

Were not talking about commericial phones or computers. Were talking about the most advanced aircraft on the planet.

Infact I'd the russians would be the only ones capable of reverse engineering it. Doubt they could ever produce it before we moved on to the next generation aircraft.

The US military budget makes this so.

I feel like you are uninformed. I might technically have been a cog but I think having the title of first Aerospace Engineering Technician in R&D then Later Aerospace Engineer in R&D gives me a little credence.

I'd love to hear what your personal experience is in the matter.

nicapica, D3THRONED, Rholk and 4 others like this.
  19. Fluffernutter Silver Belt

Already commented on above

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020 at 4:14 PM
  20. Fluffernutter Silver Belt

UAE has mandatory conscription and takes pride in their air force.

But, we do have an AF base within the country as well.

My guess is the UAE hopes we will be partners with them in case they go to war with Iran.

ElKarlo likes this.